Bumpers ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Bumpers ?

Can a good body shop repair bumpers on a 1991 T-bird ? I have some nicks and missing rubber on my front bumper.

I got the car painted a few months ago and the painter did NOT want to mess with the bumper.

He said if I get a new bumper he will paint it to match the rest of the car.

I had him paint the front bumper and it looks much better but of course the damage is still there.

The rest of the car looks great.

I have looked at used bumpers but they are all damaged in some way.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM
5th Gear Poster

Who does your painter get his work from? Is there a reason you don't want to use the bodymen that your painter knows?

"Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
̇

Garage
There's a reason..Body guys don't like messing around with these bumpers..Especially if they've ever been flexed in any way..

Once the bumper has flexed from an impact the paint on it spider webs in ways you can't even imagine, or sometimes even see..

They won't touch the bumper because of the amount of work that is involved in sanding it completely down..So it can be properly sprayed..

You can't paint over these urethane bumpers that have been flexed, and expect the paint to hold up well..Especially a front bumper..

Your best course of action is to find a used bumper cover from the junkyard for a 89-91 Thunderbird..
89-91 Thunderbird Front Bumper Cover.JPG

The front bumper on the 89-91 Thunderbirds however weren't the best design for engine cooling purposes though..

You have the V6 so this isn't as big of deal for you as it is for the V8 guys..

I consider the 92-93 Thunderbird bumper cover an upgrade over the bumper cover used on the 89-91's..

The 92-93 Thunderbird bumper cover is easily swapped over without any modifications..

92-93 Thunderbird bumper cover:
0015778_1992-1993-ford-thunderbird-wfog-lamps-wo-corner-lamps.jpeg

Just to elaborate a little more on whatever bumper cover you choose to get from the junkyard..It will have damage..That's almost a given..

The best way to prep these bumpers is to have them soda blasted..It's the safest media to strip the paint off with, and leaves a nice surface for new paint..

It's almost like buying a brand new bumper after it's been stripped, and as far as any imperfections go in the bumper cover..

They make a urethane filler that works great on these bumper covers..

1.Buy used bumper cover
2.Find someone to soda blast the used bumper cover
3.Take the bumper cover to a body shop to get painted, and filled
4.Install new bumper cover

Some may argue sanding these bumpers works just as good, but I assure you the time saved and quality of a soda blasted bumper cover is second to none..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 07-17-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: update pics..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks guys for the quick replies. The place I had the car painted is a national chain and they do a lot of bodywork. That said he just didn't want to touch the bumper. He says they are a total pain in the butt !!

I have checked junk yards and Ebay for used bumpers and all have more damage than mine.

Rayo thanks for your advice on what to do. I will definitely look into it.

My 1991 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 convertible has plastic and rubber bumpers and they are in great shape. Too bad people that had Tbirds in the 1990's just ran most of these cars in the ground both mechanically and cosmetically.

I applaud the people here for keeping these cars alive and looking in the gallery was quite impressive.

Take care.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:40 AM
PostWhore

When I went to get my SC bumper painted, the body shop wouldn't touch it. They sent it out to the one guy who does nothing but bumpers. That step alone was $600 :-( ... but it came back to them ready to spray so saved labor time in their shop at least for prep.

Just find a different bumper or call around to see if there is a "bumper guy" who fixes bumpers and that's it.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM
5th Gear Poster

Soda blasting does work well. I had it done to one of my 95LX front bumper covers so I could start mocking up a custom piece. Once done though, I will probably cast one in fiberglass for the car if I get the results Im looking for in the mock up because these can be a bit of a pain to work with. If the damage isnt significant I agree to have it soda blasted, repaired, and then painted. The products on the market are the best they've ever been. However, that 92/93 nose does make a nice improvement.

"Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I really like the bumper on the 1992-1993 as well. I had no idea you could use those year bumpers on my 1991 as a direct replacement.

Definitely will look around and see what is available in my area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in