Windshield and back glass molding question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Windshield and back glass molding question

Since the molding parts have been discontinued what solutions have been used to repair or replace them? Mine are down to the metal on a 1996 Thunderbird. Thanks.

Old Birdie - 1996 Thundebird LX - original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Sand 'em down, prime, and paint them. Been five years since I did mine, and still looking great.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

It doesn't really have any weatherproofing function does it? It used to have a slight lip that didn't leave any reveal. Now it has about a 1/16" to an 1/8" gap on the back top one. Did you paint them while on the car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:00 PM
4th Gear Poster

I don't think they provide any weatherproofing, or at least I hope they don't. All of mine are deteriorated to the point that all the rubber seals on them are gone, along with the rubberized coating. They are the bane of my car's exterior but I've given up any hope of finding new ones.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I guess the best thing to do is sand and paint then. They don't help my cars appearance either. I've had her since she was new and sadly watched as parts are discontinued.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Or they show up on the forums unexpected and as usual can't spare the funds to purchase but any other time ugh....

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:27 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikabird View Post
Since the molding parts have been discontinued what solutions have been used to repair or replace them? Mine are down to the metal on a 1996 Thunderbird. Thanks.
Hit the 4 local junk yards frequently. With some luck' you'll find them.
gl

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear Poster

My back glass upper molding (The lower one has started to show cracks also) has finally started to peel away in chips -- the flaking and pieces are actually the thickness of corn chips. I thought having a California car would exclude my car from such a common occurrence of these moldings on MN12s,but I did not escape such fate.

I'm waiting for more of the upper molding to peel before I address it. I wonder what process they used.Those flakes coming off are really thick.

I was hoping to take it off,give it a good sanding,and paint it,but it seems to go under the rear roof drip molding,so I'll paint it on the car. Too much trouble otherwise.

"The truth is,everyone is going to hurt you.You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:00 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinMint
My back glass upper molding (The lower one has started to show cracks also) has finally started to peel away in chips -- the flaking and pieces are actually the thickness of corn chips. I thought having a California car would exclude my car from such a common occurrence of these moldings on MN12s,but I did not escape such fate.
If anything the Western climate or just HEAT in general is worse on the mouldings..

Not to say it doesn't happen here where it's cooler..Our climate doesn't lasagna the mouldings quite so bad though..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
If anything the Western climate or just HEAT in general is worse on the mouldings..

Not to say it doesn't happen here where it's cooler..Our climate doesn't lasagna the mouldings quite so bad though..

Rayo..
Rayo: What exactly are these particular moldings painted with? It seems like they were coated in some kind of rubber,which eventually cracks.

"The truth is,everyone is going to hurt you.You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

It was probably manufactured using some type of heated stamped procedure to create those nice rubber seals, but that's just a guess, I don't really know anything about manufacturing

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in