My 96/97 projector retrofit write up - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

My 96/97 projector retrofit write up

Alright guys, so let me just start by saying that I think we can all agree our headlights are a bit of let down. Projectors greatly improve headlight quality, and beam concentration, plus, lets just be honest, they look 100x's better! No one that I know of makes any projector headlight assemblies for our cars, so I thought I would build my own to my taste. I will walk you through how I built mine, what products I used, and how much it has cost me.

First off, this project is not for anyone that doesn't have patience or any kind of tools. You'll need the following:

Dremel tool with cut off wheels, sanding wheels, and a drill bit.
heat gun
flat head screwdriver or a wide flat putty knife would be ideal
some high heat paint (if you choose to paint your housing). I chose to use roll bar and chassis paint because it will withstand 250F and its a semi gloss finish
12V battery(used for aiming and testing beam)
Some clear silicone

[IMG][/IMG]

And of course, the projector kit of your choice. I'm using a kit from eBay pictured below
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And now You will need to remove your headlights from the vehicle. I don't have the removal procedure, but it's pretty simple, hopefully if you're attempting this retrofit, you have the know how to remove them! Here is what I started with.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next you will need to use the heat gun to heat around the edge of the lens to heat the glue so you can pry apart the lens from the housing. I did not take pictures of this process, just make sure you don't keep the heat gun in one place or get the housing too hot because the heat gun WILL melt the housing and or lens. Also do not apply too much pressure when separating the lens from the housing or cracking will occur. If it's not separating rather easily, you don't have it hot enough.

After you have the lens off, you then need to place the headlight on on a level surface, and power the stock halogen bulb up using some wire and the battery. The purpose here is to aim it at an open wall so you can mark where the factory beam aims that way you can aim your new projector to factory specs. I don't have a pic where I marked the stock beam, but here is a pic of the projector aiming where the stock beam is so you can get an idea of what I'm doing here.
[IMG][/IMG]

You can now paint the housings if you choose to. You could even color match to your car if you chose. I just chose a nice semi gloss black, which also matches my car color

After you aim the factory beams and mark them and your housing are painted if you chose to. you're now ready to clearance your housing for the new projector using your dremel. I am also adding a second projector where the parking light is for my track lights. They will glow red. The only picture I have is this one with the housings already painted and a test fit of the new projector after trimming the back out. You can see the old parking light spot is cut out to fit a projector there too.
[IMG][/IMG]

After lots of cutting, trimming, test fitting, and more trimming, you are ready to test out the aim of the projector on your marked wall. Here's how the light should look.

Dims:
[IMG][/IMG]

Brights:
[IMG][/IMG]

After you get the beam matched up to factory. You're now ready to mount your projectors permantly. The projectors I used had a threaded part on the back and came with a nut to mount them nice and tight. After you tighten the nut, You'll need to use the clear silicone to seal the cut section off so no moisture can enter the assembly, like so:
[IMG][/IMG]

I let mine dry overnight just for good measure. After I applied the silicone, I wanted to paint the edges of my lenses black to give a more custom look. I had seen this done before and liked it, so I copied. Lol. This was the first masking and paint, it wasn't smooth enough around the edges, so I redid it after these pics. And of course, this was after cleaning and buffing the lenses back to clear
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Now you are ready to reassemble your housings! I used some black silicone and vise grips to reseal mine. They sit over night with the vise grips on.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You now have some great looking, 100% better performing, headlights! Here are a few pics of them lit up and showing off
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to buff my lenses a last time as they have been sitting for a while, but you see what they will look like. I will have installed pictures very soon, Just haven't had time to put them in yet and I have had A LOT of interest in a write up, so I went ahead and did it. Total cost of this project cost me about $200. Stay tuned for more pics and a performance review!

--Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Nice job Ben!

Waiting on the install updates and pictures!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:49 PM
PostWhore

Nice work. Those are really going to look sharp.

Thanks for sharing your craftsmanship. Bookmarked.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Those look a lot like the G1 projectors a lot of us back in the day were installing.

