accident door damage, reskin, repair, or replace? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

accident door damage, reskin, repair, or replace?

So do I go and plop down 50 bucks and pull the one from the 98 base in the lot (I think it has damage, but just to the surface, no dents) in anticipation of them not finding one, or will they fix this one, or will they try to re-skin it? The car in the you pull it place will only be there a few more days, if it is still there.

Will a door fit in the trunk of a Mark VIII?

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't feel like going at it alone, these doors are heavy, and no way I can remove it, from a car up on stacked rims, without dinging a corner or ripping a muscle.

Tire really wore into the side trim!

mainly superficial scrapes to the quarter, but it did get damaged below the trim:

door didn't fare as well. It is creased at the top, but not torn

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:13 PM
̇

Garage
That'sssss why they call you Bangster!

Sorry..

It might be worth trying to pop that dent out on the door..

I have to ask..Did a semi truck get too close?

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you can find a door for $50, do it. Hell, even if you have to pay someone another $50 to help pull it off without damaging it, you are still going to be way ahead of the game. The quarter is easily repairable, but the door will require a new skin to make it right, and I don't know if Ford even still sells a skin, not to mention you are looking at about 5 hours of labor to replace the skin, so any complete door for less than $250 is ahead of the game. Plus as you pointed out, the side molding will need to be replaced anyway, and the used door will come with the molding.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Door most likely won't fit. When I picked up one for the T-bird a few years back, it took up the whole floor in the back of my mom's Explorer.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I ran issues gathering parts for my 97 Cougar with my 97 Mark VIII. I was fine until I tried to get a complete header panel for an 89 Town Car in the car. It would have fit, but it is so angular and has so many protruding sharp metal bits the interior would have paid the price. I really don't want to add to the junk I have around the house, but if this is my way of getting my car fixed (last accident I was SOL because no one could get the parts), I might as well pull the trigger and do it. I do have neighbors with trucks, but I am almost a few points behind in the favor department. This would mean some cleaning virus and backing up pictures and wiring up a router time, which I don't want to do.

short clip (WW for language of comedian and me when I get nailed).

She is in the 07 Vibe (which was a piece, oxidized and missing drivers mirror from recent other scrape (and "excuse" as to why it happened, but she said there is only one turn lane)) 2 cars ahead of me before splitting off into the different lanes, then she is right next to me. Everyone else in front of here in the far right lane get it right and go to the far right, and two cars in front of me someone turns right into the second/middle lane.

video with no sound:

--

Last edited by Bangster; 10-12-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I vaguely recall someone posting a pic of a door in the trunk in the pic of the day thread. Definitely won't work in a Mark VIII though, aren't the X braces welded on?

-Matt
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't think the door in the junk yard will get me much. The front fender was pushed back and front lip is bent.

Just going to submit it to my insurance, possibly bypass them and contact the other persons insurance, and see if I get the same blank stare about finding parts for it.

The trunk space in the Mark VIII is pitiful compares to an MN12. I could see getting the top end back on the 89 and removing the trunk lid for this job haha

I could possible remove the back seat and the brace, but even at an angle it is still too big. I do have bungee cords and rope and it is literally 1.5 miles away.

--
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:18 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
She is in the 07 Vibe (which was a piece, oxidized and missing drivers mirror from recent other scrape (and "excuse" as to why it happened, but she said there is only one turn lane)) 2 cars ahead of me before splitting off into the different lanes, then she is right next to me. Everyone else in front of here in the far right lane get it right and go to the far right, and two cars in front of me someone turns right into the second/middle lane.
That's frustrating. I particularly don't like how the road sign doesn't seem to match the painted markings. But I can't tell what the little sign says under the arrow "ONLY" sign. I wish I knew if there are any official rules for right-of-way when two turning lanes move into three lanes. There is an intersection I often have to deal with that has an identical situation. Never know who is going to jump for that middle lane; sometimes it's me.

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 10-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

At 14 seconds into the clip on the left (partially obscured by branches, but still pretty obvious) it shows 2 left only, one combo straight/right turn, and a right only lane. It is pretty much how any new intersections are built (this one is so new that it doesn't show up in Google maps). They also make the lane end (this case the left) when it doesn't, which I don't get.

She was able to successfully navigate a round-about, I need to go to an earlier clip to see if I caught how it went. People don't get round-abouts and I love them. I don't remember the outcome of the myth busters episode on them, but I think they CAN work well with a little education (it is part of the drivers exam).

--
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Bleh I hate round-abouts, Wisconson seems to have gotten a real hard on for them over the past few years and has randomly placed them everywhere from downtown Racine to bum**** nowhere like the intersection at 45 and 20(go ahead and Google earth that gratuitous waste of tax dollars). They're too small and city planners feel the need to obscure visibility further with a stupid decoration in the center of them.

-Matt
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 PM
PostWhore

I'm not a bodyman but I think replacing the door skin wouldn't even be an option due to time and cost.

Replace the door with one from a junkyard, and paint match it, easiest route. A good body man could make the existing door straight again though.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Sad to see that my, man. At least it's not heavy damage. That's something I haven't really noticed much of in all my years of driving...two right turn lanes.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in