Paint help PLEASE - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Tim Groth Send a message via Yahoo to Tim Groth
Paint help PLEASE

Alright guys not to long ago I went to Earl Scheib to get a quick inexpensive paint job and well it looks pretty nice but the shine in scheib is about gone. I recently got hit so the new Euro paint really makes the scheib junk look bad. I mean my cars not an eye sore but I just want the luster on the entire car, not just the passenger side.

So I tried to wax it last night and nothing really changed (but I plan to try again today with other products) so I'm having questions pop up in my head but I'm not sure of the answers.

My car's a pearl so I know scheib probably used the 3 in 1 stuff instead of having to do it a layer at a time so I'm thinking if I take it to some place and have them put a coat of high gloss on it that it will make it look like the new paint? Is this possible if they wet sand it and spray it? Or would I just be better off to wait till I get some money and have it re-painted. I'm broke so that won't be for a while...

Any cheap suggustions are welcome.

thanks

Current Collection
1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto
1997 LX - Auto - Parts Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:25 PM

how are the earl schieb paint jobs, i was prob gonna get mine painted there. How is there work? How much did it run ya?

TOny
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Save up for a real paint job

1990 Red Thunderbird SC
SCCOWC Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tazer999
Save up for a real paint job
i couldnt have said it better myself. the only way you can get a "cheap" paint job is if you go across the border, and it stillwont be exactly "cheap" just slightly "cheaper" cause of the exchange rate. go to a small family owned place, they need reccomendations and stuff to stay alive so they do a damn well job, a lot better than any maaco or earl sheib will do. paint is one thing where you get what you pay for. you cheapotu, your paint will look good for one maybe two winters (no matter how well you take care of it), you spend wisely and have it done right ($$$) and you take care of it, it will last a lifetime. -greg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

here's my deal on the paint...

Well Earl Scheib did a nice job but I did most of the prep work, for I read on the old boards this was a wise thing to do if you ever go to them. So I sanded my car with 400 girt than 600 girt before I took it to them, and I should have removed my emblems for their taping job sucked. Anyways. I had them put on my factory color (which come to find out isn't true it's a bit darker) and when I picked it up it looked sweet. They had some really bad areas (3) so they fixed them and well it looked sweet... like I said before. This was in June...here it is September and well the paint job looks nice a but when you feel my paint it feels like painted cinderblock. Or rubbing your hand over fine grit sand paper...it's not nice at all. So in comparison to the new paint it sucks cus the new stuff is like Glass. Without touching my car tho it looks really nice...

Total cost for my paint job was $275 for the "top of the line" and $160 for the factory paint. I also had body work and pin striping done so it can to $550 when it was all said in done.

Now if you were getting ready to sell a car and it needed a quick job I would go to them in a heart beat but if you want something that you could enjoy for a life time...I don't know about that. My car looks nice but I'm a perfectionist and I want my car to be perfect.

Current Collection

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 02:51 PM

ok cool i guess ill just wait and get it done the right way...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

More details on the paint...

I went to my local tech center today and the autobody guy said it could be wet sanded and have a base clear put on it and make it look like the new stuff. He says it looks like Earl Scheib used one of them 3 in 1 deal and the new stuff is individual layers with a base clear coat, so that's making it shine more than the new stuff.

I'd still avoid them

Current Collection

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 AM

when u sanded it before u took it did u wet sand or dry sand and did u sand by hand or by a machine...i am gunna do the same...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Veteran Poster

heres the deal with single stage paints. if its metallic, you cannot lightly sand it and just clear it. Well you can, its just gonna look real crappy because the sandpaper scratches the flakes, gets all blotchy and streaky. if it was a solid color, you could do it just fine.

Now I'd like to think that they might of used a bc/cc system. its real easy to make the cheap clear rough, dull and cloudy. especially on a full dip. to check, take a piece of sandpaper and sand a teeny tiny spot. just a lil bit. if its white, its clearcoat. if its colored, its singlestage. doesnt work on white cars though.

if its clear, you can wetsand/buff it to any gloss you want.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in