Flashing headlights. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Flashing headlights.

My headlights flash. They flash for no reason, both of them, so it's not a problem with just headlight bulbs. It's like they turn on and off. Even when my stereo is off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

it's your multi-function switch, it has the turn signals on it, etc.

I recomend a competition limited harness. it will work with the stock wiring, but you will not, EVER fry your MFS again. Plus you can run much better bulbs without worry. you may or may not have to buy a new MFS, depends how badly your current one got damaged.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Thanks man. How much would that cost, and where can I get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:02 PM

Mine flicker also, and due to some extreme cases, I have found a way to safely get home without having to sleep where you are until day (if you are caught out at night). If you take your regular light bulbs, cut the leader line of plastic inside on the bottom of the connector, place it in the High Beams position, electrical tape them in so they do not fall out, pull the MFS back towards you, your lights will not flicker. But you have to keep holding it or else they will flicker. I plan on fixing my lights this week after I clean up my power windw motor gears, put in a new relay for my e-fan. Blah blah blah, it never ends with these cars.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 02:25 PM

my headlight flash too.
i bought a new battery and it kind of helped a little bit.
do you think some thing might be wrong with my alternator?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 06:49 PM

I have had the same problem in the past with my 93, it will only do it with the fog lights on. which caused the mfs to overheat causing headlights to flicker, also I noticed if you have an aftermarket headlight switch, that they cant handle the power of aftermarket hi power headlights,and cause the same problem. but since I put a factory piece back in and wired the foglights with a seperate relay and its own power source I havent had a problem...
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:36 PM

I do not have foglights. I am going to see if I can get a replacement MFS switch this week from the scrap yard.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:27 PM

what is the mfs?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:37 PM

How do you get the foglights to come on? I see them down there, but have never been able to get them to turn on!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 09:10 PM

MFS = Multi-fuction switch
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Where can I get a m.f.s. that won't mess up soon? I have driving lights currently hooked up to my headlights, to come on at same time. I also have 80/100 wt blue headlights from Matrix. I'm gonna get some white driving lights from Wal-Mart, they have a remote to them, so I won't even have a switch to mess with.

www.cardomain.com/id/93cougarxr7se
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:42 PM

where is the mfs located??
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm pretty sure it's the thing on the steering wheel.

I was wondering, how could it wear out? I was thinking, if it was a relay, how could it make the headlights go on and off? The idea of a headlight switch being bad is a good idea, since it's happened since I took off my dash, but I also got some bright headlights and figured it might have a short or something. It did start happening a couple days after removing my dash, I remember driving with a girl, had to replace dash for the time being, and was driving down the road. The lights went off, and she saw it too. They just went of and on a couple times, but it was easy to notice since I was driving down a poorly lit road, and it was in front of a hot girl, so I was kinda embarassed, like when my a/c didn't work on a hot day when I was on a date.

So, my thesis is: it might be the headlight switch. If anyone has an idea on how to fix this, or whether this could be true, hit me back.

Last edited by ben_cline; 03-17-2006 at 12:56 AM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Also, tonight, my dash lights were off when I had the headlights on, and when I had it in the middle, position between the headlights and parking lights, they would come on, but that's the only line. I think it could be the switch.

I need some one to reply soon.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 06:32 AM

I believe it is the switch, also. I've been to busy to go about getting a replacement the past two weeks, so it is coming up pretty soon.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:41 AM

On my 93, I had that problem with the headlights flickering on and off when I was using the foglights. Just to let you all know, that's a problem thats covered by a recall. I went to the ford dealership and they fixed it for free... took about 45 minutes
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:48 PM

Yes, I went to two different Ford dealerships and they told me I didn't fall under the recall.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:02 PM

what years did they do the recall??

what was the thing that they replaced or fixed?
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:24 PM

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Mine wasn't recalled, but I got a fuel line, or something, recall fixed though. I took off my foglights from being hooked up to the headlights, and got some white remote headlights that look tight, and they don't flash anymore. The headlight/pk.lights don't come on though, I have to set the switch in the middle to get them on. Any ideas? Bad switch? It's not the mfs, is it?
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 06:08 PM

My car has the same problem too. I replaced the MFS sometime ago but the problem continues (anyway, it was too burned).

According with the recall article, if I get an original Motorcraft headlight switch from a Ford dealer, my problem is gonna end? This switch is supposed to be redesigned.

I don't think dealers apply recalls down here, so...

I'm planning to replace the headlight switch and rewire the fog lamps with an independent swith for them, just like pa87lx did.

I'll appreciate an answer from anyone. I believe this is a strong safety issue and I drive a lot on highway.

Thanks!!!!!
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 08:18 PM

I am selling a MFS. I thought mine went, so I went down to ford and bought one. took the dash apart, and found a loose connection. I serured the connection, and haven't had a problem since. So now ford won't take the switch back because "I might have installed it".

Not sure if it will work on a 89-93, positive it will on a 94-97. selling for $30 shipped. if it doesn't work on your 89-93, will buy back for $30.

96 Alpine Green V8

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 08:40 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slippy103 Send a message via Yahoo to Slippy103
I pulled out a 5 foot long clump of melted rubber and metal out from the driver's side where my lighting harness used to be, had to replace mfs and headlight switch all because i got different headlights. What a &*^%$# mess!!!

1996 Thunderbird LX: Current Project

1975 Corvette Stingray: 350 V8, TH350

2004 Dodge Dakota
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:25 AM

could some one post a pic of a the msf , cuz i have no idea what to look for!?!?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slippy103
I pulled out a 5 foot long clump of melted rubber and metal out from the driver's side where my lighting harness used to be, had to replace mfs and headlight switch all because i got different headlights. What a &*^%$# mess!!!
Buy a harness from Competition Limited. $60 to you door, and you can run 150w with 100w bulbs safely. Also brights turns on all four bulbs

Quote:
Originally posted by blyss
could some one post a pic of a the msf , cuz i have no idea what to look for!?!?
grab your turn signal. you found it.

96 Alpine Green V8

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't think it's the mfs for me. I think it's just the headlight switch, cuz I have to have it between the parking and headlight position to have anything come on. They both won't work at the same time either, cuz it's on for a while, and then turns off cuz the switch moves back since it's not meant to be in that spot. I'll figure something out.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 06:41 PM

I'm probably a johnny come lately on this but if this will help you, go to http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.o...htsFlicker.htm and maybe the diagram will help you see the flow of current through the switches. Sorry I didn't get here sooner and it may not help anyway but here it is.

Good luck on your problem. Have a great weekend.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Maybe I ought to delete the switch and just get some switches and wire them through there. Just battery to switch to lights, with a fuse, of course. Of course, now headlights aren't working at all. With light switch on, the bright light is on.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 08:00 PM
4th Gear Poster

i belive the recall was only for cars with fog lights...the recall number is 99s30. call ford and find out

The Collection:
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe; 1989 Thunderbird SC; 1993 Thunderbird SC; 1993 Thunderbird LX 5.0; 1994 Thunderbird SC 5spd; 1995 Cougar XR7 4.6; 1995 Thunderbird 4.6; 1996 Cougar XR7 3.8
The Search begins;
1990 35th Anniversary SC very low miles, auto, loaded
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII Collectors Edition
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So, where can I get a wiring harness only for a 93 Cougar. The one on scp is with the bulbs as well, and I don't need them, plus I'd rather not pay $139 for them.

Is the one from Competition limited with 4 bulbs? And where's the site?

Otherwise, is there a way to just run some wires to the bulbs and not buy a harness?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in