power mirrors working halfway - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

power mirrors working halfway

my mirrors work only halfway, the left one only works up and to the left, and the passenger one only works down and to the right. I've tried to figure this thing out for months, fuse is ok, tried a different switch and same thing, tried a different mirror and same thing. check for break in wiring at the driver door and nothing. anyone have this problem???? please helpppppp!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
You need an EVTM and Service Manual for your car; that's the best Fastest way to fix these kinds of things. You might find a diagram if you look around.

You will have to disconnect each connector, and measure the circuit from one end to the other.

Having the EVTM manual makes it easy to trace it thru; you never know which drawing you need until you get there.

Odds are, it's the switch in the door; the contacts are probably bad.

From your description, it sounds like both motors are working in each mirror.

Good luck.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
You need an EVTM and Service Manual for your car; that's the best Fastest way to fix these kinds of things. You might find a diagram if you look around.

You will have to disconnect each connector, and measure the circuit from one end to the other.

Having the EVTM manual makes it easy to trace it thru; you never know which drawing you need until you get there.

Good luck.
This above, OR, just adjust em manually and be done. How often do you actually have to adjust them, aside after going into a Car-Wash. ?

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

well there such small mirrors that it seems like you need to fine tune them everytime you get in. i' a tall guy so my head almost hits the roof with the seat all the way down and I need to constantly adjust the seat and mirrors.

i got the wiring diagram, and the wires go from the mirror through the door, and under the floor on the side, tried a few switches from the junkyard, haven't checked the connection at the mirror but i know if i take the mirror out its gonna break. that happened on the passenger side and i glued it back. I'd like to try a brand new switch as the switched i tried were from the junkyard, tried 3 switches already and same thing. whe wiring diagram is like reading hieroglyphics, and i got the factory manual, and the electrical diagram factory manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

Good luck.
I'm slowly starting to understand the wiring diagram, i just cant find the wire that's bad, it shows continuity going from the switch connector through the door.

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 08-27-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Merged posts
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:20 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93birdmancometh View Post
well there such small mirrors that it seems like you need to fine tune them everytime you get in. i' a tall guy so my head almost hits the roof with the seat all the way down and I need to constantly adjust the seat and mirrors.
hmm, my hope is/was that your mirrors are just out of alignment from the last car wash.
Did you try to adjust them manually (klick, klick, klick) and then use the power mirror control? Maybe thay where just maxed out in the previous position.!
Hope you'll get them to work.
If not, watch out for "Grog6", he's mostly spot on and, as I did, you'll may don't like his input, but follow it.
Back to your problem, maybe you should carefully take your mirror assembly apart and grease it all up.
Hope this helps. Just saying this since I never read about anything related to your problem. On the other hand, there is so much info here to read up on, that this alone would be a full time job.
Anyway, the mechanism may just be oxidized. I see you're in LA. Make sure to grease all your connectors.
gl

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 PM
The Parts Guy

The 89-93 mirror, lock, and window switches are notorious for corroding and acting flaky. I'd pop another switch in there and test before digging into the pinout.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
The 89-93 mirror, lock, and window switches are notorious for corroding and acting flaky. I'd pop another switch in there and test before digging into the pinout.
yes lid like to try a new switch but the cheapest I can find a used one is like 20$ on e bay
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Kind of slapped together

I'd take one of those three you've tried, carefully take it apart, clean up the contacts, and put it back together.

You can use a multimeter (hint: Check out the hot rod mags at the auto parts store - they quite often have a "Free With Purchase" Harbor Freight multimeter coupon, and if there's anything else good on that list, you're ahead!) to check the switch when it's together.

But by following the wiring in the EVTM, it becomes obvious that if it works one way but not the other, the wiring is most likely OK as is the motor since what you do is reverse the polarity to drive the motor the other way (right/left up/down pairings).

RwP

Fuelly
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM
PostWhore

First: Study the wiring diagram carefully, and take your time to wrap your mind around the circuits with confidence.

Bench test a switch for continuity to determine whether that switch is functioning properly.

If a known good switch is unsuccessful, I would attempt to active the mirrors in all directions by bypassing the switch using jumper wire(s) with an in line fuse for safety for tangible evidence. Use a fused separate power source divorced from the mirror circuit.

Should the mirrors activate in all directions using this method I would studying the wiring diagram of the circuits carefully, and probe the connection upstream to the battery from the switch making sure there isn't two 12v power wires, or two, or more, ground wires downstream from the switch using a test light.

Troubleshooting electrical problems is a process of elimination, and I wish I could be more specific, but I do not have the wiring diagram.

If someone would post the diagram I, for one, would greatly appreciate the knowledge.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post
First: Study the wiring diagram carefully, and take your time to wrap your mind around the circuits with confidence.

Bench test a switch for continuity to determine whether that switch is functioning properly.

If a known good switch is unsuccessful, I would attempt to active the mirrors in all directions by bypassing the switch using jumper wire(s) with an in line fuse for safety for tangible evidence. Use a fused separate power source divorced from the mirror circuit.

Should the mirrors activate in all directions using this method I would studying the wiring diagram of the circuits carefully, and probe the connection upstream to the battery from the switch making sure there isn't two 12v power wires, or two, or more, ground wires downstream from the switch using a test light.

Troubleshooting electrical problems is a process of elimination, and I wish I could be more specific, but I do not have the wiring diagram.

If someone would post the diagram I, for one, would greatly appreciate the knowledge.
thanks for the info. I will read the wiring diagram again and try to test the swtich. I'm a beginner in the electrical field so its gonna be a process.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 AM
PostWhore

No problem, and you're welcome.

Read up on the use of a test light. It is an extremely useful tool when troubleshooting electrical problems.

And don't sweat it. At one time everyone was a beginner.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

I'd post the wiring diagram I got the book but how do I attach a pic to this deal??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in