TCCoA Forums banner

Flashing OD Light On Dash

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  NetKeym 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 Thunderbird LX, V8 4.6L automatic 99K miles. I have used one mechanic since 2004. I had an intermittent overheating problem that began in 2006, & ended 6/2012. Twice the temp gauge reached the hot reading.
The 1st & 2nd time they replaced a (blown) 60 amp fuse, the thermostat, and fixed wiring . Third time I took into the shop my temp. gauge started reading above the normal point which it never does. I had the radiator sent out to be flushed and installed a new water pump.
This made a big difference. I can run the a/c and the temp gauge never goes beyond normal. Actually it stays between cold & normal. Worth the $400.00.
Two weeks laterI took my dog to his vet, round trip 70 miles. At around 30 miles the O/D Light on the dash started flashing. I was unable to get the od button to do anything. We arrived at vets, and stayed there for 1 1/2 hrs. When I started the car to leave, no warning light and the O/D button now works. So we started home. About a mile from our house the light comes on not flashing. I pulled into the garage and shut the car off. Took it back to shop. They had car for 10 days they said was an electrical problem. Fixed a loose connection from transmission to pc. (Righhht!)
Car was fine for a week. Had to drive to the vets and the O/D light came on again 1 mile from my house.
Took it back to shop.This time pulled code 1741. Shop says my fluid is several degrees hotter than should be. Cheep Fix- install an external cooler and replace transmission fluid with mercon V cost $285.00. Costly Fix- Replace the TC, install cooler and service with mercon V total cost $625.00.
Transmission problem occured after fixing the radiator & replacing the water pump. My transmission fluid isnt low, it is still pink. The car shifts fine . Why isn't radiator cooling trans. fluid? I forgot to mention this shop rebuilt my transmission in 2006 odometor 64100 miles.
Advice will be greatly appreciated. Just dont suggest a closer vet lol. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
was the ECM upgraded when the trans was rebuilt? TSB calls for a upgraded A5W0 ECM or a reflash if the Trans is changed.

#4 · (Edited)
No the ECM wasn't changed. He said it is working fine . He he did do re flash ( that's standard procedure) when he changed out the transmission. Told me running fine its same equipment they put in police cars so it can take more.
I had to drive to my SSA Hearing last week. Same roads as to the vets but only 60 miles. It was 89 degrees I drove at speeds of 65 mph the whole way. Only difference was I didn't set my cruise control and didn't run the a/c. I parked car in the shade raised the hood (to dissipate the heat in engine compartment) for 30 min. That motor puts off some heat. Car sat for 2 more hrs.
I drove home at 65 mph no a/c no cruise. My temp gauge reached the midpoint about 3 miles from home. Took back roads @ 35mph rest way car temp went down and the O?D light never came on this time.
My mech. says it is the consistent speeds of 65-70 that is overheating transmission causing the clutch to slip and making the torque converter overheat. NOTE: I asked if they notice any slippage when they drove it he said no. They did drive it allot trying to recreate my issue. But they never got the OD light to come on either.
The 1741 code came up the second time back and after I said something about the transmission slipping once when on rough roads.

#5 ·
as long as it was reflashed its ok.

#7 · (Edited)
So what should I do? The 625.00 repairs- i.e. new torque converter, external cooler with mercon V fluid? Is that the fix for the transmission? Will the overdrive light stop coming once these repairs are done. 2. Would just replacing the transmission fluid with the mercon V be sufficient? 3. If I do the external cooler and change the transmission fluid to the mercon V will that cool the transmission fluid to required parameters? Is that fix just a temporary band- aid? Will the torque converter still go bad and need replacing? I drive about 5000 miles a year.
HELP i just dont know what to do to solve this problem. Thanks furie4

#11 ·
yeah, second opinions are always a good thing. otherwise you can never go wrong with an external cooler. the 4R70W runs uncomfortably hot out of the box. and if you didn't put mercV in it to start with when it was rebuilt for petes sake get it flushed out. the torque convertors in these transmissions do NOT like dex/merc, or merc3 at all, and will start to shudder.

#12 ·
O.K. we now have gone through 2 more weeks of messin around with the transmission on my t-bird. Ford dealer said they got a code (had to take it in twice for one code) and that the transmission fluid was overheating. At first he said the coolant line was clogged. He would need to keep it another day in order to clear it. Today I get a call they now say it is a valve body in the transmission? For them to pull the pan to check it will be $300.00. To replace valve body it will be $630.00.
So it is either the external cooler for trans. , the torque converter, or the valve body. Whats a person to do JEEZ!

#13 ·
So basically what you're saying is they don't know what is wrong and you're gonna pay while they hunt the problem down..... :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.