Tail light issue. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Tail light issue.

Hello all,

About a week or two ago, the driver side rear tail light went out. The long red panel between the brake lights and reverse lights. At first I thought it was a bulb but it looks like there are several bulbs in that panel, but I am not sure as I don't see any way to remove it so I can check it. This happened right after I carried some plastic lawn chairs in the trunk and used some bungee cords to keep the trunk lid as low as possible. So I suspect, I may have loosened a connector by mistake, although, again, I cannot see where it goes. I am disabled, and unable to crawl into the trunk, but do have a friend or two who could help if I can supply the knowledge. One is 13, and the other is not mechanically inclined. Any help would be appreciated, as this is driving me crazy looking at my car with one panel on, and the other off.

Also, related to this issue is the third brake lights. The driver side bulb has been out ever since I bought the car, but again, I can't seem to see a connection. I can feel around the area for the wires, but can't see where they connect to the bulbs. I would like to replace both bulbs (already bought the bulbs) at the same time and use the currently working one as a spare. However, as stated above, I cannot find the access hole, or connector, or anything.

Jim

1996 Thunderbird LX, 4.6 SOHC, Auto, 124k miles "Silver Bullet" 100% stock (So far)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The LED panel with the chromed bird emblem in the middle is a common failure point. There is a short connector that hooks up near the trunk lock though; it's possible that got yanked out (although not likely since it's got a pretty tight snap connector). They're not designed to be serviceable parts, so your best bet is to find a known good replacement. Otherwise, feel free to cut it open and try to replace the LED strip.

As far as the high mount stop lamp, the bulbs are replaceable from under the package tray in the trunk IIRC. It uses a 921 bulb. If it's anything like my Mark VIII getting to the bulbs is a bit of a pain (I never had a T-bird with the package tray mounted stop lamp - mine has it in the spoiler).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:14 PM
PostWhore

I believe that the plastic third brake light housing pops off its base, and then you can get at the bulbs. Of course, to do this, you need to be crawled into the back seat. So it might be time to get a friend involved. I don't remember exactly how it needs to be moved, but I would try sliding it toward the front of the car first.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can fix the 3rd brake light tomorrow, when my friend is here. Don't know what I will do about the LED lights though.

Jim

1996 Thunderbird LX, 4.6 SOHC, Auto, 124k miles "Silver Bullet" 100% stock (So far)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in