Lost Lug Nut Key - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Lost Lug Nut Key

Suppose that a guy misplaced the locking lugnut key (socket) for the Ford Factory locking lug nut... does anyone have any slick ways to get that POS off the lug? Or is there a cheap place to get a replacement besides the salvage yard? Not all the keys are the same for each car, tried that already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:41 PM

there are a couple ways of getting a locking lug off without a key. one includes forcing a socket over the keyed lug with a decent size hammer and some elbow grease. i used a chizzel bit on an air hammer to get mine off when i backed a lug out. you could also weld a 4 way onto it with a welder.

not sure about finding keys though
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Danimal
welding is the best way that I have found, unless the rims have exposed lugnuts that are recessed...tried that on a jeep. We ended up having to drill the actual lug. We went through 3 really nice drill bits, then when we had the lugnut thin enough we got about 4 guys and pulled on the rim untill it snapped the lug.

Loosing key's sucks! Goodluck!

-danimal

Webmaster of www.danimalrocks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Well I gave up for the night, I've looked everywhere. I can only imagine it is packed away with the stuff I packed up in my garage in anticipation of selling the house. That's going to wait till Spring I think, but I really don't want to unpack all that stuff for this key... and then it not even be there. I did find that I had already bought the rear '98 Cobra hubs for my SN95 hub conversion, didnt realize I had them already... that's a plus.

Well, I might just have one of the guys at work wheel the welder out and we'll weld something to the nut and turn it off... it will be ok with 4 lugnuts for now since I'm converting to SN95 and I'll be putting on the new wheels and tires soon, soon as I figure out what I'm gonna buy. I'll just nab four lugnuts from the salvage yard when I go get my deck lid on Friday.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

what are you doing about the rear rotors on the SN95 bolt pattern? Are ya re-drilling or making a new knuckle bracket?

-Danimal

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I havent decided yet, but there was an excellent post on here about the options. www.discbrakesrus.com sells a conversion kit to convert the GT Mustang to Cobra brakes, I'm thinking that would work just fine for the rears on our cars as well.

So, my thoughts are, I'll convert my drums to discs, and buy the Cobra caliper and conversion braket from discbrakesrus.com and then probably buy cross drilled rotors from KVR since discbrakesrus.com only sells slotted and drilled rotors.

Did you have any suggestions, I'm open to input.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

J-Rob the socket idea worked great, 7/8" socket went over it with minimal effort and that pulled all four right off.. course number four went deep into the socket, and now I think the cheapy socket might be a paperweight.

Thanks go you too DAnimal for your input, I didnt have a welder or else that's the route I would have taken.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

glad it all worked out...i hate when that kinda stuff happens

-danimal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in