VFN hood fitment issues.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Red97Tbird
VFN hood fitment issues..

Any one else get on of these hoods and have to modify there hood hinges and there hood to get it to go on? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Yes and yes

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Does anybody else's vfn hood raised on the driver side by the wiper molding ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I'll let you know if mine is raised once I get it on. Have the left side done now need to cut the rest of the right side. Have all the wiper molding off right now, while I cut the hinges. Also are you all using your factory hood struts to hold the hood up? Thanks

4.6 explorer motor,Water meth injection, V1 Vortech, 3.48 pully,BBK 78mm, Dirty Dog 9.5 converter 3500 stall, RobertP built trans, 8.8 rear with trac lock, 3.73 gears, BrainCoating manifolds, Dual 2.5" exhaust.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
My old VFN had a slight raise that you are talking about. The new one they make, the hinge support is more beefy. That's why you need to cut the hinges a little to make them fit. Doesn't hurt anything, it can support the weight. I use the factory hood struts no problem.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thanks I'll hack away at it a bit more lol.. Hope to have it on by Monday. Need to get it on so I can get the bullitt intake put on.

4.6 explorer motor,Water meth injection, V1 Vortech, 3.48 pully,BBK 78mm, Dirty Dog 9.5 converter 3500 stall, RobertP built trans, 8.8 rear with trac lock, 3.73 gears, BrainCoating manifolds, Dual 2.5" exhaust.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I must have the extended cowl on mine because you can only raise it like 4ft before your hittng the wiper blade. Now removing the blade gets me another few inches of hood clearance. It's just annoying having to remove the wiper blade to work on the car.. is there a way to make the bolt on hood a pin on?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I have the bolt-on cowl hood from VFN. Had to trim 3/4" from the rear edge of the cowl portion to allow the hood to open fully without hitting the windshield. I had a body shop handle the rest of the install, fitting and paint. They advised against using the hood struts because the force from them dimpled the hood when closed, and they said it could cause the paint to crack. I went with a prop rod to avoid that, but unfortunately the paint eventually cracked anyway from my having to slam the hood closed. The hood latch bracket was not positioned correctly for easy latching. So, watch for that!

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I swear if it's not one thing it's anoughter.. I get it on the car and have it pretty much lined up. Go to close it and it won't. Look up under and it doesn't clear the Vortech. I really don't want to cut any of the bracing . If I had know it was going to cut this damn much I would have just got the pin on hood.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Your going to have to trim the bracing of the hood.. I had to and it fits perfect. Get yourself some good hood pins. Aerocatch hood locks are great and I highly recommend them.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Rob got it to fit over his Vortech. Give him a call and ask him how he did it.

Edit: My bad, I just realized Rob and I have Fiber Concepts hoods not VFN. They're not the same.

You might ask OxmanWI for suggestions. He has the VFN hood.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-03-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
I never had a Vortech with my hood(s).

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

From what I can see it clears the blower . But hits the intake tube. Also hitting the clamps for the discharge tube. I think I can drop the intake tube another inch and clamps on discharge are easy fix. I'll update this weekend when I get a chance to work on it.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-04-2016 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Fix spelling of another.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Yep still have to cut the hood a little not to bad. Replaced the door pins in my driver door this weekend also. Door now shuts with one finger . Little more body work to do then time for paint.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Nice! Can't wait to see it finally painted.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Here is a picture of my hood brackets. I also had to use different bolts, the stock bolts would hit the fender upon closing the hood.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

That looks just like mine do right now. Got it on and lined up last night. Did have to cut out about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide of bracing to get it to sit. Was hitting the intake tube and the discharge tube off the supercharger. Looks sweet thought. Also rolled the fenders this weekend. Hope to have it painted and on the road again in about a month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in