Quarter Panel Removal - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quarter Panel Removal

I am finally getting around to fixing the passenger side quarter panel that was damaged when someone backed into me about 6 months ago. Problem is most of the body shops I have visited are pretty reluctant to work on the car let alone give me pointers. The most recent shop said if I can get a replacement quarter panel they would attempt the work. It's getting frustrating that these body shops are blowing me off. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in removing quarter panels. Are they removable or are they welded to the body? I can't even find instructions or diagrams on how to remove them. Thanks!

Thunderbird Family -
93 Thunderbird LX V8 Mods:Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46, Blaupunkt GT Speakers, Blaupunkt 12" Sub, K&N Intake, Taurus Cupholder, MSD Cap, Rotor, Coil, and Wires, Bosch Super Copper Spark Plugs, Bosch Battery, 93 SC Rims W/Fuzion Tires
87 Thunderbird Sport V8 Mods:Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46, Blaupunkt GT Speakers, MSD Cap and Rotor, Autolite Platinum Spark Plugs, Bosch Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yes, they are welded to the car, and removing one is a very labor intensive task, especially trying to remove one without destroying in the process. Also bringing your car to a body shop that said "we'll try to work on it if you get the part" is an almost guaranteed recipe for disaster. Part of the reason shops are brushing you off is you will probably have sticker shock when you see how much it costs, and you would be better off buying another car. For replacement of a quarter panel including paint, expect to spend $3000 at a body shop. If the car is worth that to you, make sure the shop knows that you understand you will be spending more than the car is worth fixing it, and they will be more receptive. If it isn't worth that to you, then you are better off buying another bird to replace this one.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Have you tried paintless dent removal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If body shops are looking to replace the quarter instead of repair it, I'm pretty confident it is well past the point of PDR.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks for the input. I'm still actively looking at shops and the car has a lot of sentimental value. It was purchased brand new by my grandfather and the inherited by my uncle after his death. I then inherited it about 10 years ago after my uncle passed. Anyway I personally don't think it needs to be replaced, but I'll upload some pictures to give you an idea of the damage in a little bit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:12 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I'm curious why they want to replace it. The most obvious reason assuming there not extensive rust damage would be that getting it straight would be almost impossible. But assuming the subframe areas aren't bent and there's not extensive rust then it can probably be pulled pushed and filled. The down side would be it might not be a absolutely perfect or undetectable repair and the cost of getting it straight vs replacements probably more time consuming and hence more expensive.

Can you even get replacement quarter panels anymore? Considering some of the standard service parts that have been discontinued I wouldn't be surprised if rear quRtter sheet metal is long gone. I've been looking for a aftermarket drivers side fender for 6 months and while there are passengers side fenders to be had the drivers side is no longer available any place I've checked online. And that's a standard collision part.

My advice would be to not check high volume collision shops as they don't have the time or inclination to tie up a bay for a day or two while they hang a quarter or work on the existing one. Look for a smaller shop that does restoration work. And don't be in a hurry. These guys are still out there. Hit a few car shows for recommendations.

As a side note. About 5 years ago I managed to spin the car at 55 and clipped the rear quarter with a gaurd rail. Took out the tail light. Punched the trunk opening over a good 3-4 inches so there was a gaint gap. Since the car was strictly a winter beater at the time and my only goal was to get the trunk shut and the tail light back in a buddy and I resorted to a little sledge hammer, wood block and come along body work. While I'm NOT recommending this as a repair I was both shocked and pleased we managed to get the inner trunk lip moved back the 3 inchs and lined up and the deck lid seam matched up fine. Actually got the trunk lid gaps right on. Why do I mention this? What ever metal they used is actually pretty damn malleable. The car took a direct strike to the rear 1/4 and we managed to pop it back out. But the subframe and trunk floor was still straight. Had those been bent it's doubtful we would have been as successful. Had this been a mid seventies car with thicker metal I doubt we would have had this luck. So I'm really just trying to say if there's no structural damage there's a chance some one that's good and willing to take the time may be able to massage the existing quarter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
These are on eBay:

Ford Thunderbird T Bird Full Quarter Panels 1994 1997 Super Coupe Factory | eBay

"This is a pair of NOS Ford factory quarter panels for the 1994 through 1997 Ford Thunderbird. We bought new in 1997 and are in great condition. Buyer pickup in southeastern Indiana.If you need shipping these would have to ship by truck."

They have been relisted quite a few times. They may be the last set out there.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

The body work itself is not to bad, i can give you a crash course and if you need videos from a top body man
I do my bodywork my self is not that hard just need proper planing and patience
what welder you have access to tig or mig?
i can get you also dent removal literature from a time bondo was not a normal procedure and hammer and dolly had to be used.
With enough time and patience there is no body shop needed
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:13 PM
4th Gear Poster

other source on ebay :Ford Thunderbird 2 Door Quarter Panel Left 1989 1997 | eBay if needed or fix my rust is also a sheet metal provider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in