New head light housings tend to throw the beam down low ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

As everyone knows I got the sweet 97 recently .
We took it out storage to drive it for weekend
Today and being night time notice the headlight beam seems way off to me even on brights .
I know times have changed with newer vehicles giving off incredibly good lighting
....but these are off by a lot and I doubt its the lack of lumens causing this .
It's maybe 15- 20ft range out past front bumper if I could guess and very much a ground facing beam
It has the new aftermarket clears on it.
Guess I'm wondering if new housings tend to change the beam angle by design or can I adjust easily enough ... its pretty rough vision in my opinion for brand new clear lenses and theyre really clear they just aren't sending out eye level lighting.

If there's no actual lense tilt/ djustment what is the best bulb I get to solve this crap deal!! If more lumens actually gives distance...it's a beam distance issue more less

Last edited by 1991 5.0; 03-10-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

There are two tiny bolts behind each headlight that adjust the beam, one for vertical and one for horizontal . Sounds like they are pointed down too far. Not sure on the bolt size but I'd guess it's around 4mm or so.

I drove around my 96 tbird with them aimed way too low for a few months. They are aftermarkets so sometime in the past they were replaced and the body shop never adjusted them properly. Makes a big difference when they are aimed correctly! I parked in front of my garage on the level floor to get them even.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
There are two tiny bolts behind each headlight that adjust the beam, one for vertical and one for horizontal . Sounds like they are pointed down too far. Not sure on the bolt size but I'd guess it's around 4mm or so.

I drove around my 96 tbird with them aimed way too low for a few months. They are aftermarkets so sometime in the past they were replaced and the body shop never adjusted them properly. Makes a big difference when they are aimed correctly! I parked in front of my garage on the level floor to get them even.
Sweet to know ..
Yea the guy had a shop of course do eveyrhing to this car from a bulb to intake repair anything minor major or upgrade that it ever needed so assuming the new housings were just not adjusted due the ignorance of the mechanics... lol I'm just glad there is a adjustment tho.

I'll try the garage door trick!
But if I also shoot for brighter better bulbs to
Any recommendations? Silver stars maybe ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:49 PM
4th Gear Poster

Any high end bulb you get at a parts store or online will look a little nicer. They arn't really much brighter in reality though.

I won't talk about what I like to run, because its rather controversial subject it seems.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:56 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Upgrade your headlight wiring with relays and heavier gauge wire, makes an excellent difference with standard bulbs, and saves your switch/MFS the electrical loads run through them.

As for bulbs, read through this site before making any decisions. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...lbs/bulbs.html

-Matt
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
You can change bulbs but any flavor of halogen lamp (regardless of what fantastic superbright/superwhite/xenon whatever technology it flaunts) in stock housings will only yield marginal improvements. A projector HID retrofit might be worth looking into if you want more light on the road...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
You can change bulbs but any flavor of halogen lamp (regardless of what fantastic superbright/superwhite/xenon whatever technology it flaunts) in stock housings will only yield marginal improvements. Projector HID or LED retrofits might be worth looking into if you want more light on the road...

I don't have typical stock fogged up housings
I have crystal clear housings Very new not seen much road time.
The alignment is off and sure I'll be fine once it's aligned/adjusted but figured why not just throw in some better bulbs.
I'm pretty sure the last thing im interested in doing is investing a ton into major headlight/bulb modifications
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yes, properly aligning will give the best immediate results with little time investment. What I was trying to say in my other post wasn't directed at that though.

Fogged housings or no fogged housings, better bulbs in the stock housings will only do so much. The refraction pattern only throws so much light onto the road as a percentage of the output of the lamp. The rest is scattered left, right, and up. Let's not forget that a brighter bulb increases the intensity of those scattered rays, which directly translated to more light into the eyes of oncoming drivers. You or I being able to see better at the expense of everyone else seeing worse isn't exactly the best tradeoff in the interests of overall after-sunset safety.

Beyond a relay harness and properly aligned housings, if you want more light on the road, you need a brighter bulb and something to re-focus that energy properly. = Projectors.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 03-11-2018 at 08:11 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Yes, properly aligning will give the best immediate results with little time investment. What I was trying to say in my other post wasn't directed at that though.

Fogged housings or no fogged housings, better bulbs in the stock housings will only do so much. The refraction pattern only throws so much light onto the road as a percentage of the output of the lamp. The rest is scattered left, right, and up. Let's not forget that a brighter bulb increases the intensity of those scattered rays, which directly translated to more light into the eyes of oncoming drivers. You or I being able to see better at the expense of everyone else seeing worse isn't exactly the best tradeoff in the interests of overall after-sunset safety.

Beyond a relay harness and properly aligned housings, if you want more light on the road, you need a brighter bulb and something to re-focus that energy properly. = Projectors.
Very well ok turn me over to the multiple if not most simplex projector setup/mod links? Tutorial? if it's not too costly I'll take a dive into it.
I would like them to be better for sure .
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:

Can verify these are the two rods to adjust the head lamps the most outer rod closest to clear corner lamp gets turned counter clockwise and the rod near "Hood release" lower rod gets turned clockwise
I need to adjust them upward for a better eye level beam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180311_133100_1520789717622.jpg (1.13 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180311_133056_1520789729033.jpg (1.51 MB, 7 views)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Those adjusters probably use a 4 mm wrench. The adjusting mechanisms and the reflector linkages are made of very cheap and brittle plastic. It shouldn't be necessary to make more than minor adjustments by a few turns of the adjusters. It is very easy to break something. It might have already been broken by someone attempting to change a bulb. Take off the cover to the bulb connection. If the bulb/reflector easily flops around something is broken. This is common on 20 year old 9007 headlights.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 V8 Swap View Post
Those adjusters probably use a 4 mm wrench. The adjusting mechanisms and the reflector linkages are made of very cheap and brittle plastic. It shouldn't be necessary to make more than minor adjustments by a few turns of the adjusters. It is very easy to break something. It might have already been broken by someone attempting to change a bulb. Take off the cover to the bulb connection. If the bulb/reflector easily flops around something is broken. This is common on 20 year old 9007 headlights.
No they're ok the support housing them.black tabs twist into is good
I found out they didn't bother to lock in the head lamp on bottom tabs
6mm deep wheel twisted it half way and locked the housings in I see where and how it could be easily stripped

I turned them some gonna test it tonight .
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
IIRC the rule of thumb is to get the car on a level surface, and mark the level and centerline of the headlamps on a wall 20 feet away. Then aim the headlights a couple inches or so below that. What I usually do is pull the car up close to the garage door, flip on the lights and mark (with painter's tape) where the center of the beam is. Then I back up a car length or so and adjust the lamps as needed.

This was the projector headlights thread back in the day. http://forums.tccoa.com/15-exterior/...eadlights.html A lot to read but in short, if you can get the plastic lenses off it's a fairly easy installation using G1 projectors.

-Brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in