Rocker Rustproofing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Rocker Rustproofing

I've just had some rot taken care of in the rearmost part of my rockers, and I was thinking about trying to spray some rustproofing in there to help slow it down in future. Just wondered if anyone knows whether there is actually any space inside the rockers that you could spray rustproofing fluid into?

Looking at 94TchickinV8's album the front 2/3rds of the rocker looks to be full of some kind of foam/cement:

http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2721

And when I had mine repaired, the guy said there was a load of stuff in there that looked quite similar (from the pile of crap on the floor that he showed me). It looks like the rear ends may be hollow - the bit seems to go first from the pictures I've seen. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Kind of slapped together

That foam is supposed to help sound deadening, but the effect is to help rot out the rockers by holding water in the rockers.

If at all possible, pull that foam out.

Then you can have the insides sprayed with something like POR-15 first, then with a rust proofer.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM
5th Gear Poster

cut all rusty metal out, replace with new metal. Rust is like cancer once its there it spreads like wildfire. Then never drive it in the winter again.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:08 PM
PostWhore

Just spray oil or something similar inside and hope for the best. I removed my rear speakers and sprayed Krown KL-73, the same product the rust proofing services spray into door bottoms, etc. The only real way to get rid of / stop rust is to cut it out and replace metal. I opted to just spray anywhere I could to help slow things down (if that's even possible).

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Voice/Data Guru

I have seen this in action in the garden state .On the 1957 Plymouth Belvedere.

http://www.safestrustremover.com/

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 PM
PostWhore

There are a bunch of products like that one you mentioned ThunderChecken. I used Evapo-Rust for removing rust from bolts and stuff when I rebuilt the front-end on my 'bird. The parts you want to remove the rust from ideally need to be submerged so it works better for some stuff versus others. There is some gel rust dissolver I've seen at the auto parts store, I can't remember the brand off-hand, that might be a better option?

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I don't have much faith in internal coatings, seen way too many ziebarted MN12s with worse than average rust to believe it helps anything and granted there's better coatings out there but conceptually it's the same and I think anyone claiming success swallowed one hell of a placebo. I put more credence to an annual coating of kerosine/motor oil mixes.

Biggest problem these cars have with rust out is poor seam sealing and equally poor drainage. Figure out a way to prevent dirty liquid moisture getting in and give it someplace to go when it inevitably does. Take he bottoms of the front fenders for example:

This area is a major rust point, the windshield drains to them, as well as the sunroof if equipped. When it gets bad enough(especially when they get full of leaves) the front tips of the rockers start to rot out too. My solution? Ditch the fabric sound deadener material that absorbs water like a freaking sponge to start, then take out the stack of those god awful bare steel shims at the bottom of the fender and replace them with round plastic spacers. Why you ask? There's a drain channel stamped into the fender that's rendered USELESS by those flat steel shims! Huge improvement in drainage!

The rears are trickier but I've got a few ideas there too. 1. There's a giant window next to the fuel tank where the rear frame rails meet the rockers that I think let in a lot of water by way of underbody splash. This window just happens to be a straight shot to where the rockers rot out and I can't help but think a patch or baffle over it will help. 2. --And this will sound counterprocuctive-- drill a hole at the very bottom of the rocker panel just ahead of the wheelwell(not the wheel) joins the rocker. Same idea as the front, give the water somewhere to go, and you can extend the sunroof draintubes to use the same hole while your at it. 3. ditch all of the sound deadener/padding from inside the rear speaker holes and drill(which might be tricky, maybe a Dremel would be easier) a drain hole at the top of the rocker inside it for drainage(I think the wheelwells aren't seam sealed great or something because every MN12 I see up here has a shocking amount of rust starting there). I noticed a long time ago that SN95 Mustangs rarely have rocker rot out like these cars have and I poked around several to see how they were designed and low and behold the tops of the inner rockers don't even extend to the rear wheelwells, leaving a nice gap for drainage(and that was likely by design, 94/5 Mustangs had "functional" C scoops which would let in a lot of water).

-Matt
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
This is all fascinating, especially the last post about the way he panels go together. It was only the rear corners of my rockers that were affected. Rust has been cut out and I filled the rear wings behind the rear speakers with wax. I was thinking of making a drain hole just in front of the rear wheels and spraying wax/oil into the gap behind in the frame joint as it does seem to be just in the right place to help that section of the rocker rot out again.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
Matt, i completely agree with out on everything you said...i took my front wheel well liners off yesterday and found the bottom of the fenders filled with crap...and saw the spacers you are talking about...also saw the sponge fabric sound deadners hiding there behind the antenna motor...just terrible!

Ill have to find the rear holes you are talkin about! see if i can do some drilling mods to get that area safely drained

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM
pendejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymance View Post
.also saw the sponge fabric sound deadners hiding there behind the antenna motor...just terrible!
safely drained
I had weird little plants growing out of mine, they looked like alfalfa sprouts.

"Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away..."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
Quote:
Originally Posted by druggles85 View Post
I had weird little plants growing out of mine, they looked like alfalfa sprouts.
I never understood their purpose really...seem like they are for noise dampening from any wind noise or splashes that can be transmitted thru the wheel well cover into the opening between the door and the body?

My car is so loud, that would be my last concern really at this point...they wont be going back in...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Sound dampening for sure. You can hear the power antenna go up much more clearly without them.

-Matt
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by druggles85 View Post
Probably was from all the composting dead leaves, seeds and who knows what else behind it inside at the bottom of the fender.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM
5th Gear Poster

Dont put any foam type stuff in the rocker area its a sponge for moister.

For aircraft we use CorrosionX it is the only thing approved for the military and it claims to actually kill rust. You can purchase this stuff off amazon. Just drill a hole small enough to fit the red tube in and fog the area.

94 3.8 T-Bird Cardomain Sold to the junkman
1997 4.6L T-bird Laser Red HALO Headlight Conversion, Silencer Removed, Lowered Eibach 1 1/2inches, Bilstein Shocks, ART Catless Downtubes, Mandrel bent 2.5 Exhaust, Borla Mufflers, Mrk8 8.8 TL 3.73, 18x9 Black Saleens, BFGoodrich GForce Sport Comp-2 245/45/R18
2004 F-150 Single Cab 4.6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in