86 Thunderbird Elan - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dan1863
  • 1 Post By dan1863

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Cool 86 Thunderbird Elan

Has anyone changed or made custom led tail lights for their bird? I know the rear of my car looks very dated naturally but was thinking I wonder if anyone has made themselves a custom set and if so do you have a photo and what stuff did you buy to do it.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151006_185002.jpg (905.1 KB, 15 views)
Woodman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1863 View Post
Has anyone changed or made custom led tail lights for their bird? I know the rear of my car looks very dated naturally but was thinking I wonder if anyone has made themselves a custom set and if so do you have a photo and what stuff did you buy to do it.

Thanks
Well I like that generation Tbird, I had two of that generation Cougar (one XR-7 5 speed) one LS (5.0) and they were great cars.

I haven't seen aftermarket LED taillights in person, but there are some aftermarket plug in LED lights that may replace the stock bulbs. Maybe a start?

Does the full width of the tail light light up in that generation? Rigging up a sequential turn signal/brake light would look pretty cool like in the 60's Tbirds and Shelby Mustangs (which just used Thunderbird taillights). I had a set in my 1999 Mustang GT that worked out pretty good. Shouldn't be too hard to convert that setup to the Thunderbird if the whole thing lights up. How many bulbs in the tail lights?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If they're anything like Cougars of that generation the red part is a translucent outer lens, and inside there's a "clear" fluted diffuser to spread the light. LEDs will have to be custom laid out regardless but projecting them out of a clear non fluted lens is key, LED bulbs don't work right in stock incandescent housings well.

Better option IMO, disassemble the housing and either paint the dull silver part white or laminate it it with chrome foil it increase and even out the light output with the existing bulbs and arrangement.

And Dated? who cares! Your car looks better than 95% of the cars available off dealer lots today.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 01-26-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Cool

I havent seen any aftermarket parts.

I may try the chrome foil that may brighten it up.

There are 2 bulbs for the brake,parking and turn signals.

I have a sequencer that flashes one bulb at a time may hook that back up as well.

Thanks for your input.

I am going to redo the front of the car and ad a 22" light bar on the bumper and one 4" flood on each side of it.

Here is what it currently looks like. with just regular fog lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151006_184850.jpg (771.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151006_184900.jpg (850.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151006_184914.jpg (797.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151006_184927.jpg (934.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151006_185022.jpg (899.5 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Here's a good thread on the subject. The basic design is basically identical to your 86

70 Tail Light Brightness

Appropriately enough This pic shows LED bulbs on the left, vs reflective filmed housings and regular incandescent bulbs on the right

-Matt
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1863 View Post
I havent seen any aftermarket parts.

I may try the chrome foil that may brighten it up.

There are 2 bulbs for the brake,parking and turn signals.

I have a sequencer that flashes one bulb at a time may hook that back up as well.

Thanks for your input.

I am going to redo the front of the car and ad a 22" light bar on the bumper and one 4" flood on each side of it.

Here is what it currently looks like. with just regular fog lights.

My personal opinion, having only two lights in a sequence will be confusing because it just looks like it goes back and forth, like a Cylon's "eyes" or the one on K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider except between only two lights. For a proper sequential turn signal, you need three lights to light up in series, so it shows the direction the light is turning in.

Edit---
Car looks great! What's up with the POLICE tags?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Here's a good thread on the subject. The basic design is basically identical to your 86

70 Tail Light Brightness

Appropriately enough This pic shows LED bulbs on the left, vs reflective filmed housings and regular incandescent bulbs on the right

The one on the right looks much better than the one on the left.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
My personal opinion, having only two lights in a sequence will be confusing because it just looks like it goes back and forth, like a Cylon's "eyes" or the one on K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider except between only two lights. For a proper sequential turn signal, you need three lights to light up in series, so it shows the direction the light is turning in.

Edit---

Well the sequencer lights one bulb and stays on and the other bulb comes on and then both turn off then repeat.
Woodman likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Agreed.

More importantly, what's up with all the lights on the front bumper?

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:

70 Tail Light Brightness

Chiming in here a bit late but I wanted to clarify that there are in fact plug and play LEDs that work properly, but they don't come cheap. This is a perfect example of not being able to cheap out on them. The main contender on the market right now are V3 Tritons from V-LEDS. These use a virtual filament optic that is adjustable to match any focal point in just about any assembly. I had a bulb from a company called Elef in my Bird for a bit. They use a single Osram Dragon chip with a reflector cap over top to direct light into the reflector. Here's some clips.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 4.6L V8 - Full LED conversion almost complete - Daily Driver
2012 Mazda 3i Touring - Skyactiv-G 2.0L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, TRS Black Series Clear Lenses w/blocked squirrell finders, DDM 4500K HID low beams, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
2011 Mazda 2 Sport - 1.5L I4 - LED interior and tag lights, First Retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America using Morimoto Mini D2S projectors and Osram Xenarc 4300K D2S bulbs http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
Now offering retrofitting services including projector swaps, lens swaps, painting, etc. PM for details
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:

70 Tail Light Brightness

Thanks for posting this.

My Torino has a metal reflector plate behind the taillights that is solid rust and either painting it silver or doing what you did makes a huge difference.

I don't think the reflector plates were ever galvanized from the factory.

Use a tool, don't be one...

-Mark

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
1970 Torino GT 351C 4V

...................................GT
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\..|||||

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in