2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy625UK
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Side mouldings

I'm on the lookout for some replacement side mouldings for my 94 T-bird. Just saw these listed on Ebay. Anyone had any experience of them? Are they any good? I can't decide whether chrome side strips would look at good, or just stupid.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=161597127574

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It's hard to tell if that's a full sized trim replacement or if it's a smaller strip that goes above/below the existing trim...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Yeah that's what I thought. I messaged the guy, and from his reply, I think its a replacement for the original.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
That looks to me like just generic chrome body side molding pieces. It definitely isn't an original part as there are 5 distinct different styles of moldings from 89-97, and none of them looked anything close to that. If you buy that, it will look cheap and tacky, and you will be disappointed.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Yes I think you're right. I think I'll hold out for some original type.

The Eagles

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Just a quick reply to this thread I started in 2015.

4yrs after my accident in 2014 I've finally fitted the newly repainted door trim!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181013_165741_hdr.jpg (1.12 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181013_165755_hdr.jpg (974.4 KB, 3 views)
Tbird Bob likes this.

The Eagles

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
The next job will be this mess:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181013_165647_hdr.jpg (999.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181013_165711_hdr.jpg (1,004.1 KB, 2 views)

The Eagles

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
It looks like the clearcoat failure is confined to the roof, which is good. Just remember, it has to be stripped to bare metal, primed, and then painted, but since the roof is pretty much a completely flat surface, it should be easy to paint. Also take all the trim pieces off before doing anything so you can get the paint stripped all the way to the edges of the panel and not risk damaging the trim. As long as it is only the roof, you should be able to do the whole job over a weekend.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:20 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Stupid question I think I asked you before, Mikey, but there's no way to re-clearcoat these is there?

All the clearcoat is off my red car, evenly. I swear if I could put a topcoat on it, I think it would look ok.

But I'm thinking that's a waste of money if it comes right back off...

Also; The Tbird you painted looked great! (When you were here this spring)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
One problem is the exposed layer of metallic paint cannot come back even if you recleared it, solid colors may be possible but I’m far from an expert at paint to make such a statement.

-Matt
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
No, once the clearcoat peels off, the color underneath gets exposed to the UV rays and starts breaking down. In theory, you could scuff it up and clearcoat over it again, but once the clear is on there, the nice new shine would make it painfully obvious how uneven the color underneath is. As for the 97 I drove down in, I sprayed that with plasti-dip, not paint. The idea behind it is you don't have to do any prep work other than washing it, and when you get tired of it, it peels right off like a wrap. It looked OK at first, but it is definitely starting to have some issues like peeling and lifting around the edges and tight curves, and the pitting in the clearcoat underneath it is starting to show through. That was never meant to be anything other than a temporary solution though, since the E9 underneath had faded so bad it was literally pink, and I'm just not comfortable enough to drive a pink car! I'm glad I did it for the experience, but in retrospect, I should have just done the prep work myself and dropped it off at Maaco to have them spray it. It still wouldn't be perfect, but the plasti-dip was almost $500 and 2 days of work by the time it was said and done, so it probably wouldn't have cost much more, to have it sprayed in single-stage enamel, and if I had spent that 2 days doing the prep work myself, it likely would have held up a lot better.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
No, once the clearcoat peels off, the color underneath gets exposed to the UV rays and starts breaking down. In theory, you could scuff it up and clearcoat over it again, but once the clear is on there, the nice new shine would make it painfully obvious how uneven the color underneath is. As for the 97 I drove down in, I sprayed that with plasti-dip, not paint. The idea behind it is you don't have to do any prep work other than washing it, and when you get tired of it, it peels right off like a wrap. It looked OK at first, but it is definitely starting to have some issues like peeling and lifting around the edges and tight curves, and the pitting in the clearcoat underneath it is starting to show through. That was never meant to be anything other than a temporary solution though, since the E9 underneath had faded so bad it was literally pink, and I'm just not comfortable enough to drive a pink car! I'm glad I did it for the experience, but in retrospect, I should have just done the prep work myself and dropped it off at Maaco to have them spray it. It still wouldn't be perfect, but the plasti-dip was almost $500 and 2 days of work by the time it was said and done, so it probably wouldn't have cost much more, to have it sprayed in single-stage enamel, and if I had spent that 2 days doing the prep work myself, it likely would have held up a lot better.
That's exactly what I was looking for, Mikey!

Thanks.

You told me that was Plastidip; I really wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned it, at the time.

It has a semi-matte, not quite glossy look, and people like that these days.

Another on topic question: Who makes the best E4 paint?

I'd like to stay factory colors, just to not worry about stripping the whole car, of looking at a mismatch every time I open the door.

BTW, Duplicolor does not actually match that color, for touch ups at all, lol.

Or maybe my red has just faded that far. But it does not look pink, thankfully.

I know someone who paints cars, but IDK what paint they use, and I've seen a few they did.

I think I can do that well; "Run City" is not a travel destination I want, lol.

I need to paint a bike as well, so I'll practice on a gas tank I can strip easily if I don't like it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
If you are doing the paint work yourself, I personally like PPG. If someone else is doing the work, it really doesn't matter what paint they use. Once it is cured, it is all the same, as long as they use at least a half-way decent clearcoat. The differences between good expensive paint and cheap paint lie in how good their color matches are, how well they cover, the amount of metallic in metallic colors, and then differences in how well they lay out, flash times, etc. Personally, I learned long ago that it isn't worth my time to try to save a few bucks with cheap paint, because I'll usually wind up using twice as much to cover, and I'll be aggravated the whole time. Also, if you are looking to practice, a bike gas tank probably isn't the best place to start. You want to practice on something large and flat, like a hood or roof. Pieces with lots of curves and tight areas are much harder to get nice even coverage everywhere without any runs or dry spots.
Grog6 likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Garage
Thanks, Mikey!

I actually have two damaged hoods, so I guess that's where I practice.

I damaged one, and the other was messed up when I bought it; my body guy said, WTF?!, so I found a good one that's Now on the car, from Spattered, shipped from AZ, lol.

You rock man.

Come hang out at the pool sometime next summer; it's closing this week. 72 degree water today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in