TCCoA Forums banner

95 SC as a daily driver, Pro's, cons?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kamakazie_1 
#1 ·
Hey y'all. I've been trying to decide what car I'd like to replace my 1996 4.6L cougar with. I drove a 95 SC 5 speed a couple weeks ago and loved it to death. But I've heard of certain reliability problems with the 3.8, even the SC ones. My '96 cat has been reliable as hell, but I'm kinda getting tired of it. So can anyone tell my if it's a good idea to replace my cat with an SC?

#6 ·
Yeah he says he drove a 95 5 speed that he wanted to make a daily driver, I just hope some of the 95 5 speeds get saved so I can buy a rust free low mileage one and it wont be impossable to find. :( after seeing a 94 and a 95 sc in my local junk yard its been making me think that these cars are going to go fast now that they are nearing the 10 year marker.

#7 ·
My 95 5-speed was my daily driver for almost 4 years, up until about 14 months ago. That includes going through Ontario winters. :( It was always a fun, reliable, comfortable driver, and it got through the crappy weather OK with 4 performance winter tires mounted on the stock wheels. Unfortunately I racked up the miles on it, went from about 35,000 miles when I got it just under 3 years old, to 110,000 miles by the time I stopped using it as a daily driver. Now that I have a company demo, I only put about 6,000 miles on it last summer. If I had to do it over again, I would have liked to just used the SC as a summer car only ... but I had my old crapcan 68 Cougar for that already ! ;)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

#8 ·
I drive my '92 SC every day (50 mile round trip to work and back in Atlanta traffic). Bought it brand new back in August of '92, watched them roll it off the truck, had only 3 miles on it. I just turned over 187K miles. All cars will have problems from time to time, but if you stay on top of the maintenance you should be able to drive them for as long as you can get parts. Mine is strictly a driver. I don't take it to the track (couldn't tell you what the 1/4 mile time is), and that may be one reason that it has been so dependable (relatively speaking).

#9 ·
The only real problem with the SC engine has to due with the headgaskets, which I'm sure you've heard about by now? I recently purchased one about 9 months ago and well besides having to replace them I've had no problems what so ever with my SC. I love it to death! Only down fall is driving on anything except dry roads :) Just to easy to break em loose. Also keep in mind everything you buy for an SC is about double the price of any other mn12.

As for having a 95 5sp as a daily driver I would say it's okay yet it is very rare and might be better kept in storage...

Anyhow that's my two cents.

-Tim

#12 ·
I drove my 90 5spd SC to work daily, 85 miles a day for 2 years, never had a problem... I've had this 95 Auto for 4 weeks, moved closer to work last year, only 20 miles a day on it now.... So far, so good... God only knows what it's been through before I got it... I have lousy luck with Auto Trannys probably the first thing to go..

RJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.