LED Conversion with Interesting Results - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

LED Conversion with Interesting Results

Alright, I did the exterior LED conversion on my 1995 TBird LX 4.6L.
Now, these pictures were taken at night, so they aren't as clear as they could be.

To start with WITH THE KEY OFF (you will see the importance later), it acts perfectly normal.

All Lights Off it's totally black (no surprise)...

Here is with just the brakes applied (key on or off looks just the same).

Now here is with the lights on, but the key still off.

Everything works normally so far. But when I turn the key on (you can actually see the dash lights through the back window), things get interesting...
Brakes work normally. Just the lights turned on looks normal at first, but look at the 3rd brake light, it's glowing ever so slightly (it looks brighter in the pic than it actually is).

And with all the lights turned off (no brakes applied), but with the key on, you can see that ALL the lights glow slightly (again, it looks brighter in the pic than it actually is).

Anybody else who has done this conversion, I challenge you to check out your own vehicle at night in the dark with the key turned on. It doesn't hurt anything that I can tell, it's just WEIRD!
BTW, the bulbs came from Walmart except for the 3rd brake light, those are 921 LED bulbs from Amazon.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Kind of slapped together

Not weird - the cruise control uses the current through the light bulbs to pull the "OH **** BRAKES!" line down - when the BOO closes due to brake pedal action, it yanks that light up.

If it bothers you, a single resistor across the high mount brake lights takes care of it. Or resistors on both sides if you wish ... Although, again, I used an LED compatible blinker to get rid of the hyperblink. And those lights only really show up at night, where it's not a problem at all.

(Oh, using an incandescent for any of the brake light bulbs takes care of that glimmer, also. Same thing.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I tried to do led conversion I had no luck. I installed the resistors and still could not get them to work right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Not weird - the cruise control uses the current through the light bulbs to pull the "OH **** BRAKES!" line down - when the BOO closes due to brake pedal action, it yanks that light up.

If it bothers you, a single resistor across the high mount brake lights takes care of it. Or resistors on both sides if you wish ... Although, again, I used an LED compatible blinker to get rid of the hyperblink. And those lights only really show up at night, where it's not a problem at all.

(Oh, using an incandescent for any of the brake light bulbs takes care of that glimmer, also. Same thing.)

RwP
Yes, I had to use the electronic flasher, too. Did the LEDs in my Mark VIII too and also changed the flasher. Had to or they just blink fast because the resistance is so different, the mechanical flashers think a bulb is blown.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with hyperblink, just that weird glow with the key on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 cougar xr7 View Post
I tried to do led conversion I had no luck. I installed the resistors and still could not get them to work right
You know there are polarized, right? There is a + and -. If the bulb won't work one way, flip it over. Just a thought that might be the problem. My son-in-law tried to put LED lights in his truck and that was his only problem.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Which exact bulbs did you get? I have a set of amber Pilot brand 3157's here for ****s and giggles. They are so cheap, they didn't even bother with using a variable voltage regulator in them for dual function. They just dedicate so many LEDs to the parking light and then illuminate the remaining chips at the same brightness for signal. It's quite poor.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in