TCCoA Forums banner

how to remove headlights?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 ·
i ordered some headlights off of ebay..got the clear corners on without any issues....now how do i get those damn headlights off? i have a 94 and i cant for the life of me figure out how to take the headlights out...they got these wierd clamps on those black rubber things but i got no idea how im supposed to get them out..

step-by-step would be MUCH appreciated thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
The metal clips need to be pulled upward. A pair of snap ring pliers helps. I believe there are 3 per headlight, it's been awhile since I've had to replace one however.

Steps:
1. Remove one clip
2. Remove next clip
3. Remove last clip
4. Disconnect wires
5. Pull housing out

#4 ·
Lift the clamps up and pull the lights out. You'll have to pull the tabs that stick into the black thing out first.

#5 ·
I think I used snap ring pliers in one hand and small channel locks in the other to pull the tab upward.

I'm fairly certain a few broke. The broken ones work just fine, or at least they have for the past 3+ years.

#6 ·
I had a terrible time using snap ring pliers that were too small, It helps if you can pull the tab outward (towards the engine) as well as upward, there is a little ridge there it needs to come over.

Looks like it would be easy with the proper tools, or three small hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.