You're the first to my knowledge to do quads though.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125199

I agree, one of the best practical mods that can be done to these cars. 4300k is the sweet spot IMO.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Are these the blue headlights?

Just make sure they are aimed properly.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear Poster

this is some beautiful work. definitely adding it to my project wish list.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post

I've done a lot of reading on the qualities between 4300K and 6000K headlights. When I do mine, I am definitely going 4300K as the light is more visible to the human eye. There are several videos on YouTube with comparisons, and to my eyes, the 4300 is the superior unit.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post

Thanks guys! I will have pics of them installed later this week. Been busy out of town on business. And these are 6000k, so they have a slight blue tint to them, but barely. They are mostly white. Not the brightest you can get, but they're the color I like

--Ben
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Well guys, got them installed last night! Here are some pics

Some before pictures:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Aaanndd after, definitely have to do something with my corners now! Will be doing something with them soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to aim them up just a little. this is where they were just dropping them in, not bad!
[IMG][/IMG]

Brights
[IMG]\[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Brights
[IMG][/IMG]

I still need to buff them and hook my track lights up, I'm just waiting on the red bulbs to get here. Overall, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results! The difference is literally night and day!

--Ben
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Oh and please excuse my TERRIBLY dirty car. It's really cold out, so I don't get to wash it much in the winter, lol

--Ben
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Looks awesome!

Gotta get some blackout on the corners too though. Would really complete the look.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Looks awesome!

Gotta get some blackout on the corners too though. Would really complete the look.
Oh yea. Definitely going to do something with them. I want to do something more than just black the inside out though, thinking of some amber LEDs or something

--Ben
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super nice job! Car looks like something out of the next Mad Max movie!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Are you using two of the same kits for all four projectors? Do you have any pictures of the back of the projectors in place of the parking lamps?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM
PostWhore

Those look really good. Really like the way the lens boarder looks you painted on the black car.

Thinking perhaps caring the board over to the corner lights might bring it all together?

Maybe use black electrical tape. Just to get an idea how that might look without making the paint commitment.

I have a few questions.

I want to do a similar upgrade. Be interested to know how you wired the circuits.

I have an idea to completely bypass the headlamp circuits, except for the parking lights.

Leave the original headlamp circuits in place. Just leave the headlamp bulbs out, and turn the original headlamp switch only to parking lights. Then a separate switch to the relay(s) to turn the projector beams on/off. Install a foot high/low beam switch.

In this way the integrity of the circuits would be superior to the original headlamp circuit. (Yeah, the original headlamp circuit should be upgraded with relays anyway even if one is keeping the stock lamps.) Also, this idea would make it easy to go back to the original headlamps.

I've also read that such an upgrade creates problems with the HID's bulbs ability to ignite when using auto lamps. Which my car has.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, (from anyone).

Car looks super cool.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

Last edited by rushtonracing; 01-17-2015 at 11:01 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 AM
2nd Gear Poster

^^^^^Save yourself the trouble and just use a proper relay harness with the bixenon controller. This will bypass the original circuitry, only using one headlight socket as a trigger for the relays. As long as you aren't running in and out of tunnels a lot, shouldn't have an issue with the auto lamps but I usually recommend running them manually anyway. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VL-GIkfF9T4

OP, the lights look good! I was originally planning to do the same with replacing the inner parking light with a fog projector. It looks as though they are aimed a tad low based on the road shot. They have a fair bit of foreground light but even those G1's are better than the original reflector. I never personally recommend anything higher than 5000K but if that's what you like then so be it. I prefer to keep my color in the flicker

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:22 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Oh and there should be some cost effective plug and play LEDs that actually work here within the next few weeks. Just waiting on the next batch to come in to see if they meet specifications and quality standards.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MN12Bird
Save yourself the trouble and just use a proper relay harness with the bixenon controller. This will bypass the original circuitry, only using one headlight socket as a trigger for the relays. As long as you aren't running in and out of tunnels a lot, shouldn't have an issue with the auto lamps but I usually recommend running them manually anyway.
Thanks for the reply, and the link.

