Pinstripe - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By white lincoln

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Pinstripe

Sharing some pics and how I did my pinstripe and hope it helps someone else that decides to run pinstriping on their car.

I did a lot of research on this and found that most 94-95 Cougar's do not have pinstriping on them. And the ones that did, most had it above the indent along the side.

THe old pinstripe was white and below the indent. It hit the front fender wheel well as it went over the area below the indent and the raise of the wheel well. (see pic with white pinstripe)

So I figured it would better and easier to go above the indent, though the wife wanted to know why I did not go IN the indent. (see pics of silver stripe)

I was going to use Prostripe brand as i used on my Town Car, but after talking to the body shop, they said they had issues with ProStripe brand recently and went with 3M. I researched the 3M size and color I wanted and got a 5/16" silver dual strip. (3M Scotchcal 72305 Vinyl Film Coated Double Striping Tape, 150' Length x 5/16" Width, Silver Metallic)

CLEANING THE SURFACE OF THE PAINT IS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PART! I clean my paint surface with Isopropyl Alcohol to make sure I get all the wax and grease, dirt, etc off before starting. I would do a 4" area of where you are taping because the tape will fall down when you are working with it and the less contaminants on the adhesive surface for the tape to adhere to, the better.

Starting with a an end point, pull back a small amount of the paper to expose the adhesive. Press on about 1/4" or so of the tape BEFORE where you want start (cut point back end or front end). Pull the tape the length of the car and then some and cut it off from the tape reel.

Starting with the first part, stretch out the tape pulling away the paper and press it at the first door junction slot with your thumb.

Continue over the door to the next door junction slot and press it in place over the junction slot.

Continue to the end and press it down with a finger at the end, past where you want to stop.

Going back to the first junction point, cut the tape at the door junction with a razor, DO NOT USE AN OLD RAZAR! You will need a really sharp, new, not dirty razor. If you don't have one, get one.

Pull up the tape from the paint at the door junction and begin lining up the tape with something on the car to measure by (like the indent on Cougars). Press small areas as you align the tape so you can lift the tape up again to re-align if needed. DO NOT OVER THINK THIS! Just lay it out and when it looks level and right, call it good. The tape is vinyl and will stretch, so DO NOT pull hard, hard enough to stay taunt, but do not stretch the tape.

Using your thumb, press down over the finished section but leave the end along so you can go back and cut it where you want it, make shapes, etc.

Do the above aligning for the other two parts of the car (door and other end).

Leave the front and rear ends for later. Do not press them down hard.

Note: If you are not going to do anything fancy with the design and just cut it at the ends, pull the tape to where you want and using scissors, cut the tape and press it in place. Then follow the next steps to remove the clear coat.

At the junctions of between fender, door and rear, using the sharp razor, gently cut a slice back from the edge about 1/8". You can cut into the paint, so do it lightly once, and again if needed. It won't take much with a sharp razor to cut the vinyl. You can tuck the pinstripe into the junction to hide it, but chances are it will work lose in time and become a problem. Just cut the tape back from the junction slot and be done with it. (see pic of junction)

After you have the tape where you want it from end to end, Peel the clear coating off of the tape by using the sharp end of the razor to lift 1) FROM THE CENTER of the stripe if dual stripe or 2) from an edge of a single stripe. With the edge of the sharp razor, Lift the clear plastic strip up and begin pulling it away from the pinstripe. BE CAREFUL as you pull the end of the clear tape, it can pull the pinstripe up with it. If this happens, just push it back down and start again. I had to use the razor to separate the pinstripe from the clear coat at some points. Just take your time.

While pulling the clear covering from the pinstripe, use your thumb to press down on both the clear coat and pinstripe running your thumb before the peeling of the clear tape. This will help to adhere the tape to the paint as you pull up on the clear coat tape.

Using the edge of the NEW razor, you can lift the pinstripe off the paint and move it around to get the effect you want. It is time consuming and frustrating, but just be patient and work slowly to get the best results. You can see that i crossed the ends of the tape at the ends. Remember to use the sharp corner edge of the razor to get under the pinstripe without cutting into the paint. As mentioned, it is time consuming so just work with the pinstriping to get the pattern you want.

Once done, using your thumb, press down the pinstripe to the paint again to be sure that all parts of the pinstripe have adhered to the paint.

Wax over the pinstripe and a large area around the pinstriped area to cover and protect the new taped surface.

Once i was done I put 'rubber door edge protectent over the edge of the door to keep the surface of the door edge from getting dinged when I slam my door into the garage wall while getting out of the car (see pic).

