1997 Headlamp Assembly Puzzle - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By V22

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

1997 Headlamp Assembly Puzzle

Today my brother noticed the passenger headlamp was way out of adjustment. Further inspection reveals the adjuster may not even be properly assembled. In the picture you see the ball on the end of the adjuster. That ball on the driver side, looks as if it is actually inside the device being held onto the back of the assembly with two screws.

Question: do I need to completely remove the headlamp assembly, remove the device with the two screws, remove the adjuster, and thread it through the device, and replace the device? On the driver side, from what I can tell without removal, it appears the end of the adjuster is inside of the device in the picture

In the second picture you see the clip which there are two of for each headlamp lens. I'm missing one. How important are those? Must I go to Ford to get them? When those are removed do you simply pry the lens from the housing for cleaning the inside, and painting reflectors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlamp adjuster.jpg (930.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg headlamp assembly lens clip.jpg (1.07 MB, 2 views)

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 PM
V22
2nd Gear Poster

I'm not sure exactly how the headlight adjuster works, but I'll take some pics of mine and post them up (they haven't been messed with).

As for the clips, I'd guess they aren't totally necessary since the headlight lens is already held on with glue. I don't think you can just pry them apart, heat would be needed.

This tutorial elaborates a little on the painting process. Looks like a cool idea.

THNDRN_1 How To: Headlights
Tbird Bob likes this.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L , Vermillion
If you see a shiny red car swerving around potholes and parking 10000 miles from all the other plebeians in parking lots, then it's probably me.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 AM
PostWhore

If you Google it, I think you can buy those long adjuster bolts, possibly in a HELP package. It would be the bolt with socket, inside that plastic flange.

To actually adjust the headlights, you just turn the hex head on the long bolt.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
If you Google it, I think you can buy those long adjuster bolts, possibly in a HELP package. It would be the bolt with socket, inside that plastic flange.

To actually adjust the headlights, you just turn the hex head on the long bolt.

Al
The adjuster isn't missing. It just isn't properly assembled, and I don't see how it goes together. Guess I'll remove the driver side to see what it should look like.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Long bolt with a square end, at least on my 93. I bought one of those adjuster wrenches designed to only adjust Ford headlights.

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
The adjuster isn't missing. It just isn't properly assembled, and I don't see how it goes together. Guess I'll remove the driver side to see what it should look like.
That's what I'm saying, that socket end of the bolt is supposed to swivel in the plastic piece, which sounds like it's broken and it just poked thru.

To remove the headlight from the car, you need a 9mm deep well 1/4" drive socket (not common). I ended up buying it from Northern Tool IIRC. If you use the wrong size and it slips, you're done. It is a plastic hex head nut.

The nut turns 90 deg, then the headlight pops out (there are two of them IIRC). It is a crappy setup overall because they get worn, and sometimes the headlight is a little loose.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
That's what I'm saying, that socket end of the bolt is supposed to swivel in the plastic piece, which sounds like it's broken and it just poked thru.

To remove the headlight from the car, you need a 9mm deep well 1/4" drive socket (not common). I ended up buying it from Northern Tool IIRC. If you use the wrong size and it slips, you're done. It is a plastic hex head nut.

The nut turns 90 deg, then the headlight pops out (there are two of them IIRC). It is a crappy setup overall because they get worn, and sometimes the headlight is a little loose.

Al
Now I may have screwed the pooch; while trying to force the adjuster into the holder, I popped the reflector from its holder.

I got the 9mm deep socket, and managed to turn the top nut into place for release. The assembly came out about an inch, but now it seems to be stuck to the bottom adjuster. I've yet to locate the second nut, although I do believe there should be one. It seems I may need to thread the adjuster all the way out of the header panel, toward the lamp assembly.

If I don't pull off this repair, I'll be driving my Ford courier for awhile. I hope once it's out I'll be able to separate the lens from the holder. I hope the reflector simply slides back into position.

A new assembly from Ford is obsolete, but they have outside sources for replacement. Such a deal, $286.50 plus shipping.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Thank the good Lord, and the input from a great group of fellows at TCCOA.

The hunch I had yesterday about the adjuster head not being in its socket was the problem. Who ever messed with it previously had to have taken the adjuster assembly apart. Or maybe it was done so at the factory.

The problem I was having with removal of the headlamp assembly was, I was looking for three individual 9mm hex head bolts. There is only one. However, there is also one on each adjuster assembly. Those also take a 90 degree counter clockwise turn to remove.

As for the reflector I knocked off; once I had the assembly out of the car, I was able to reach in the bulb socket with a pair of hemostats to maneuver it into place, Whew!

I'm gonna sleep extra well tonight.

P.S. Credit also goes the producer of this video: https://youtu.be/NPK3cY1TV7w 1996 Ford Thunderbird Aftermarket Headlight Headlamp replacement

Last edited by Tbird Bob; 11-10-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in