Door latch problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Door latch problem

Hello, I have a strange door latch problem on passenger side. The door will not close after opening it unless I take my finger and slide the latch located on the door jam halfway up and then slam the door hard. If I slide the latch all the way up, the door bounces back, and if I leave it in the down position where it should be when the door is open, the door also bounces back.

I've had this problem before on other vehicles, not being able to close the door, and I have always fixed it by taking a screwdriver and getting the latch unstuck, and then blasting it with lubricant to free it up, but this seems to be a different problem.

Now here is the weird part. The drivers door works fine, but if I slide the latch to the same position as I do on the passenger side to make the passenger door close, it has the opposite effect and bounces back.

I have checked several other MN-12s at various salvage yards when looking for parts, and on all of them, when I flip this door latch up halfway the door WILL NOT close, but on mine I have to flip it up (or put it in the wrong position IMO) in order to get the door to close. It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something.

I did find some articles here at TCCOA regarding latches and sagging doors but the door lines up fine and does not sag.

I was hoping to get some info. here before I go to Ford and spend who knows how much to have them figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Kind of slapped together

Have you tried adjusting the door lock striker? Sounds like it's slipped out of adjustment.

Takes a T45 or T50 bit, or a big pair of Lock-Jaw pliers *grins* to loosen and tighten.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 AM
PostWhore

I believe you can still buy new latches (were available last year).

Brenda's Cougar did the same thing really bad, we just lubricated it. What you described sounds like exactly what her car was doing, kept having to flip the thing up. I bought two latches, and they are still sitting on the shelf because I realized how hard the job was!

There are like four rods attached to the latch, and the whole R&R is done with two fingers. Oh, did I mention you cannot see in that corner of the door cavity where you are working. That is why they are still sitting on the shelf!

Removing one from the junkyard is the way to go cause you can "practice" on that car.

Good luck with it.
Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to those who have replied. I looked at the door strike and it doesn't appear to be adjustable but I'll have to loosen it and see if it moves. I tried blasting the latch (again) with some silicone lubricant and it changed nothing, and even if it had fixed the problem, it wouldn't explain to me why I have to put the latch in the wrong position to get the door to close. Wouldn't you think that putting the latch in the closed position in order to close the door would make it worse? Very strange.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 AM
PostWhore

I doubt the strike needs adjusted, it's just a latch on the fritz.

And like I said, our old Cougar did the same thing - there was only one way you could flip it to make the door close correctly, and it didn't look right.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 10:37 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Auger
Hello, I have a strange door latch problem on passenger side. The door will not close after opening it unless I take my finger and slide the latch located on the door jam halfway up and then slam the door hard. If I slide the latch all the way up, the door bounces back, and if I leave it in the down position where it should be when the door is open, the door also bounces back.
The door latch may not be the problem at all..

Unless you have damaged the door latch mechanism from repeated slamming or the door being misaligned from sagging..

I suspect the actuator rods that run from the door handles inside, and outside of the door are what's causing this problem..

Take the door panels off, and have a good look at the inside of both doors..

Watch the door latch mechanism as you open the door handle from the inside, and outside on the good door..

You should pay special attention to the way the actuator rods are moving the latch mechanism on the good door..

Then do the same thing on the door that's giving you trouble..So you can watch the difference between them..

It's possible one of the actuator rods has become bent or fallen off..One of the plastic bits in there may have broken as well..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in