Question for the Wheel/Tire Gods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
TSTaCC President

Send a message via AIM to Bob Kinee Send a message via MSN to Bob Kinee Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Kinee Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Kinee
Question for the Wheel/Tire Gods

Alright, well i am looking at a set of 17x8 wheels for my Mark VIII with a 40MM offset. I was wondering if that offset is going to be alright being that my bird has 18x7.5s with a 40MM offset and those go pretty close to the outer lip of the wheelwell.

My next question is what is the best size tire option for that wheel. I like a lot of meat on the tire width but fear what will happen when I go too wide (especially because I have a module which lowers the car extremely low if need be). I just want to be able to cruise low but not rip off the tires on the bolts. I also need something to keep the traction when i am running, because my Michelin 225s on my factory 16s are not very grippy.

(2)93 lx 5.0s BOTH sunrise red
Double the pinkiness!
President of the Tri-State ThunderBird and Cougar Club
www.TSTaCC.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:50 PM
PostWhore

When you compare 2 wheel widths that have the same offset number, the difference in width will be split equally between the inside and outside. So in this case, you would have 1/4" extra on the inside, and 1/4" on the outside, compared to your 7.5" wheels.

Lots of people have 8" at +40 on MN12 and FN10 cars, that will be a good fit. As for tire size, that depends on your budget, and how close to stock diameter you want to get. 245/50/17 is a good choice, but there is limited selection in that size. 235/50/17, 235/55/17 are others that fit well. Some people go with 245/45/17, since there is a huge amount of selection available. But that size is about 1" shorter than stock, so you end up with a big fender gap on a stock ride height car.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
TSTaCC President

Send a message via AIM to Bob Kinee Send a message via MSN to Bob Kinee Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Kinee Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Kinee
How about an appropriate size for 255s?

(2)93 lx 5.0s BOTH sunrise red
Double the pinkiness!
President of the Tri-State ThunderBird and Cougar Club
www.TSTaCC.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 AM
PostWhore

Some people are running 255/50/17, which is a bit taller than stock. You may end up with a bit of rubbing in the rear, if the fender lips aren't rolled or trimmed. Another choice is 255/45/17, which is just over 1/2" shorter than stock, around 26.0" diameter. Less chance of interference with that size.

cheers
Ed N.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in