TCCoA Forums banner

open to limited slip (trac loc)

10K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Jon Hall 
#1 ·
OK guys I've searched here and Google but can't find anything. What does it take to make a open rear end to limited slip? Can I buy a kit or do I just need different clutches or do I need a new differential? If some one can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

#3 · (Edited)
I'll just add to what Rob said..

If you have Pumpkin that is "open" now, and you want to add Trac-Lock to it..

Just buy a IRS 8.8 Trac-Lock, the gears you want 4:10's for example, and a clutch rebuild kit if you're buying a used Trac-Lock..

After you got all those parts together...Take it your favorite "Pumpkin Rebuilder", and have him build it right...

Then again it might be a hell of a lot easier to just buy a pumpkin from an 89-93 Supercoupe..Since they all came with Trac-Lock..

Buy the gears you want, and a clutch rebuild kit..Then take it to someone to rebuild for you..

Rayo..

#4 ·
Then again it might be a hell of a lot easier to just buy a SuperCoupe pumpkin since they all came with Trac-Lock..
Ahem.

1994-1995 SCs didn't always get TracLok - several use Traction Control instead.

Else there wouldn't be any 3.31 opens out there ...

RwP

#6 ·
I found a 28-spline trac-lok carrier on Ebay for $50; that's worth a look.

Either way you need the clutch rebuild kit, new bearings, and gears.

A Mark VIII case is aluminum, but still an open diff; it's 20 pounds lighter, I think.

#8 ·
And to read the description carefully. :) The side gears probably aren't cut for the circlips on the halfshafts of an IRS rear:

"Application. This 8.8" Yukon Gear Duragrip Posi Differential will fit solid axle equipped V8 Mustangs from 1986 to 2004, including GT, Bullitt, Mach 1, and SVT Cobra models. Requires use of 28 spline axles. (Will not fit 2003-2004 SVT Cobra)."

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. for the price I think I might as well just buy the tracloc from SCP.I was hoping that I would be able to buy kit. Thanks again

**update**

from the info you guys gave me if i read correct if i buy a unit for solid axle i can have it machined for IRS?

#17 ·
If it needs it, yes.

They swapped to all beveled gears some time back (2003? 2004? Something like that) since the beveled gears work great in both designs, and the flat has a problem releasing the half shafts on an IRS.

There's another choice that folks aren't mentioning - you CAN remove the C clips from the half shafts. There's one guy here who said he did that with no problems.

Me? I've got two TrakLok rear diffs here already, and can find them in the yards every so often in a MN12. Found a 3L27 just yesterday in a... 1994 IIRC.

RwP

#13 · (Edited)
yes, the spider gears have a step machined into them for the Cclip on the axle shafts. if that's not their, good luck getting your axle shafts back out again. straight axles have a clip that's installed after the straight axle shafts are slid into the carrier. no need for the step.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=119374

it also might be a good idea to go out to the local salvage yards first and look for Tbirds with the right axle codes on the doors. sometimes you can make a killing if the yard doesn't know whats inside.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html

lot cheaper then buying a brand new unit. and unless it was severely abused, the carrier should be in near perfect shape, even if the bearings and gears are toast.

if its in good shape, just pop yours out, and pop it in with new clutches.

#15 ·
A.Baker said:
That particular Ford Racing Traction-Lok M-4204-F288 has been discontinued..

However..

Icarus said:
I just put in a FRPP Track-Lok unit (M-4204-F288) and it fits. I called FRPP and they confirmed this, and said the new stuff will fit IRS cars, but to look at the side gears to be sure as it may be old stock.

Rayo..

#19 ·
Ayep. A full pinion gear install kit would be recommended.

I'm not sure this is 100% of the parts you need, but there's kits such as those at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1198672&parttype=18601 (pay attention to the master kit). Also, Tommie Vaughn Performance Parts lists the FRPP kit M4201C (Summit has it, at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4210-c ).

Give you'll be in there, if you're doing the ring and pinion at the same time, I'd also look at the pinion sleeve kits available ( such as http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1198672&parttype=1001272 ) which eliminate the crush sleeve.

#20 ·
ya know, i was actually looking at those crush sleeve eliminator kits. are those really that great? i can see how they would be really nice for setting the preload, since wouldn't have to buy a new sleeve if you overtightened it.

is their any other benefit too them? i would imagine being solid they would keep the preload if you were slamming that differential with a lot of torque. i've herd of the crush sleeves being squeezed down under hard use, completely loosing the preload letting the pinion move around.

also yeah, your right about resealing it. suppose thats why i have the seals here for mine... forgot all about it, but those axle seals don't like shafts being removed and reinstalled. they do indeed tend to leak almost every time afterwords. plus their old anyway

#23 ·
There are other codes for a limited slip - if you'll check the gear article from the website main page, there's a nice list of the axle codes for with and without LSDs.

RwP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.