15"/17" Wheels-same Diameter Tires-what? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

15"/17" Wheels-same Diameter Tires-what?

OK what are the differences? Sidewalls are less on the 17's so handling is better, right? How about ride? More wall softer ride? TRACTION?-taller sidewall flexes more so traction should be better, yes/no?
1. Handling?
2. Ride?
3. Traction?

Given a choice why are wheel tire sizes getting taller?
WELD has 12lb. 15" x 8" wheels. My 17" x 9" Bullitts are 25lbs. My rears are 10.5" and 28lbs. with a 315/35 tire(MUSTANG). If a 15" lightweight wheel/tire had a nice ride and excellent traction what would I lose in handling given I could find a 15" tire wide enough? Long winter isn't it? LOL I need to put my brain into hibernation. Thanks, just looking at theory here. Also concerned to get Alan's 10" 3800 rpm stall converter to hook. Thanks, mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
straightline performance and comfort go with more sidewall, cornering go with low profile
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

As I gigured but will the brakes on my '99 Stang fit with 15" wheels? I have to check that but have seen a pic pf one with what appear to be WELD star wheels, VERY LIGHT and can get a 12" wide rim for the back! Then how wide a tire can I get for a 12" rim, not being a wicked expensive Hoosier Pro street radial made for rods. Can't afford. M&H has a street radial called drag radial!!LOL 390/45-15. That would be wide enough to hook, huh? That's about a 15" center section, wow. maybe my 315 Sumitomo's will work with Alan's 10" converter. maybe try that first. Thanks for listening. mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in