The Cougar is BACK! - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Went and picked up the Cougar from Maaco this morning. Because I have the ability to let it sit for 3-4 days before I start the assembly, I am going to work on the interior, cleaning it up, cleaning off the overspray and setting up schedules for the windows to be tinted and a new front window put on.

They did a fine job, not world class, but it should last 5 years or so. The last paint job lasted almost 17 years before going to crap.

I ordered 3M window seal today too. Should be here on Tuesday. Need to finish prep'in the windows for tint (cost less if I pull the old film and glue off) and am debating going to the yard to see if I can find a better quarter window and head lights and a few small things I need.

The hood turned out nice on the inside... the outside has some slight orange peal, but expected when you paint in one coat and all the factors that going into shooting the paint on. Wonder if I would have got a better job if I would have paid another $1000... :P

Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3657.JPG (2.63 MB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3658.JPG (3.26 MB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3665.JPG (4.30 MB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3669.JPG (2.36 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3661.JPG (2.88 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3663.JPG (3.47 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3666.JPG (2.43 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3673.JPG (2.81 MB, 31 views)

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-18-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:11 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Looks good! Reminds me how bad I need to get my bird painted lol

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Looks good! Reminds me how bad I need to get my bird painted lol
Took me over 10 years to decide to just spend the money. Biggest factor is if you want to spend over a grand on a car you may not keep and the value on the market is less than the paint job. That is what kept me from doing it. ALmost did it myself, but I have way to much other crap to do that I just did not have the time to sand, fill, clean the car and prep the garage to paint.

Lot to think about.

Thanks Wile!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:43 PM
V22
2nd Gear Poster

Looks wonderful, nothing like breathing life into an older car!

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L , Vermillion
If you see a shiny red car swerving around potholes and parking 10000 miles from all the other plebeians in parking lots, then it's probably me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 04:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

So what did it cost you getting that done? Was there body work they did too, or just the paint? I am planning on having mine done in the Spring or Summer. Oh, what "level" paint did you get from them???
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
So what did it cost you getting that done? Was there body work they did too, or just the paint? I am planning on having mine done in the Spring or Summer. Oh, what "level" paint did you get from them???
Hi Lurch,
It started at $1200 for single, one shot clear coat mix. They sanded and filled small dents, took the trunk down to metal and the hood too. I pulled everything I could but the outside door trim cause it is mounted the window frame and more work to pull it than it was worth. Even the guy at the paint place said they would not do it.

The only bondo was on the roof from previous work (pre-1997) that was cracking. They said they would have to grind it out and re-fill it. Then, as mentioned, there were the small parking lot dings, not that noticeable. The drivers door had a bend in it (pre-before I bought it) and the front bumper was pretty bad.

They painted the hood, inside and out, filled small parking lot dents, but did not get them all. They also mounted and leveled the hood, straightened my passenger door and took the window trim off since I did not have the tool and ran out of time to do it myself. Oh, and they had to bring the front bumper down to the plastic and said they would rather do that cause it can be kinda tricky when power sanding plastic.

Total was like $2200. I may have been able to get a better price or even a better paint job, but it's done and I liked that they worked with me and treated me well.

It has a 5 year warranty. I will be surprised if I have the car that much longer. But for the next couple of years, it will be nice to drive a car that does not look like crap.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thank you

Thank you to everyone that contributed your knowledge and thoughts into helping me to get the car ready to be painted. It was great help to get feedback about what I was doing and what I should do.

This is a great site and really knowledgeable people on here.

Thank you again.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM
PostWhore

The paint job looks really nice, and kudos on sticking with the factory color!

I think that if taken care of, the paint will last longer than 5 years. Hold on to the car and get your money's worth out of it.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Looks good!

The clear coat mix thing Maaco does is basically BS, it's a single stage base that has a bit more luster straight out the gun. The point of a base/clear 2 stage paintjob is for the clearcoat to act as a barrier to protect the base stage, mixed there will be "base" covering "clear and vice versa. With metallic paint don't ever think about polishing or buffing, the flakes are completely exposed on the outer layer and will come off or get distorted with polishing compound and especially wetsanding.
Creighton likes this.

-Matt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks Al and thanks Matt for the input. I called Maaco this morning to find out why the coat was not glossy 'r and they said it is the way that two types of paint come out and how they shoot the last cover coat (or something like that) kinda dulls the finish. Also, the amount of sanding they had to do effects the paint finish. I did like that he said to use Dawn to strip the wax and grime off the car before waxing again or just to wash. He said that the car soaps have wax and other additives in them that will coat over the old wax, grime and not really give you a clean wash, per say. But I really should not wash it for several weeks. He said the paint has a heavy electrostatic charge to it and why it attracts so much dust. Interesting.

I do need to get a little touch up paint. This stuff is still soft and should harden in about 30 days. I already swung around in the garage with a piece of wood in my hand and hit the paint. A little mar is now my reminder to be careful.

I started putting things together starting with the tail lights. Come to find out the rear trunk light assembly (license plate, backups, etc) one piece part had a crack right in the middle and the old rubber sealers they used for the bolts all had to be removed for the thing to seal right. The back up light seals also would not stay on after I pulled them cleaned all the old glue off. I used some black sealent to hold them back in place and glued the crack up and put a think layer of plastic over the crack to bond with the glue and help hold the crack in place. (Am I rattling here or WHAT?)

I did figure in that if I had a coat and clear coat done separately, the cost would have gone up significantly, but I don't know. Some things I research till I have nothing left to figure out and other things i "just go with it". This was one of the those "just go with it" and getterdone....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in