"Shark Fin" Radio Antenna - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
"Shark Fin" Radio Antenna

Has anybody ever done this? This is one of those mods I'd like to see on an MN-12. We all know that many of the newer cars have a little spot on the rear of the roof usually as a "shark fin" or circle of some sort which replaces the antenna sicking up from the car somewhere.

Personally, I think that the antenna our cars have is ugly when its sticking up and absolutely love the fact that our cars (I guess the newer ones) have a retractable antenna which keeps our cars looking sleek. If someone was able to mod this up on one of our cars, I think that would make the appearance of our cars look a million times better. The antenna on the passenger front fender would be gone, the antenna hole would be patched up, and our cars would have a "fin" on the rear of the roof.

Just some thoughts

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:13 PM
̇

Garage
IMO..A "shark fin antenna" on an MN12 looks rice..

You asked..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I think it looks stupid on newer cars.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The shark fin antenna is for satellite radio, and will not provide any regular radio reception. If you want to shave the existing antenna, just get a hidden one.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:50 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Old school here. I like my antenna!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah my SUV has a regular antenna on the fender, and a shark fin on the roof for the satellite ratio / on-star. The shark fin isnt for AM/FM radio. Some of the high end cars have the antenna built into the front windshield which is nice and clean.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
While not a "shark fin" antenna, it is the same concept. My 2013 Ford Taurus has the new style antenna which sits up on the roof of the car and it is not for satellite radio as some of you have mentioned. It's for standard AM/FM radio.

This is essentially what I was thinking of. Of course, it doesn't have to be a "shark fin" like I said, it could be just a sleek shaped device that is color matched on the roof of the car.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
While not a "shark fin" antenna, it is the same concept. My 2013 Ford Taurus has the new style antenna which sits up on the roof of the car and it is not for satellite radio as some of you have mentioned. It's for standard AM/FM radio.

This is essentially what I was thinking of. Of course, it doesn't have to be a "shark fin" like I said, it could be just a sleek shaped device that is color matched on the roof of the car.
Your AM/FM antenna is in the window. The one on the roof is for satellite radio.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
The newer MN12's are not the only ones with the retractable antenna, my 89 Thunderbird has it too. If you wanted you could just go to the junkyard and take one from another car with the harness and plastic piece that goes with it. They break a lot easier then the regular ones though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

I wish my antenna was longer,

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 PM
5th Gear Poster

They have pills for that.

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NeedAbirdinVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
They have pills for that.

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
I was thinking the same thing recently, since I hate having the antenna absurdly poking out of the passenger fender, it looks worse than the same style antenna poking out of the drivers rear fender on my last car (2003 Taurus LX sedan...god I miss that cars stability on ice at freeway speeds lol). I mainly listen to my Spotify music on my phone with a tape deck adapter at the moment, but I love the 93X Half Assed Morning Show so the "no antenna at all" option isn't gunna happen.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting one of those "stubby" antennas that are 1/2" thick and like 8-10" long to sleek up the looks, or I might just remove the antenna completely if there is a decent hidden one available to fit without much fabrication. Does anyone know of such a kit for our cars? Or at least what thread pattern our antenna mount uses (or is it universal)?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:13 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7wrench_monkey View Post
I was thinking the same thing recently, since I hate having the antenna absurdly poking out of the passenger fender, it looks worse than the same style antenna poking out of the drivers rear fender on my last car (2003 Taurus LX sedan...god I miss that cars stability on ice at freeway speeds lol). I mainly listen to my Spotify music on my phone with a tape deck adapter at the moment, but I love the 93X Half Assed Morning Show so the "no antenna at all" option isn't gunna happen.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting one of those "stubby" antennas that are 1/2" thick and like 8-10" long to sleek up the looks, or I might just remove the antenna completely if there is a decent hidden one available to fit without much fabrication. Does anyone know of such a kit for our cars? Or at least what thread pattern our antenna mount uses (or is it universal)?
You mean the rubber duckie type antenna? you will kill your reception.

get a black regular length antenna. The vehicle looks fine with the fender antenna, it is of the era the car came from. Sort of like how the 2005-2009 mustang looks fine with it since it actually adds to the retro appeal.

Also, look up "Ford Shorty Antenna" and you can find options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in