2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Yes they were aimed low, this was the ride home and I realized it while driving. I raised them up now and they are much better . Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm starting on a set of corner lenses now to replace mine. Adding sequential led amber turns inside the corner housings. Hopefully they turn out well! I will post pics of these when finished

--Ben
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Oh and here's a couple pics after I got her all cleaned up. It was REALLY dirty in the first pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

--Ben
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I'm curious as well. Because the kit says bi xenon and the other (inner) projectors aren't working in any of the pics. I was assuming they may be for looks.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Baker View Post
I'm curious as well. Because the kit says bi xenon and the other (inner) projectors aren't working in any of the pics. I was assuming they may be for looks.
I must have missed where someone asked about them. They will glow red for show and to look mean at the track as this car will see a lot of track time. I've got red LED bulbs on the way for them and they'll be on a separate switch

No I'm not using the same kit for both, the inners are actually 06 Chevy equinox fogs, but I don't recommend using them as they have to be modified a lot to fit. I don't have any pics of the back of them, but they are fitted the same as the main projectors

--Ben

Last edited by bsmith181992; 01-30-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: more info
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 03:33 PM

Garage
Would you consider making this as two headlight kit (+the extra wiring stuff that we'd need) for a price where you can profit? I'd be willing to pay good money for a set right now.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:41 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
will look amazing with the finished turn signals...i like that you dont have to cut the bottom of the headlight housing....

How does the bi-xenon work on these specific projectors...is there an actuator that removes the cut off shield?

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 AM
2nd Gear Poster

The cutoff shield is hinged and attached to a solenoid. When you turn the high beams on, the solenoid pulls the shield down which gives you the full beam.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith181992 View Post
I must have missed where someone asked about them. They will glow red for show and to look mean at the track as this car will see a lot of track time. I've got red LED bulbs on the way for them and they'll be on a separate switch
What about the halos on the projectors, do they stay lit with the projectors or are the halos on a separate switch to operate?

-PAULYRATS-95-4.6L-THUNDERBIRD-LX
SVO SUPERCHARGER @ 9PSI
70MM TB,76MM MAF
30# INJECTORS, 255 LPH FUEL PUMP
SNOW PERFORMANCE METHANOL INJECTION
SCREAMIN DEMON COILS, LIVEWIRES PLUG WIRES
CUSTOM LONGTUBE HEADERS,2.5" DUAL EXHAUST
JMODDED 4R70W, 9.5 3200 STALL TC
93 MARK VIII DS, 3:73 REAR GEARS
TUBULAR REAR UPPER CONTROL ARMS
IRS REAR TORSIONAL LOAD BRACE
REAR STRUT TOWER BRACE, SCP PINION BRACE
HEAVY DUTY POLY REAR DIFF MOUNT
1.5 DROP EIBACH SPRINGS
18x9 SALEEN REPLICA WHEELS
COBRA R STYLE HOOD
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I wired mine up with my parking lights, so they are on with the parking lights, but could be wired up any way you wanted
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
okay great thanks

-PAULYRATS-95-4.6L-THUNDERBIRD-LX
SVO SUPERCHARGER @ 9PSI
70MM TB,76MM MAF
30# INJECTORS, 255 LPH FUEL PUMP
SNOW PERFORMANCE METHANOL INJECTION
SCREAMIN DEMON COILS, LIVEWIRES PLUG WIRES
CUSTOM LONGTUBE HEADERS,2.5" DUAL EXHAUST
JMODDED 4R70W, 9.5 3200 STALL TC
93 MARK VIII DS, 3:73 REAR GEARS
TUBULAR REAR UPPER CONTROL ARMS
IRS REAR TORSIONAL LOAD BRACE
REAR STRUT TOWER BRACE, SCP PINION BRACE
HEAVY DUTY POLY REAR DIFF MOUNT
1.5 DROP EIBACH SPRINGS
18x9 SALEEN REPLICA WHEELS
COBRA R STYLE HOOD
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
subscribing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in