I recommend watching videos on the various ways of pinstriping a car to get a good idea of what works for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinstripe.JPG (152.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg fender stripe.jpg (1.50 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Side Stripe.jpg (1.47 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg junction.jpg (1.08 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg door protectant.jpg (1.16 MB, 7 views)
Tbird Bob likes this.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by white lincoln; 12-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:57 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Looks great, excellent job!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 PM
PostWhore

Great job! I agree it looks much better above the groove. That's the way my old T-Bird was.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The placement is pretty arbitrary, since I'm fairly certain no MN12 left Lorain with pinstripes except for the 25th anniversary Cougars, and dealers simply added them on along with undercoating if requested. The Anniversarys did use that exact placement though (see attached pic)

Personally I think they *pop* better with the less seen placement under the indent, they give the optical illusion that the "upper body" bulges out from the lower body ala vintage BMWs(which is appropriate, since this generation was modeled after the E24), the pinstripes wind up having a shadow effect. In the above position there isn't that effect, and with such a thin area between the glass and the stamped indent the pinstripes tend to make that whole area look cluttered, not so much on yours with light colors, but with more heavily contrasting colors(especially white paint/black pinstripe) it tends to look like an afterthought. My theory as to why dealers(and the factory on the 25th) put them where you moved them to is simply because many of the optional RKE keypad, and it would make placement more difficult since it protrudes right into that area.

I also like that the terminus of the stripes logically ends at the headlights/taillights in the lower position, rather than arbitrarily above them - as a OCD perfectionist I need to see them wrap around the hood and trunklid across to the other side(which would look goofy, but still...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 198735A6-D614-4088-9017-07533C4273C2-28848-00007290D81DA2E5.jpeg (511.2 KB, 6 views)

-Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:50 PM
4th Gear Poster

Looks very nice! Makes it look even more like it is brand new and you just recently drove it off the dealer lot. Nice to see that you are keeping the car so stock and clean. It seems like it's getting harder to find examples of a really nice condition Cougar all original.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
with pinstripes except for the 25th anniversary Cougars, and dealers simply added them on along with undercoating if requested. The Anniversarys did use that exact placement though (see attached pic):
Interesting observation, but very welcomed. I appreciate that you pointed out that the only Cougar that came out with a pinstripe was the 97 Anniversary edition and that it was on the top of the indent.

Your opinions are very much welcomed.

PS: I did think about wrapping the pinstripe around the car... but as you said... not acceptable in the real world. Anal people seem to think alike.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Looks very nice! Makes it look even more like it is brand new and you just recently drove it off the dealer lot. Nice to see that you are keeping the car so stock and clean. It seems like it's getting harder to find examples of a really nice condition Cougar all original.
I was thinking the same thing! It's Like having a new car, which was the intent. We have been spending a lot of time looking at cars and finally decided that the condition of this car and now that I have all the kinks worked out, was worth keeping. It is a car that my wife felt very comfortable with and liked driving and being driven in.

As for older cars looking like crap after time and many owners (not being taken car of)... my last experience at the junk was solidified by the amount of cars that the previous owner had no desire to keep the car in a socially acceptable condition. People can be such slobs. But then again, if they kept the car up and took care of it, it would not be in the junk yard to begin with.

Thank you for compliment. It has been a love / hate relationship with this car. I can only say I wished I had bought a Cougar with a V8 in it. That has been the one biggest pain in the arse with this car.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 AM
PostWhore

Where the pinstrip stops at the door, etc, do you do anything special to get the "rounded off" corners, or does it just come out that way?

I would have thought that a straight cut with a knife would make a blunt 90 deg corner (and not look as good). Every pinstriped car I have seen seems to have rounded corners on all flush cuts, like it was painted on.

Wish you were closer, I would pay you to pinstripe my car!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Where the pinstrip stops at the door, etc, do you do anything special to get the "rounded off" corners, or does it just come out that way?

I would have thought that a straight cut with a knife would make a blunt 90 deg corner (and not look as good). Every pinstriped car I have seen seems to have rounded corners on all flush cuts, like it was painted on.

Wish you were closer, I would pay you to pinstripe my car!

Al
Hi Al,
I will get a better picture cause the areas at the crevices are not rounded, but the pic is crappy and may not show it. Optical illusion I suspect.

I highly encourage you to try the pinstriping on your car. Do one part at a time, do the door first, it is the straightest part and not hard to put the pin stripe on. If you really get into a jam, peal it off and start over or just blow it off all together. I remember being intimated by a body painter about "how hard" it is to do a good pinstripe, but I think he was talking about painting one on, which is hard and time consuming. With vinyl tape, it is pretty easy, durable and lasts a long time. I recall my neighbor showing me his pin stripe on his truck he did. I about fell over with all the waves in it. Guess he did not watch YouTube videos of how to do it. The key is to start at one point, pull (not stretch) the tape straight and lightly touch points along the path to get as smooth of a curve as possible. The more of a curve, the more touches you do to keep the tape moving in the curve.
Once it is as curved as possible, press it all down in place and do the rest of removing the clear cover. If you get a weird choppy area, pull it up and start over. The 3M tape is very durable and easy to work with. I used a single stripe on my Tow car and I was amazed at how easy it was to do. The old stripe had worn away, factory install I suspect so I just used some paint thinner to remove the old paint / tape and put a new one on in the same place. It was really easy and looked really nice.

FOLLOW UP: I took a better pic of my cuts of the pinstripe and realized I do not have a good eye for tiny cuts... :P

But this new pic shows the razor cut of the stripe at the door / fender junction opening. Hope this helps to show what the edges look like after cutting the stripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage 5_26_2012 004.jpg (2.13 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Garage 5_26_2012 005.jpg (2.76 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pinstripe edges.JPG (65.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by white lincoln; 12-21-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in