TCCoA Forums banner

Tranny slipping :(

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TBird94 
#1 ·
Ok so I've had my T Bird for a year and a half now. I got the tranny serviced at 75,600 and right now it's at 95,500. The tranny slipped about a month ago and everything was fine after that. This morning it slipped twice on the way to work and on the way back it slipped 3 damn times. I check the fluid and it smelled "hot" but didn't smell like it was cooking really bad. I'm gonna get a hold of a mechanic buddy of mine tomorrow and try to get to the bottom if this.

#3 ·
Been there, trying to get out......

In my case the piston in the transmission is stuck and does not get unstuck anymore. Sorry, not a mechanic just an owner operator.

In my case it is a full rebuild of the transmission, or buying a custom transmission from some one. According to the local mechanics, it is cheaper for me to buy a custom built transmission from some one out of state. I get an estimate of $3200 plus parts to rebuild the one I have.

#5 ·
In my case the piston in the transmission is stuck and does not get unstuck anymore. Sorry, not a mechanic just an owner operator.
It's not that difficult to replace an accumulator piston yourself. I've done it, and I'm not much of a mechanic. All you need are basic tools, parts and good instructions. A garage helps, but you could do the job in a driveway.

If the cylinder is damaged, you can get a sleeve 'kit'. I didn't need to put in a sleeve. I just used fine sandpaper to 'hone' the cylinder. Knock on wood, it's been running well for about 10 years with the new piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.