Another Rusted Rocker Panel Thread... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Another Rusted Rocker Panel Thread...

Here's my story: The paint is only a year old, no rust was present when my bird received a glorious clear coat refresh last May.

About a month and a half ago, rust started creeping out just in front of the rear tires on both sides. I was driving her out in the fiercely salted Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia this past winter, but I've never seen rust travel so quickly.

Passenger Side Rocker:

Underneath The Passenger Side Rocker:

Question is... What's the best way to handle this? Has anyone come up with a foolproof, no nonsense solution to the Great Rocker Rust Issue?

Looks like I should shy away from foam...

Refrain from any sound deadening...

And I should remove those stupid flat steel shims.

Long story short... Is there any Evil Overlord-Approved "standard" fix for these rusted rockers or is this just a body shop hope-and-pray kind of thing?

(sorry for the lengthy post)

GottaHaveHart

No. Nitrous is for fags. It's got cubic inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Unless you can handle this job yourself, it looks like you'll be going to a shop. I'd look around at different places and see if they want to take on doing the job right.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
X2. I would say if you did it yourself I would find some good ones from a JY to cut out and weld in to your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Once you see the rust from the outside, the rockers need to be replaced, or at least sectioned. First start cutting back to see how far you have to go to get to solid metal. Once it is repaired, remove your rear speakers and you can reach down to that area and pull out all the sound deadening, then coat it from the inside with por-15.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 09:48 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yep, i have the same issue though its way farther advanced and im starting to think its time to find a rust free rolling chassis.... but what i found when it first started was the ground-up-fabric sound deadener at the bottom of both rockers was SATURATED with water.... i mean they were dripping wet when i pulled them both out(one through the huge rust hole, and the other up out of the rear speaker hole)

i also had to pull out the trashbag full of fiberglass since it fell down low enough to flap in the wind through the hole was driving me crazy....

theirs really no drainage whatsoever down their in those rocker areas, and i'm not sure how the moisture gets in, but it dose and it doesn't get out... most likely leaking seams and large holes in the subframe underneath...

i'm far too embarrassed to snap a picture of my poor decrepit bird nowadays, but i have one handy from a year back that shows the damage half as bad as it is now >.>

theirs not much left of that 40th sticker in that corner anymore.... that's what you have to look forward too if the issues aren't remedied the correct way... by cutting till theirs no rust, and standing back to see how much car you have left, then deciding where to go from the standpoint of reassembly with rust inhibitor primers, sealers, and coatings to keep this from happening again. that and not driving her daily in the salt like i have to....

save from fixing the drainage issues and acid stripping/dipping the whole chassis in some rust inhibitor, the battle with iron oxide is never ending...

oh, and also, if the rockers are rotting. then most likely as is the case with mine, the undercarriage is most likely frightening.... i'm waiting for my rear subframe to rip itself out from under the car every time i get hard on the throttle anymore...

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Se the rectangular hole in the inner rocker that just happens to be surrounded by rust?

That's a direct path to the outside underbody, and I'd put money that that's where the majority of water, salt and whatever other crap enters through, and since there's no way out (and no way in to clean it out) it just rapidly decays. I think a few baffles on the frame rail openings would be a good idea there(not plugs though, so as to keep some drainage).

Sometimes I think Ford purposely engineered these cars to rust.

-Matt
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:24 PM
PostWhore

I watch my very carefully, checking it every month.

Jason H.
Mods:
Exterior- Paint, grill, trim, SHO wheels
Power train- 4.6 cat back w/ muffler delete 2"I.D. tips , Taylor Pro Series plug wires, intake silencer delete

Photographs http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/jh...?sort=4&page=1
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

The undercarriage is clean, no major rust yet. I have some surface rust behind and up underneath the rockers, but it needs to be cleaned up ASAP. Thanks for the info and tips, guys.

This is why you all get paid the big bucks.

GottaHaveHart

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
I have an off topic question that keeps coming to mind. Why is my '95 is not a 40th anniversary?
Was there just a certain package that got labeled that? Not that it matters just wondering.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCONUT View Post
Why is my '95 is not a 40th anniversary?
Was there just a certain package that got labeled that?
Yup!

Joe

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Speaking of 40th Anni... I presume this is the edition you were thinking of?

It was indeed a special package, so although all 95's mark the 40th anniversary, not every 95 is a 40th edition. Weird, right?

GottaHaveHart

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHaveHart View Post
Speaking of 40th Anni... I presume this is the edition you were thinking of?

It was indeed a special package, so although all 95's mark the 40th anniversary, not every 95 is a 40th edition. Weird, right?
Nice car! It belongs to one of the guys I know over on the Retrobird site. He bought it last year. Has super low mileage and all original.

Joe

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It's not really that weird, it's not like ALL 90 SCs were 35th anniversaries, or ALL 97 Cougars were 30th anniversaries, or ALL 03 Cobras were 10th anniversaries, or ALL 1989 Trans Ams were 20th anniversaries, or.... or....

The 40th anniversary was the Hallmark card of anniversary editions, whereas the 35th SCs, the 25th and 30th Cougars had special paint, special interiors, wheels, high spec options, ect. The 40th was just a vinyl lower body stripe over a plain old LX - no special paint, same ol interior, same ol suspension, same ol fanblades.

-Matt
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 PM
PostWhore

Garage
wish i could find another 40th rust free in deep jewel... mines so far gone its almost not worth bothering.

sure wish the stickers were painted though. mine were pealing and cracking when i got her. almost wish they weren't their anymore, though there the only thing holding my rear quarters together, so that's sort of nice.

now I'd have to cut out half the rear-end and most of the quarters to get rid of the rust. and then theirs the bits starting every few inches at every spot weld underneath, and the whole rolling rearsubframe being a giant chunk of rust.

up front theirs the door seams, jams, front fenders. its just everywhere... and the clear is all starting to blister and flake off the roof, hood, fenders and boot. only thing shes got going for her anymore is the mint interior... and to tell you the truth, those rainbow speckled cloth seats in 95 were pretty ugly anyway.

i did see a 30th cougar out at the UpullIt not long ago, its what i got my ECM and wiring harness for my wiring swap out of. she used to be a nice car till i assume and old person who originally owned it, sold it to some drunken slob that filled it full of trash beer and hard liquor bottles then drove it into the ground from lack of service... still had a beautiful body on it, but the smell from inside on the hot day i had to climb into it was horrifying...

hmmm, now that i see that picture of the panel cut out im surprised that hole was supposed to be their... i just thought it was a giant rust hole straight through to the unibody on mine... that was awfully stupid of ford too put that their and not just seal that void under the rear speakers off. especially with that strip of ground carpet material lying in their waiting to wick that moisture right down the rockers...

when i pulled that baby out of my driver side it was saturated and dripping with smelly mildew water...

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 06-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in