Question for anyone with shaved door handles.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ASSASYN Send a message via Yahoo to ASSASYN
Question for anyone with shaved door handles..

how much did you pay for door popper install , and what brand or setup did you go with??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:21 PM

hey i was....

just lookign at a summit racing magazine the other day and they had that in the electronics section. dont know about the install price but i do know that the poppers themselves were close to $25 each or $25 a set. dont know what it was. look at eh site summit racing

Last edited by 96TBird; 09-25-2002 at 10:52 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:04 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ASSASYN Send a message via Yahoo to ASSASYN
summit doesn't have a 50lb solenoid which is recommended for a daily driver and especially for our big a$$ doors. Also the hardware is usually pretty cheap its the installation thats alot. Also barely anybody has a full kit because I am guessing the don't wanna carry autoloc cuz there isn't a high enough mark up so everbody I have found has SPAL poppers.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear Poster

What are door poppers and how do they work I hate my plastic door handles.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 12:50 AM

Cool Poppers

electronic actuators that pop the door open once u push the button or activate them. Sometimes used for stubborn doors but mostly shaved handles. Autoloc or spal are good to go w/. i plan to do all that some time soon too. but i might get a good deal on the stuff for mine since i can install it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:05 AM

yea, get a reputable brand with a high torque pulling power. I had some cheapo no name brand soleniods on another car and they eventually burned up on me. (I got them with the car.)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:41 PM

does anyone have any pics of these... i am intrested in seeing them.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
there's really no pics to show.. it's just electronics and hardware that gets wired into the door to unlock and open it an inch or so.

Jersey Rice
NJ Thunderbird & Cougar Club
Sold '96 Thunderbird LX 3.8l :: Cardomain Page
'93 Thunderbird SC 3.8l - 12 second car. 14 second driver.
'05 Toyota X-Runner
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Hey thanks LizGyrl I like these door poppers they sound great. Its always nice to see girls interested in cars you dont see to much of that in the south.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 07:14 AM

what do the shave handles look like then? Is there no handle there? and what does the dip look like?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
it's flush.. like a solid door.. there's no visible handle cuz there isn't one

Jersey Rice
NJ Thunderbird & Cougar Club
Sold '96 Thunderbird LX 3.8l :: Cardomain Page
'93 Thunderbird SC 3.8l - 12 second car. 14 second driver.
'05 Toyota X-Runner
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 09:04 PM

more

There are no signs of a handle b/c u have a plate welded on. In place of a handle u use a button, maybe hidden in the fender or the accessory button on an alarm. All a popper does is pull on the cord or metal bar as if the handle were being pulled. Only problem is if ur battery ever dies ur sorta screwed.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:42 PM
TCCoA Founder

Liz, what I plan to do to remedy that is to put two posts accessible in the trunk that lead directly to the solenoids (poppers). This way if the battery does die, I can open the trunk (I'll keep the keyed latch), zap the two posts with some jumper cables and open the door(s).

Gotta have a failsafe of some sort ya know.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 11:53 PM

If the car has a hidden button in the fender I assume it wouldn't be a daily driver. Theres no way I would take a chance on that On the car that I had shaved handles, it had a cable that tapped on to the hood latch and ran to a hidden area so you could pop the hood if the battery went dead. and yea it was a show car only.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to slayer
So I dragged this outta no where, but doesn anyone have a complete list of the stuff you would need to do the door poppers?

Sam
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 02:27 PM
drag-aholic

there are some pics of my install here http://www.baggedbirds.com/shaved%20doors.htm if you already have an alarm with extra channels you really only need the solenoid kit. Autoploc sells the indivually as trunk release kits. i have the 35lbs pull units and they work fine. there is no popper to push the door out. it didn't need it

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:07 PM
PostWhore

I always keep my window down a little bit just in case.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:35 PM

www.autoloc.com has all the parts needed to do the job. Also they have other unique parts including seat warmers etc for cars.

check out the site and see what you think. this for info purposes only.

also here is a keypad keyless entry the aftermarket industry.

I have a setup in progress that I key the code and the door pops open. I also have it set that it will auomatically lock the doors.

I have a failsafe back up as well like like Bill where I am keeping my trunk lock.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I actually installed these last weekend - it was a bit of a pain, but I'm happy with the results - I got the autoloc pushbutton kits, ran about $60 for a pair, I think, and I wired them into my car alarm - like the other guy said, if the battery dies, you're kinda stuck, so what I did is move my battery to the trunk, and mount the hardware directly to the battery box (which is strapped in place.) I used the 15 lb solenoids, and they DO work if you get them set up in place just right - if I did it again, I would use heavier solenoids as they're less particular about mounting location. The only thing that I needed that wasn't in the box was a U shaped bracket that attached the cable to the handle pull, $.49 at the hardware store. A lot of kits on ebay and in magazines are cheaper, but they use 7 lb solenoids, which would PROBABLY work if you could hook them directly to the latch mechanism (which I couldn't do for the life of me) so I attached the cable to the control lever on the inside door handle, so not only does it open the door, it unlocks it too. Then I used a relay and wired it to the car alarm, so that whenever I disarm my car alarm, it unlocks the door and pops the driver door open.

If the transmitter dies, then I have the button mounted to the battery box in the trunk, and if the battery dies, then I have the battery ITSELF in the trunk, so I can just pop the trunk with a key and use jumper cables to supply power to pop the doors.

Now, does anyone know where that trunk relay is?
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Crystal Send a message via MSN to Crystal Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal
Here's a link to the kit I used on my bird http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm00031.htm

It was an easy install and it works every time. I kept the trunk lock and put the manual popper and main unit with the fuses in the trunk. I attached a spare positive cable to the battery, capped it off and attached it to the inner fender (can't be seen dangling). I have pics from my install but don't think it'll help too much on an MN12 job (some will, some won't)

And the end product:

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Looks really sharp! What did you do to fill the holes in where the door handles were?

Joshua Cooper

1997 Black T-Bird LX 3.8, custom painted interior, hand stitched vinyl backseat, oversized K&N cone filter, air silencer removed, painted some engine components, door solenoids for shaved door handles, Black Widow security system, wired to open Driver's door when disarmed, Dynomax 2.5" exhaust, battery box moved to trunk, custom grill inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in