Offset for 19's or 20's on a Mark VIII? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Offset for 19's or 20's on a Mark VIII?

I've been searching the forums but not found a definite answer for a Mark VIII...
Whats a good offset for a 8.5" wide - 19" or 20" rim for a first gen Mark? I'd like to lower the car a bit hopefully if possible, but don't want rubbing. Any one with 19's or 20's on their Mark please chime in
Thanks!

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM
CEO, WT Club

Send a message via AIM to GODSPEED Send a message via MSN to GODSPEED
For an 8.5" width, around +35 is the "sweet spot" I believe.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

'13 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L V8, Auto, Brembo, Black - Daily Dark Horse
'11 Edge SEL AWD 3.5L V6, Loaded, Black - For the Misses
'98 F-150 XLT RegCab 8'Bed, 4.6L V8 4x4 ORP Oxford White - Work Truck

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
With an 8-8.5" wide wheel you have a lil more room to work with.

19X8 +35mm offset, w/255-40-19 rubber.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I want to thank Brad for all the amazing help this past month + with trying to get me set up with a set of wheels. His knowledge is outstanding and service is far beyond anyones I've come across in years! I'd recommend anyone talk to him about wheels first (especially you US guys) as his prices and service are better than any I've come across, and I've been looking for a couple months for a set of wheels. I just didn't want to go through the ordeal of paying taxes, duties, shipping across the border etc. and found a set that Brad didn't offer for a decent price up here in Canada. Brad's prices even on the stuff I can get up here are cheaper to about the same as I found here, but his exceptional service is what I'd go with and buy from him!
Thanks yet again Brad
Jon

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 PM
CEO, WT Club

What did you end up going with? Tire sizes?

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I ended up ordering 20" Driv Royales, with 255/35-20 Falken FK452 tires. I'm still crossing my fingers though about the offset on these, but have been assured by others they will fit. The place I got them from will send me spacers if I need them
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 PM
CEO, WT Club

What width and offset?

-Joel

Previous MN12s:

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Sorry Godspeed, missed your post. They are 8.5" x 45mm... I hope the offset is fine, they do measure wider than 8.5" so I hope I'm good. The company said I'd have no problems, but would send spacers if needed

...and look what showed up today
These look sweet! Wierd they have two valve stems though (see pics!) I had them install a flush mount one on the visible one, and they put a regular w/chrome sleeve on the inner. I'm just waiting on the hubcentric rings, and for the salt to get cleaned off the roads a bit and then they go on the car!!!

Sorry 'bout the pics, only have my phone camera:

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC

Last edited by Icarus; 10-07-2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Told the wrong offset by the manufacturer
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Thread Killer

Need pics on the car, those look awesome.

As of 10-20-06 DOHC POWERED
Painted Vista blue as of 08
242hp/251tq
[email protected] [email protected] Byron Il
RobertP plate modded: 5-23-08
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Well, I put these Driv's on without the centering rings just to see how they'd fit...
The center hub of the rim rubs on the caliper bracket badly. A lil finessing of the bracket with a grinder (I'm painting them anyways) and a 3-5mm spacer, they fit (I could have cleared it without the spacer, but I didn't want to take too much off the bracket...)
So anyone thinking of getting these, they will not directly bolt on!

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

...and now for the pics (camera phone, sorry!):

Rims on only pass. side:

Fronts look great ow that they fit!:
For rears, I may put a spacer in thou to match front a lil better (depends how ya look at 'em!):

Rears bolted on fine without doing anything:

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

And here is the brackets I was mentioning that I needed to clearence:
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
5th Gear Poster

They look friggin' huge leaning against the back of the car! I just put on some Edge 262's and they were close to hitting the caliper bracket on mine (same brakes as you) I was suprised to say the least. Clearance in that area is more a function of wheel design than offset in the end though. And dual valve stems is creeping me out, is there a purpose for that?

