what's the scoop on hoods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

what's the scoop on hoods

i am looking into getting a fiberglass hood but have heard and read about stuff not fitting and crappy workmanship. originally i was thinking of getting a 96 hood for my 94 but i believe it wouldn't look right without swapping the headlights to the newer style. i read some where that that would be all that would need to be swapped but i think that the bumber and the crap behind it and the other stuff that also holds the lights would need to be swapped as well.

i guess it would have to be the cobra r hood, but the straight edged one would be ok. i am not interested in anything with slots and scoops and ducts although i heard cervanis is good.

so as far as the hoods go, i read alot of bad stuff about legendary - i guess that is
why they are no longer in the most wanted parts section.

for Motion Performance - But I think I recall reading one bad things and one good thing about theirs, however i could not find any pictures, their description is "cowl" and not "cobra cowl" so i would think that is the straight edged one.

for Age Classic i didn't really read anything bad, people were generally satified although one person said it was a bit rough and required some work to fit but they seem like nice people.

american sports car hood i read about 3 good endorsements but there was a problem with some alignment jigs

www.mpmotorsports.net - not good

http://www.trendesignautosports.com/...Autosports.htm = fastglass = legendary

[email protected] is the guys email, some one gave him a thumbs up but i think i recall someone also gave a thumb down. i recall reading someone saying they are an ebay company, and the guy supplies hoods to various retailers, like to Age Classic, or sold his business to age classic

did i miss any?

what about stuff like finished underside, or a smooth underside that is
completely gel coated, and hood pins, which hoods need them and do not, etc?

what is the consensus now-a-days?

thank you,
hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
I don't know that I can get a hood for my Bronco. I've heard about people having problems with aftermarket hoods needing work. I saw a guy with the stick-on hood scoops and figure if I want an aftermarket hood, I might as well get some stick-ons and have them fiberglassed in, for as much trouble as I hear the aftermarket ones are to fix. I'll have a nice looking hood, and not have to do all the swapping and worrying, and it'll be cheaper than getting an aftermarket hood by about 1/3 or less of the cost.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

a new hood is needed as a necessity as there isn't enough room under the 94/5 hood for a bullit intake. i thought about cutting a hole in the hood and getting a scoop but i do not think it would look as good as a fiberglass one. i was thinking about a 96 hood also but i don't want to swap all the stuff over and a dimple may still develop from the intake hitting the hood.

so far i'm looking at Age Classic or American sports car as the least problematic

any other opinions or comments?

thanks,
hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:35 PM
PostWhore

DO NOT... I REPEAT... DO NOT GO WITH THAT MUSTANGHOODS GUY. I bought mine from him, and I spent over a grand ($1,298.58 to be exact) JUST FIXING IT. Keep in mind, I paid around $600.00 on the hood, plus shipping! So I might have one of the most expensive hoods out their. The funny thing is... my hood looks the exact same as anyone elses. URGH!!!! I could have killed that guy (not literally).

-Kornhaus
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 AM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Hans...in order to use the 96/7 hood, all you need to swap is the headlights, corner lights, and the header panel. It's very easy to do (although you do have to pull the bumper off). It only took me about 3 or 4 hours to do, and that's going at a slow pace. Plus the 94/5 front end looks much more aggressive with 96/7 lights.

As far as your Bullitt intake goes. I know the intake doesn't fit under a 94/5 hood. However, I do know that Mike V. had one under his stock 96 hood. The way I see it, if you swapped to a 96/7 hood, you shouldn't have a problem fitting the intake under it...assuming the chassis/framing is identical under the engine from a 95 and 96. Follow what I'm saying?

Edit....here's an example of a 94/5 with 96/7 lights and the Legendary style hood...

