Daytime running lights - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Daytime running lights

Can anyone tell me if Thunderbirds were ever supplied with Daytime running lights? I have a feeling I've seen something on here about them. Presumably its the front sidelights that are used. If so, what wattage bulb would have been used, and would they have a separate switch? How do they work in conjunction with regular sidelights?

Over here in the UK, new cars have only recently been fitted with daytime lights, and they seem to be brighter than a regular sidelight. As people have a habit of driving into me, I was considering setting mine up to be daytime lights, but I'd rather do it in the "standard" style rather than sticking led lights in the lenses.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Kind of slapped together

Section 97 in the EVTM - Canadian cars got DRLs. It used pulsed voltage to the high beams to run them at not quite full brightness. According to the EVTM, the module plugged into connector C186 for 1994s. For my 1991, there's a bypass plug currently installed.

RockAuto lists them, although I have no idea where C186 is on a 1994 ...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2894

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 AM
4th Gear Poster

Don't bother, it's just easier to leave your headlights on all the time.

The effectiveness of DRL's is highly disputed. All cars since 1990 have to have them up here and trust me, there are still lots of horrible drivers and smash ups.

My t-bird had DRL's via the high beams at low voltage, and the Mark has the low beams on all the time as DRL's FYI.

The Ford DRL modules will eventually fail and start buzzing and make your lights dim and flash like a strobe light.

It's a really, really common thing to see 90's and early 00's era Fords driving around with flashing and dim DRL's up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Thanks, that's interesting. Yet another electronic module to work about? I think I can live without buzzing and flashing headlights. Leaving them on sounds like a good plan. Interesting that the module dims the headlights. The new cars over here with them (mainly led types) just seem so bright it's almost painful.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:17 AM
PostWhore

I agree on just putting the headlights on. Those DRL's are stupid. During rainy, foggy weather, people think they are good with just the DRL's on, but the taillights need to be on in foggy weather too.

Also, on newish GM vehicles, especially SUV's and trucks, there is almost always one light burned out! They must put some cheap damn bulbs in there.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy625UK View Post
Thanks, that's interesting. Yet another electronic module to work about? I think I can live without buzzing and flashing headlights. Leaving them on sounds like a good plan. Interesting that the module dims the headlights. The new cars over here with them (mainly led types) just seem so bright it's almost painful.
There's quite a few different ways mfr's do DRL's here - GM trucks have their own small bulb beside the turn signals, which burns out almost immediately after rolling off the lot and it actually melts the harness so you're stuck without DRL's lol.

Some use the corner lights on full brightness at all times, some are using the fog lights instead. Couldn't agree with you more about the led DRL's.

About the only advantage I can think to having DRL's is the people who 'forget' to put their headlights on at night can sort of be seen, well better than no lights at all I guess, and in a bad rainstorm they make you a bit more visible. Other than that, they're not going to prevent the teenager who's got their face buried in their phone texting their BFF from plowing into you. (I see crap like that EVERY day here).

I wish I had made a video of the t-bird DRL's flashing, it's really odd. The car's gone to the crushers, so I guess I can't do it now lol.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96beaterbird View Post

About the only advantage I can think to having DRL's is the people who 'forget' to put their headlights on at night can sort of be seen, well better than no lights at all I guess, and in a bad rainstorm they make you a bit more visible. Other than that, they're not going to prevent the teenager who's got their face buried in their phone texting their BFF from plowing into you. (I see crap like that EVERY day here).
That's not exactly better for everyone else on the road, and I'd say that is the number one problem with them. DRLs keep the side markers off too so unless you're directly in front where you can see the headlights, so if you're driving at night with low visibility those idiots can be a black hole.

That's really becoming a problem lately around here, and it's exacerbated by the fact that manufacturers are now pointlessly keeping the instruments illuminated at all times regardless of headlights, IN TANDEM with factory DRLs!!! So even by the miracle some brain dead moron has the rare flicker of sense and thinks "are my lights really on?" a quick glance at the instruments in full glow wrongly reassures them.

-Matt
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:10 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
That's not exactly better for everyone else on the road, and I'd say that is the number one problem with them. DRLs keep the side markers off too so unless you're directly in front where you can see the headlights, so if you're driving at night with low visibility those idiots can be a black hole.

That's really becoming a problem lately around here, and it's exacerbated by the fact that manufacturers are now pointlessly keeping the instruments illuminated at all times regardless of headlights, IN TANDEM with factory DRLs!!! So even by the miracle some brain dead moron has the rare flicker of sense and thinks "are my lights really on?" a quick glance at the instruments in full glow wrongly reassures them.
LOL, or the people who don't realize you have to turn the knob two clicks for headlights on! I see people driving with only their parking lights on all the time 'gee wonder why I can't see good?'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in