window reveals, paint time! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

window reveals, paint time!

I can't find them NOS for a reasonable price (one place claimed they had the front upper for over a hundred bucks, screw that), so it looks like I'll paint 'em with.. something.
I'm thinking maybe the spray on version of plasti-dip or a mist of Dupli-color rubberized undercoat (I happen to have a can of the stuff, but will test it on something else first).
I'm not sure how well either would hold up to Texas weather/sun, but it's worth a try I guess.
I suppose I could use satin trim paint as lots of folks do.

The rest of my trim looks pretty good still, so it bugs me that the front upper and rear upper/lower look this bad in comparison.

I read a lot of threads and people say the reveals just "pull off", but they don't specify which direction to pull.
Do I pull away from the car straight horizontally towards the bumpers, straight up vertically toward the sky, or more like a 45 angle?
Should I gently work them loose in a wave motion or just pull steadily in one direction only?
Do they pop off with a snap sound or more like slide off as with a speed clip of sorts?
Are there booby traps I should be mindful of, like locking tabs?

I'll be able to lift the squeegee portions up with, say, a credit card and then be able to slip my fingers or a heavy plastic spudge tool under there.
But, is there a special trim tool just for these strips or a generic tool that's good for doing it?
I certainly don't want to crack the glass by using it for leverage, so I reckon any tool used would just be to help me grip the reveal evenly to avoid denting or bending it.
Also, must the sides be removed (front or rear) in order to safely remove the upper/lowers?

The rubber (?; if it's rubber it has hardened to seem more like vinyl now) squeegee edges that contact the glass seem to be in ok shape aside from their somewhat stiffness.
I just need to refinish the metal parts of the strips, as the finish has gotten crisp from the sun and faded. I inadvertently scraped off a small spot from the lower back strip with my fingernail (but not down to bare metal), so they're very dried out and cooked.

I did manage to blacken them some with an old metal can of Color Back vinyl restorer. This stuff must not have a shelf life because it deepened the color as much as I could expect from such a faded state, however it didn't "restore" them to look as black as their neighboring trim. It also works well on the rubber door window belts and rear window seals, at least temporarily (time will tell on those).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear Poster

took mine to a auto glass shop he pulled mine off the tops moldings for me and showed me how to take the bottom of the back glass the guy ended up not charging me but even if he did it would have been cheaper then buying a either a windshield or back glass. I used a 3"prep tool to remove everything that was left on them(the only one that gave me the most trouble was the back bottom) and then sanded mine and then primed with a self etching primer and used black trim paint and while I was at it I did the wiper arms to it all came out great and still looks like it was done yesterday
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Has anyone here used this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in