Black '97 XR7
Magnaflow almost true duals w/ 3" rolled tips
Transgo bucking kit w/ aux cooler
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

hehe, no purpose of the dual stems other than another leak point, lol... Looks cool from the outside though, would be even cooler if they only had the inner one!

I agree on the wheel design/offset function as these rims do have a much wider flange face there than most I've seen in the past...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

My caliper clearance for reference.

And my calipers are getting repainted in either bright silver or red, still havent decided.

Black '97 XR7
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thats about the clearance I have now that I modified the bracket.

...red always looks good on a black car, so does silver... actually I guess alomst any color would look good with black I wish I still had my black Mark VIII in ways

Don't order these rims for a Mark VIII unless you plan on finding and installing longer wheel studs so the lugs have enough thread. They clear fine with the spacers in every aspect but this (and the brake bracket, but thats a wheel design flaw... not a result of the offset.)
I looked around for longer studs, but without making the holes bigger in the hubs (drilling them out with a hand drill is not my way of doing this in an acceptable manner ) to accept new studs, I can't find anything that fits that is about 5-7mm longer...

Last edited by Icarus; 05-16-2007 at 03:45 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Well, the Drivs' went back to the store and I'm trying a different style/manufacturer... more to come later...

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

This is the week I've been waiting for, new rims and tires are on the way finally!!!

Brad, I'll be calling about 19's or 20's if these don't fit this time, these other places up here all have the same info and it appears to be wrong!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
5th Gear Poster

Wow this has been a long time coming, hope it works out better for you this time.

Black '97 XR7
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 02:52 AM
TCCoA Wheel Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to cudaz101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
This is the week I've been waiting for, new rims and tires are on the way finally!!!

Brad, I'll be calling about 19's or 20's if these don't fit this time, these other places up here all have the same info and it appears to be wrong!
Wish you better luck this time. Maybe hit me up with the manufactuer, style, size & specs?? Might be able to tell ya what to expect.

Brad

1990 & 1994 SC's
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I sent you a PM Brad, I'll reveal the rims/tires in this post once I find out if they fit or not
Thank you,
Jon
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

This has been all summer in the making to get a set that I could use, and finally I found one that went on with minimal hassle!

My '94 Mark VIII with 20" Giovanna Dalars:

The tires are Nitto 555's... 255/35-20 all the way around. I had to shave the upper ball joint stud that sticks down from the arm so it was close to flush with the arm, and rounded the end a bit so I wouldn't risk it rubbing on tire. I'm pretty well positive the front brake caliper brackets that I shaved for the Driv's would fit fine with these without shaving them. I still need to roll the rear fender lip right up top a little, as I hit a good bump at highway speeds (when the car lowers itself) and it rubbed a bit. I'm going to lower the front end a lil more too, and leave the rear height as-is.
With a 245/35-20 tire (the best match to factory size) I don't think I'd need to worry about the upper ball joint stud, but maybe the rear fender lip still thou.

Brad, I'll get you some more pics of the clearances soon so you can see them better. Thank you again for all the help!

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

They look good and I'm happy that you found a set that fit. You became a victim of your own obsession to have something specific instead of what would have worked though. I've done it a few times ( or more) myself.

I also had to grind the stub of the upper ball joint to have tire clearance up front. I know Traveler did as well. Same 255 width, just in a 50 series for his & my 17's Rim width doesnt seem to matter as mine are 7" wide & IIRC Traveler's are 8" or 8.5".

Black '97 XR7
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMags View Post
...You became a victim of your own obsession to have something specific instead of what would have worked though. I've done it a few times ( or more) myself...
I agree it was a bit of an obsession to have something specific, or maybe more so my own personal taste to get something I liked that didn't look like a giant slab of chrome, as most rims this size look like that imho! If this set hadn't fit well, my next choice would have been the KMC Dimes, which are similar looking to the Drivs'.
I think it's the diameter of the tire that is making the ball joint stud come close, as mine are about 1/4" on either side of the hub closer to the stud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in