Will 93 lx bumper cover fit 91 sport tbird. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Will 93 lx bumper cover fit 91 sport tbird.

I need to swap to a 93 lx bumper cover on my 91 5.0 front end in order to use the xenon front ground effect that claim to be only made for 92-93 model thunder birds.
Wondering if this is a normal swap or are there any differences in between even tho 89-93 thunderbird are same body style visually on the front . Thats why I don't under stand how they can quote it as fitting 92 93 models if these gens seemingly are the same besides my 91 has some pronounced lines/design on the cover. This all pertains to just bolting it up and calling it a regular replacement fit without running into swapping parts behind the cover
If not I have to refinish and reuse my factory 91 sport front valance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Yes it's a direct fit.

The 89-93s varied in side trim and some GFX kits made for them will extend all the way up to the side moldings for a seamless fit:

-89-90s all had thick black painted side moldings, same thickness as the "bulge" on the front/rear bumpers

-91 carried over the same front/rear bumpers but body colored the section below the trim inserts, but the side moldings were changed to thin strips, to match the thinner black/trim area of the fronts(similar in thickness to 89-93 SC moldings for that matter)

-92 carried over the 91 trim for the BASE models, but body colored everything but the inserts, and LX and Sport models got the SC front bumper and tapered side moldings, lifted from 1991 Cougar XR7, which are thin at the front and thick at the rear(as thick as the rear bumper bulge). Rear bumpers were carried over for all models

-93 was consolidated into a single LX package, and the front SC bumper and tapered side moldings were exactly like the 92 LX and Sport. The only difference being the chrome trim inserts in the quarter panel moldings and rear bumper cover were deleted and smoothed over, but the shapes themselves were identical.

So if you have a GFX kit meant for 1993, and this kit has extensions up to the moldings/bulges, your existing rear bumper will work with them, since the only difference in bumpers are the trim inserts. The side moldings would be where you'd run into issues, because there'd be a gap between the GFX extensions and your thin 91 moldings.

If the kit you have only covers the rocker panels though, then it's a non issue, only difference would be the front bumper.

-Matt
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Yes it's a direct fit.

The 89-93s varied in side trim and some GFX kits made for them will extend all the way up to the side moldings for a seamless fit:

-89-90s all had thick black painted side moldings, same thickness as the "bulge" on the front/rear bumpers

-91 carried over the same front/rear bumpers but body colored the section below the trim inserts, but the side moldings were changed to thin strips, to match the thinner black/trim area of the fronts(similar in thickness to 89-93 SC moldings for that matter)

-92 carried over the 91 trim for the BASE models, but body colored everything but the inserts, and LX and Sport models got the SC front bumper and tapered side moldings, lifted from 1991 Cougar XR7, which are thin at the front and thick at the rear(as thick as the rear bumper bulge). Rear bumpers were carried over for all models

-93 was consolidated into a single LX package, and the front SC bumper and tapered side moldings were exactly like the 92 LX and Sport. The only difference being the chrome trim inserts in the quarter panel moldings and rear bumper cover were deleted and smoothed over, but the shapes themselves were identical.

So if you have a GFX kit meant for 1993, and this kit has extensions up to the moldings/bulges, your existing rear bumper will work with them, since the only difference in bumpers are the trim inserts. The side moldings would be where you'd run into issues, because there'd be a gap between the GFX extensions and your thin 91 moldings.

If the kit you have only covers the rocker panels though, then it's a non issue, only difference would be the front bumper.

Thanks for the very detailed info..
That's all I needed yo know is if i can swap a 93 of front rear bumper over to my 91.
I can tell you know what's going on here just my mentioning the gap between the side skirt moldings and the thin strip molding .The front bumper was the most noticeable diff I'n fitting the 93 xenon front air dam.
But in order to match it all up the rear must be changed too cause of the red molding that would remain throwing off the design and color
My plan was to either leave that gap which is about half inch or more then likely just remove the factory thin strip that runs along the door and rear quarter and change the front rear covers and call it a win.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in