Window binding since tinting windows - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Window binding since tinting windows

I've tinted the windows in my cars many times but the last time my driver's side has been a real problem. The bolts gave me a lot more trouble than usual getting caught in the holes each time I thought it was clear to remove the glass. Immediately after finishing the tint job it was apparent that the driver's side was slow moving and binding in a couple of spots. I have to use my hand to pull very hard up on the window it get it past the 70% mark where it'll usually close with ease.

I dealt with the issue for months just assuming that maybe the bushings had failed again already so when I finally pulled the motor out the bushings were deformed but not obliterated. I went ahead and replaced the bushings with nuts but it made no change in the operation of the window. I then figured it was just needing the proper lube after having used WD-40 after the bushings replacement because my silicone spray had vanished from my collection of spray cans. While the super slippery Liquid Wrench did help a little it didn't really make any major change.

Next on my list was to try replacing the motor but I happened upon another topic that mentioned adjusting the regulator or simply widening the track. I would go ahead and try that but there seems to be another issue related to this that may need a solution too. It sounds as if there is sand within the edge of the molding that the window sits in along the B-pillar side of the door. I'm wondering if I need any kind of different lube to help with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
The Parts Guy

What were you spraying WD40 and Liquid Wrench on? Nothing rubber I hope. If so, that could be a big part of the problem.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
What were you spraying WD40 and Liquid Wrench on? Nothing rubber I hope. If so, that could be a big part of the problem.
I only sprayed the track of the regulator and I did go back over it with the Liquid Wrench since then. I'm not sure what's rubber in the door that you could've thought I had sprayed. The window channel I've left untouched but I'm asking if I should spray it with something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:16 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I'm going to be in my doors this weekend working on the locks and wanted to lube the glass runs and rollers while I was in there. Since it seems salient to this thread and not a thread hijack what is the preferred lube for the tracks and rollers. And while we're at it is there still such a thing as weather strip lube? I know the ford shop manuals would always mention this in the door and glass sections. I suspect it's just plain old silicone spray of some type.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM
4th Gear Poster

Mine were doing the same thing without tint. I used silicon spray inside the side / corner channel of the windows. They have been working great for 3+ months so far with no binding at all. I heard Honda dealers sell a specific silicon spray for just this reason.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Wow, spraying the window channels with silicone almost made all of the difference. There's still a little binding in 2 spots but now the window can open and close without needing assistance. I'm sure everything will be golden after readjusting the window until I can finally get a new door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in