Front license plate bracket rivet size. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Front license plate bracket rivet size.

Any one have any idea of the correct size rivets to use when mounting the front license plate bracket? I picked up the correct F6SX-17A385-AAW bracket and need to rivet to the front bumper. The manual shows the rivets but makes no mention of the part number. I'm guessing the plate holders are originally dealer installed and came with a instruction sheet and the hardware.

The original poly rivets got destroyed during the removal process so there's not really anything to go by. The license bracket looks to be made out if thermoset plastic about a 1/8 thick as does does the poly bumper. I snagged a poly riveter and some POM rivets at Harbor Frieght while grabbing the riveter for the door handles.

The Poly Rivet set came with some rivets and the 6.3 x 25.2 fit the hole the best. I've never used a poly riveter so I'm not exactly sure how these are sized or draw up. It's not a structural part so it's not like it's critical but I'd like to avoid any rattles or cracking the plate bracket or bumper.

Yeah I know I'm going backwards and most have pulled their brackets off and plugged the holes but I've been hassled by the cops on this issue before with other cars and would just rather have the bracket and plate on. And whoever brought the car in from PA to Ohio drilled some ugly holes on the bumper crooked so I'm covering those up.

At any rate if anyone has a clue as to the size I'd appreciate knowing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 AM
̇

Garage
You could try riveting the new license plate cover on with rivets similar to what the factory used..

Harbor Freight has the special tool, and rivets in one convenient package..

Here's a link--->>Rivets & Rivet Tool

You'll need to use the 6.3mm x 25.2mm size rivets..These are largest in the package..

The aftermarket rivets do not contain a steel core stem like the original rivets, but should do all right..Their just not as strong..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
You could try riveting the new license plate cover on with rivets similar to what the factory used..

Harbor Freight has the special tool, and rivets in one convenient package..

Here's a link--->>Rivets & Rivet Tool

You'll need to use the 6.3mm x 25.2mm size rivets..These are largest in the package..

The aftermarket rivets do not contain a steel core stem like the original rivets, but should do all right..Their just not as strong..

Rayo..
Thanks Rayo! I was kinda hoping you'd reply. You helped with the door rivets immensely. That's the kit I bought. I'll try that size after drilling the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 05:27 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CatMan View Post
Thanks Rayo! I was kinda hoping you'd reply. You helped with the door rivets immensely. That's the kit I bought. I'll try that size after drilling the holes.
NP..Glad I could help..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Bumping this old thread as I just ordered the license plate bracket for my Tbird. Simple question - what size holes should I drill for the rivet mounting?

Chris

---

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Sport - 4.6L V8 + Magnaflow dual exhaust
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM
PostWhore

The same size as the rivet, so can push thru the hole.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in