lowering idea - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

lowering idea

I have no idea if this would work, I could be just making a fool of myself, but I wanted everyones opinion. Do yall think I could just take my springs off and cut them to lower my car. I would have to figure out the details of it like how much to cut and whatnot , but does anyone think this would work or am I just having a pipedream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 12:36 AM
One And Only!

Send a message via AIM to PHATBRD
it works just ask JOEL lol
he and his thunderchicken LOL
i woudn't recomend it

WWW.PHATBRD.COM
1994 Ford Thunderbird
One-Of-A-Kind
Custom Painted Vortech Supercharged Cobra Engine
Slammed On Staggered 20's With Way To Many Mods To LIST

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

why wouldnt you recomend it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 04:23 AM
4th Gear Poster

Because you might end up with wheels, that instead of looking like this:

l l

They could come out like this:

/ \

and that doesn't look cool.

Bird-less
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 05:32 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
Just buy the spring dude.

H&Rs lower about 2 inches, youll need back spring insulators.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:09 AM

Where can you get H&R's
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

www.shox.com

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 10:42 AM

thanks
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

yo thanks About2beBad that would really suck if that happened Ill definately go to shox.com Im glad I didnt have to learn that from experience, thats why I posted this. Thanks again!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Marvin M. do you have H&Rs, if you do, do you like them, why do you suggest this particular brand?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 03:45 AM
4th Gear Poster

Personally I would not recommend a 2" drop. It's too much stress on your shocks.

I like the look, ride, and fell of the Eibach Pro Kit which lowers approx. 1.5". I have no experience with the H&R so I can't comment on their performance.

12.28 @ 114mph
400RWHP~375RWTQ
Twin Screwed 95SC
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 05:29 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
well i have my H&R's....

ready to be installed, i have a friend alex you guys can check out our website he goes by ultimatesvt, its the red svt bird, and he has the H&R's and the car rides really good and looks really good, so thats why i chose this brand.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 09:22 AM

Alright Phatbird, I did cut my springs, but my wheels did not go like / \ !! not that bad. but I wouldn't take more the 1.5 coils off the front and 1 coil from the rear on a sport spring, or 2 coils in the front and 1.25 in the rear on stock lx coils. No clue on stock v6 springs though. :p :p
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:11 AM
One And Only!

Send a message via AIM to PHATBRD
hey now i din;t say anythin about ur wheels
it was about2beBAD guy that said it
lol
anyways ur car looks good so who cares

WWW.PHATBRD.COM
1994 Ford Thunderbird
One-Of-A-Kind
Custom Painted Vortech Supercharged Cobra Engine
Slammed On Staggered 20's With Way To Many Mods To LIST

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 01:26 PM

I got the H&R's on my car...

I have a 96 3.8L though.....I love them!!. I didn't need the rear insulator however, because my car only had 25,000 miles on it so they weren't dry rotted or anything like that. They're stiff when you want them to be (around corners) and soft at regular driving. The 18"s with 40 series rubber is what makes my ride stiff and uncomfortable!!! But hey it looks good!
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 06:42 PM

You definitely need to cut more coils for the v6 for a low ride..I should know, that's what I did...Will get the pics up when I develop the film...

Wes

But it's up to you if you wanna do it...Handling does suffer
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 12:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

I was running Intraxx springs for a while, there the 2 inch all the way around. But mine came out 1.5 in the front and 2-2.5 in the rear so after a while i "cut"stomized my stock spring so it would give it a cleaner, even appearance.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer
I was running Intraxx springs for a while, there the 2 inch all the way around. But mine came out 1.5 in the front and 2-2.5 in the rear so after a while i "cut"stomized my stock spring so it would give it a cleaner, even appearance.

http://members.tccoa.com/castrol/tbird/DSCF0041a.jpg

http://members.tccoa.com/castrol/tbird/DSCF0043a.jpg
What size tires with that set up? Very nice.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:52 PM
5th Gear Poster

Thanks Soop

I'm running Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
275/40 in the back
245/45 in the front
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer
Thanks Soop

I'm running Kumho Ecsta Supra 712
275/40 in the back
245/45 in the front
16s or 17s? I can't tell.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 12:46 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
16s or 17s? I can't tell.
Those would be 17x9 all the way around
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:59 PM

blah blah blah

all i hear is trash talking about how bad it is to lower your car but cutting or heating springs, its no different than using a set of springs except for the fact that you can lower it more than 2", mine is a 3.8 1995 xr7, i cut off 1.5 coils in the front and 3 in the rear, it was a bit too much in the rear but i had already planned on getting the helper bags and it evened out the car......the wheels do tilt a bit, but all you have to do is take it to a shop and tell them to align it to the best of their ability, it's not that much of a difference.......the ride doesnt change much either unless you drop it more than 3 inches all around, my car rides the same....but when i let the air out of my bags it bounces around like a ping pong ball.........simple as that buddy......you can either choose to pay 200$ for a set of new springs, or less if you find a used set, or pay 20 bucks for some spring compressors and a steel wheel cutter......i did mine in about 7 hours total time.......just watch out in the rear end......springs like to pop out.....i almost broke 2 of my fingers
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 01:26 AM

spring cutting

everyone has an opinion, but it's real simple if you just stop and think for a second, if you have x number of coils on a spring rating at y pounds per square inch, and you cut say 1 1/4 coils out, then your car is lower but your left with an increased spring rate because now your coils have less area to travel for spring compression thus increasing your spring rate. You do however, loose some of your progressive spring rate, depending upon the number of coils you cut, but any bouncy bouncy as i see some call it, are only caused by your shocks/struts. And your negative camber would still be the same rather you cut your springs for 2 inch drop or used "profesional" lowering springs. (/ \), 30 bucks to have them realigned takes care of most of that.

