Rocker Panels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Rocker Panels

Like many others, my rocker panels have rusted out right under my door only a small amount but is more than likely to finish them off if i dont do somthing about it.

does anyone know where i can get replacement ones...... any for sale???? can i get them from the dealership??? does anyone have any for sale?????

please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Mine rusted out too. I'm gonna see if my bro's friend's dad can fix them cheap. He did my bro's paint for $300, and he's a pro at it, painted flames into his son's paint. Well, he did all the paint, and molded the sideskirts, fenders and rear bumper all together and then painted it.
You could get some flashing(?), sheet metal you use for repairing holes, and bondo it so it's smooth, paint it or get it painted. Shouldn't cost too much if it's a normal color they might have on hand, or get some paint ordered at O'Reilley's or somewhere.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 12:27 PM

i had a shop repair mine when the car was keyed last year

heres a before/after

total cost with painting gfx and rockers was $800 along with $1500 of vandalism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 05:05 PM

I bought a set from JCWhitney. They are good, but it took forever to get them.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
So are those JCWhitney pannels good? I couldn't find them this time. Are they plastic, or metal? and should I cut the rusty part out? Can you/do you paint them?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 06:39 PM

they may be oem most likely, HOWEVER, unless you know how to weld, you're in for an *** reaming, $450 per side labor to put them in and that doesnt include the rocker, or the painting.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 09:56 PM

There is a catch to all this. If you have a set of rockers that are rotted, chances are that most of the undercarraige has a fair amount of cancer on it. You will most likely need to rig up a set of brackets to weld or rivet them to. The JCWhitney ones are fine, but if you are looking for superior quality and you dont mind plunking down the cash, OEM ones from Ford are the best answer. All said and down, this is usually close to 300 bucks a side, not including painting and finishing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

So, bondo and flashing cost under $50? Hmm, I think I'll go with that. I do want to get a body kit, so when I get that, it won't matter what my rocker panels look like, just that it doesn't rust through. It doesn't look bad underneath, just dirty. I wonder if I could spray with undercoating if that'd be good, or I heard a lot of cheap paint works, 99 cents a can at Wal-Mart, that's what my friends did on their "muddin' trucks".
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

The JC whitney are they good???? how much did you lay down for them??
i checked with the dealership, Ford does not make them any more for 89-96 any more ideas please let me know
thanks again

Chris
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

OK, i just checked out the JC whitney website they have the replacement ones for the chicken....but it says they go over top of the old one and there is no need for welding or anything..... that doesnt sound too good..... what if the water gets between those peices and rusts out the new ones????? can i just cut out the old one anyway and weld in the new one???
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:13 PM

Did this ever go anywere?

I also own a 92 5.0 bird and would like to know if you ever found out about the JC whitney rockers and if you can cut out the old one and weld in the new ones. Also im looking for a way to do the repair as cheep as i can without jeperdising quality and strangth in the rocker after the repair. In my case the rockers are the only rust on the car due to the bad aftermarket sunroof install. The drain tubes go in to the rocker and the water sat in their. Thus the rotted pannel. but there is no rust under the car, well for a 92 it was no rust if you know what i meen. Any info would be more then great.

p.s. I would be doing the paint and welding myself and i really dont care to much about cosmetic since im covering it with SC skirts. All i care about is strength in the rocker and rust proofing it so it will not happen again or at least soon.

thanks
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Old ones should just easily come out with a cutting wheel. Make sure the rust is cleared, then weld the new one on (which shouldn't be too expensive, hopefully) and then prime nad paint. Otherwise just cut out the rust (if possible) and weld in some sheet metal. It's covered, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, just that it doesn't spread. But it should just be easy to weld some sheet metal in. And cheap. You just want to make sure there's something to attatch the sideskirts to.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 03:58 PM

Thats what i was thinking, why not weld in a piece of sheet metal. Think it should be thicker then the factory steel? I was thinking of even welding in some kinda rod or beam of some kind for added strength. If im going to do all this work i would like to make it even stronger then factory. What do you think? Im open to any and all ideas.

Gabriel Caamano
tbird50sport

P.S.
Thanks for the reply.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

hmm i didnt think they were obsolete, but i ll check tommarow , i knew the s/c ones were,

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Any word on those rockers jk89cat ?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

doh! i got busy today and forgot , ill check for sure tomamrow, justin

69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
mn12 less!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

ok, heres the deal, the early are replaced by the later, 97 pn, non s/c rh f7sz6310120ab msrp 227.92 lh f7sz6310121ab , msrp 231.98 . in stock in detroit parts depot

mn12 less!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in