TCCoA Forums banner

t-bird vs mustang wheel sizes

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Audiobahnbird 
#1 ·
hello everyone... i'm new here.
can anyone tell me if 2005 mustang wheels will fit my 1992 tbird? i've just bought the car and i'm looking for any ideas on completing a nice bird. any assistance would be great.

#2 ·
Sorry, wrong bolt pattern ... and a bit too much positive offset. Bolt pattern can be changed on the T-Bird a few different ways.

Try a search in this forum under "Mustang wheel", lots will come up. Basically, it's the same issue as trying to put 94 - 04 Mustang wheels on, 5 on 4.5" compared to 5 on 4.25" pattern for the Bird. But the 05 wheels have about 15 mm more positive offset (on the 8" wheel) compared to the SN95 Mustangs.

cheers
Ed N.

#3 ·
diffrent bolt pattern, someones gonna get offended and say you need to use the search so im going to say it, hey bud, try searching for info,

but no tbird bolt pattern is

5x4.25 whiles the stangs are 5x4.5" just like the vics(anything related such as a maurder, & rangers

peep the 18s dawggggggg rolling deep on 18s, holler

yeah 18x8 38mm backspacing (maybe?) 5x4.25 borbet type td's

#4 ·
o yeah we share bolt patterns with two of fords best made vehicles, ha, tarus and licoln LS

#5 ·
And the lincoln Mark VIII, and I think the Windstar.

#6 ·
whats wrong with the lincoln LS? its a nice lookin car

#7 ·
nothing, see, people think when i say the tarus was one of the best cars ford made im kiding, but IMO anything that can sell that much, and have so many diffrent versions over a close to 15 yr period, be more misguided then our thunderbirds, and still not get canceled till 05 when they finaly just came out with a new car to convey a new image, goes down in my books as being an exceptional car, even tho it was a piece of crap at certain moments

#8 ·
mark 8 is pretty much our platform, yeah windstar is one two, tarus hub

#9 ·
fast Ed N said:
Sorry, wrong bolt pattern ... and a bit too much positive offset. Bolt pattern can be changed on the T-Bird a few different ways.

Try a search in this forum under "Mustang wheel", lots will come up. Basically, it's the same issue as trying to put 94 - 04 Mustang wheels on, 5 on 4.5" compared to 5 on 4.25" pattern for the Bird. But the 05 wheels have about 15 mm more positive offset (on the 8" wheel) compared to the SN95 Mustangs.

cheers
Ed N.

After the hub swap the 16x7 05 mustang offset fits our cars perfectly, better than the SN95 offset IMO.

#12 ·
Yeah Eric.... if your Stang hubswapped and like some nice 16X7s for the "sleeper T-Bird on-the-street" LOOK while you stay busy blowing-away '05 GTs and even one's share of '03/'04 Terminator/Cobras -there's nothing like 'em! :D

peace out-
-mike
P.S. And don't mind the 4X4 look... I'm old school, and with her "track" LOOK, her attire and accompanying rim/rubber of choice will do 'plenty' to fill up them wheelwells... -all in due time of course.

#14 ·
I can only answer one of your questions... the one I have first hand experience in-

The hood is the glass Cobra-R cowl style from Legendary (i.e. Fast Glass, or whatever Larry and his crew -still in business or whatever? -are doing any more.)

Yours in a '92 and at the time Legendary was the only 'game' in town for us '96/'97 folks for aftermarket glass hoods, so I bit only because what's UNDER it woudn't fit w/the OEM stock steel '96.

Others can speak better for hoods for model years such as yours, maybe Age Classic, Cervini's... I'm not for certain. Of course the new GP on the smooth cowl hoods "now" gives even the '96/'97 owners an alternative and that's a great thing.

As for wheels, most of the Lincoln Mark VIII's flavors will cross over to the T-Birds and Cougies, same MN12 platform, same bolt circle PID, but as for the styles available and per your tastes, that's where your research and homework come in.
If you're into looking and viewing Mark VIII wheels and styles aside from the custom aftermarket wheel vendors and outlet direct (tons of them over the I-Net), one suggestion would be to spend a little time maybe viewing some of the owner's rides over on the www.markviii.org boards.

I know little to nothing about bodykits as that's not my style, sorry.

Good luck in your search...

peace out-
-mike

#15 ·
mark 8 is a very slightly tweaked mn12 platform called the fn10

continentals have the 5x4.25 bolt circle also, there based off a taurus platform

92 birds have a few choices in hoods but i dont think ive seen a cobra r style hood on an 93 and below, but then again i dont really look for them and could be very wrong...

#18 ·
its a shame it probably wont ever look that good, paints going up, car might be lowered soon, it needs alot work suspension wise so for sure very soon, im just hesistant to start riping into that like that

#20 ·
im poor brotha, between my truck senior week, my girls prom and other assorted payments of things, im brrrrrrrooooookkkkkkkeee

#21 ·
and its not that good, i hide the ickyness in the pics, got the good angles, im just a good photograpgher, and it has gotten a little worse, but when i go all out and clean it, i get all tyhe dirt off, so the true color comes out, what i wanna see all the time, with just a light wax and a light wash, instead of 4 hours of detailing to get it to look like that

#22 ·
I can understand your problems, luckily last year the money that woulda went into prom and class trip and such went into my new konig 17s and tires, but only becausde i basically hated everyone in my class. I did, however, go to my junior prom, and that was freakin awesome, the girl i took actually wanted to take my bird instead of a limo, it was her idea, so i made it nice and sparkly for the night, and then it rained lol. Are you taking the bird to prom? I wanna see some pics if so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.