Tire Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Tire Question

Post your Opinions!!
On: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Anyone ever use these tires? Know someone who has? Well I'd like to know, because I do believe these will be my next set of tires.

See Tires Here

Thanks
Kenneth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 12:11 AM

I bought the Michelin Pilot XGT V 225/60-15s. The Sports seem to be more for dry use.
The difference in pricing would seem to be from sizing.

I've had Pilots on the bird for the 3.5 years that I've had it, so it's difficult to compare to other brands. These were new this spring. I have been more than happy with them. I have noticed quite a bit of squeal on hard turns. That's not an issue for me as long as they maintain grip, which they always have. There is a lot of rain here in the Vancouver area, and they handle great in the wet.

I do 4.5 hour trips every second weekend, running up to speeds of 90 mph and the ride is sweet. Very solid and smooth.

The wear has been good, but then again, I am not heavy into hard driving and couldn't do a burn-out with the bird if I wanted to. At any rate, the rated life of the tire is not high.

I have a 3.8L na in the 92 with 3.27 trac-Loc. It runs well, no delay from a stop. The tires are a half inch shorter than stock, which makes the effective gear ratio 3.42. That said, I can usually get a chirp out of the tires.

I got the Michelins because I do a lot of highway speed with many curves. I like them and would buy again.

Don't know if this helps. I would expect the performance of the tires to be very similar.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Fantastic. Thanks soop.

Kenneth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 12:31 AM

One more thing...they look great.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 01:30 AM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

I got em on my GTP

I had to put new tires on my GTP and I put these on it. So far, they have been pretty good, but they only have 10,000 kms (6200 miles approx.) on them so far.

The car handles better with these on it as compared to the Goodyear Eagle LS's that were on the car originally. When the first rotation was done, the tread on all four were within 1/32 of each other, which is currently better than my Tbird with Pilot XGT H4's after 10,000 kms.

These tires do give off a little more road noise on rough roads compared to the Goodyears. I can't comment on winter driving with these tires yet.

These are the only things that I can think of right now about these tires.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 01:40 AM

TGJ, do you drive with these in your Sask winters? I know they are designated "all season", but having lived in Sask for 5 years and experienced those winters, I'd think that was a scarey proposition.

I have Yokohama ice radials for winter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:20 AM
TGJ

Which car are you asking about?

The Grand Prix will be running the AS's in the snow, the Tbird has 4 Artic Alpins for its snow shoes. I am not a Michelin person, although it looks like it with 3 sets of their tires. I got real good deals on the Tbird's tires. I was disapointed with the life of the Goodyear's that were on the GTP, 42,000 kms so I wasn't going to go back to a Goodyear tire.

When I bought the AS's, I was under the impression that they were the going to be a very good allseason tire. The GTP has been great in the winter with the Eagle LS's and so far it's new tires have performed better in wet conditions.

I agree that rain and wet conditions is alot different than snow and ice. I am going to try the GTP in the winter with the tires it currently has and go from there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:01 PM
TGJ

Regina got freezing rain and snow now...

I got a chance to test the AS's today in the freezing rain and snow and wow.... My parents house got broken in to last night approx. 4:45, nobody was home and I am the closest to it so I got a chance to try out the AS's. Because of the freezing rain and snow, I took the GTP out to my parents place to talk to the police and shut off the alarm. The bird still had it's summer tires on it.

So I was on the highway this morning around 5:00 am, and the highway was empty. I figured the GTP was handling good, I will test these tires out. I buried the needle and tested the car's handling out. I am very impressed with these tires. The car hardly recognized the ice, I felt very confident with it at high speeds.

Now that I am back home, I just finished putting the Bird's snow shoes on her.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Right on man...thats good to hear

Well..not that your folks house got broken into...
but that the tires held up like they should have

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in