So with all my choices and situation for me personally, I'm cutting my springs, hopefully this weekend if I get the right response I need. (hint hint )

I want a 2 inch drop in front, and 1 1/2 in rear (rear sags now due to trunk wieght) I need to know exactly how much coil to cut for that desired look. Someone whos done it, if you dont know exact, then say you cut 1 1/2 coil and got a 2 inch drop, then it's not difficult to guess that 1 1/4 coil cut would give a 1 3/4 drop. it's on a 94 sc. 3.8

I'm not a carpenter and havnt lowered before, but I can grasp concepts. I've been told that all I have to do is jack the front, rent or buy some spring clamps, cut the desired amount of coil off the bottom (angle grinder with correct blade and friend squirting water to limit heat tranfer), rotate spring to align cut with perch,drop her back down and your done. its not that easy is it, just pop off a tire and begin cutting???? I need step by step instructions if you can gents. I appreciate it. hell, I'll even create a digital slideshow so you guys dont have to keep answering this for everyone.

thanks alot guys.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 01:33 AM

well i dont have my cougar anymore but i'd be glad to help any way i can....

my cougar sat only about 3" all around, at first i cut too much on the rear so i had to get the air ride helper bags to even it out, you dont want yours this low unless you plan on adding air suspension, you'll drag all over........

after you cut a certain amount of coils off on the front there is no need for the spring compressors

best bet is to cut off 2 or 3 FULL coils on the front, put the springs back in and check for height, yes its time consuming but if you want it done right its worth it....
when i say FULL coils, i mean that when you cut the spring you must cut directly below the original cut.....

TIP: Put marks on your spring and on the top mount and line them back up when you put the spring / shock back together, if you don't it'll never fit back like it should.

in the rear you should cut off maybe 1.5 coils since you say yours is already sagging, but do just 1 first, and if its not enough keep cutting but dont overdo it, you'll be pissed when you find out its too much
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 02:05 AM

the sc has a different compression rate, cause i've heard people say they cut off 1 full coil and got about 1 1/2 drop, most are in that same similiar rate, I'm thinking about he cutting idea because the limited info I have on the actual act is limited, i've read on other cars, not fords, that they just jack and pull the tire off and cut in place, no disassembling hte suspension, thats why I'm going for cutting. So what I really need is an SCer whos cut thiers to tell me precicely howmuch to cut and weather I can do it without dissasembling my whole suspension, cant I just cut in place if I throw on the spring compressors. ???

thanks for the help xr
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 02:27 AM

if you're wanting to lower your car without taking apart the suspension you should probably heat up the springs, put some weight on it and when its at the height you want let the spring cool down and it should be set to that height

there is no possible way to lower by cutting without taking apart the front and rear suspension....

on the front you have to disconnect the balljoint, disconnect the upper and lower of the shock/strut, use a spring compressor to loosen the tension put on the springs then take off the nut that holds the shock/strut to the spring

on the rear you have to disconnect the lower shockmount from the control arm, then you have to put your feet on the control arm and push as hard as you can, eventually the spring will pop out, but if you dont watch out the spring will pop out right at you...keep your fingers away, i almost broke 2 of mine when it decided to snap out
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 02:53 AM

thanks xr, I'm assuming the mn12 has all the same suspensions, I know on other makes, you can just jack the car at your arm, which will lift and compress the spring, throw some spring clamps on, lower your jack onto your jackstands, and you can actually move the spring up and down a bit, theres no tension on them and there free floating, just cut the bottom, rotate notch back into perch, throw wheel back on, and undo compressors, and unjack your car. done. that cant be done on the birds??? the entire system has to be taken apart, something locking the springs.....
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 03:25 AM

ive actually never thought of that.....but just sitting here thinking.....the only way i would think you could do that is to fully compress the shock so that it hits the bumpstops, if you dont do that there will always be pressure on the springs, try it and let me know how it goes, im really not positive if it'll work or not
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 03:48 AM

thats how i've seen it done on other rides, imports I mean. I'm not worried about he pressure of the shock, once the spring has be held at the compression of the jack and clamped, then you can safely cut the bottom and she wont bind on you, I dont know what our perch looks like, if I have to matchcut the same angle or what, I would assume a flat level cut to lay tight on the perch. Thats how i've heard it being done simply, it's about a 2 hour job if your familiar with it, 4 for the average joe. but like i said, i havnt really looked at ours yet, i've glanced behind the front and at a glance it looked possible, but I have no idea what i'm dealing with in the rear, do I have enough room to reach up there and be able to put clamps on once the tires off (havnt seen back there yet), too much snow up here, but i've got to start on her now cause a baby is due soon and theres goes alot of my freetime settin her up for spring ya know. thanks rx

Last edited by lostsoul74; 01-17-2003 at 03:56 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 03:54 AM

you do have to do a little extra cutting though, the coil left after cutting is going to then have to be cut in half in order to get it off. but I'd rather do that then tear my whole suspension apart, if I was going for a project like that, then hell, i'd find the extra 2hundred for some springs. but I figure if this is as quick as i've seen done, then this will suit me for now, if I dont like it and decide to change later, all I wasted was a few hours, and at least she has a sleek look till I can afford more springs.

check out my other posts for great sites on cheap springs, have you heard of the dropzones for 101 bucks. 1 1/2 drop. cant beat that, dropzones pretty big for the imports. gotta be better then stock, and lower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in