~Jeff

*signed off
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
OHHHHH, so THAT'S how I'd get the ram air hood. I've been wanting one but I've got a 95 and they're rare as sin (ok, so the analogy really doesn't work). I was planning on the light swap at some point, didn't realize doing the hood after would be that easy. *adds another project onto his list*

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tip Kornhaus, definitely good to know...

jeff,
that looks pretty good. did you have to modify the nose of the hood any? i tried to find the picture (thought i had it saved) of someone who put a 96 hood on a 94/95. the nose or front part of the hood stuck out forward beyond where the 94/95 bumber was as well as there being a decent sized gap between the hood and bumber.

one of the reasons I was looking at the 96 hood was so that i could keep the sleeper look. but you have to cut all kinds of bracing and stuff out to make the bullit intake fit. also, i used 1 of those solid rubber motor mounts (the other broke during installation) so that raises the drivers side up a bit. i remember reading somewhere that the solid mounts are higher than the OEM mounts so not all things are identical and there maybe a problem... i guess there is no way to tell except to try it. i also remember reading somewhere about people who had the intake under the 96 hood and a small dimple forming in the hood where the intake was from it barely clearing the hood.

thanks,
hans
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 01:11 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Mike V. had the Bullitt with his stock hood. He did have to cut a small bit of the bracing out, but to look at the car from the outside, you'd never know it. If you're using the solid mounts I highly doubt it'll fit under the stock hood. Steve (1MTNCAT) even had to cut out part of his Legendary cowl hood to fit the Bullitt under it with the solid mounts.

As for the picture, that's not my car. Though my car looks just like that...without the hood. When you put the 96/7 header panel in, you can work with the alignment of the bumper cover to adjust the gap in the hood so the whole thing lines up. If you need a walk through on changing to the newer lights let me know.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks,

i've seen Mike Vs car with the bullit, very clean and sharp looking car, but i don't quite remember the underside of the hood looked like, i know it rubbed on something on the passenger side, but don't remember what was rubbing or if it was the liner ...

mmm... i'm only using the solid mount on the drivers side and since the inlet for the bullit is on the passenger side which (i'm using a mark 8 motor mount there) is where the hood contact would most likely be, it might just fit - i dunno

i was under the impression that for those who have the bullit and a glass hood, they all had to cut some parts of the hood out in the rear near the windsheild due to the intakes upper plenum routing to the back of the motor. for Steve (1MTNCAT) case, from what i remember seeing he had to cut out a section form the back part of the hood. i didn't think that was due to motor mounts, but from the way the plenum goes.

well someone just posted dissatisfaction with Age classic hoods, it was all warped and stuff, so is the american sports car hood the one to go with as least of all evils?

also which hoods come with a finished underside, or a smooth underside that is
completely gel coated, and hood pins, which hoods need them and do not, etc?

thank you,
hans
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 09:55 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Hood makers go both ways. You'll hear good and bad about any company out there...maybe with the exception of Cervini's which I've heard a very high quality. I don't believe anyone makes a hood with the finished underside since they're all pretty much identical. If you're going the glass hood route, I'd definetely go with hood pins. I've read of more than a few on here that have had the latch break and the hood flies up and breaks the windshield....also one of the guys that I work with had the same thing happen with his Stang. They're relatively cheap and it's worth it for the extra security IMO.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 11:21 PM
PostWhore

If you went with '96/'97 components this could be another option.

96/97 3" smooth cowl hood

Quote:
Originally posted by TydlwavS
They are looking to modify their 5" smooth cowl (99-04)Mustang hood. They'll do this by lowering the cowl and possibly widening the raised portion to match the angles of the 96-97 stock T-bird hood. ... I've attached a pic of the Mustang scoop that they will be modifying. I told him something in the range of 3-3.5" in height over the stock hood. ... Just a reminder that this is not a gel coated underside. The frame and top are finished, but not the underside of the cowl.

Quote:
Originally posted by TydlwavS
Ok, the rear of the hood should clear the Bullitt intakes. I spoke to VFN today(Frank and Armando). The fiberglass hood will have the rear of the hood along the line shown in black in the pic below. This should eliminate any throttle cable or intake issues with the hood. This should please 99.9% of you guys/gals.

I really don't see there being ANY clearance problems up front with centri blowers. My Vortech SQ unit fit under a stock hood with higher than expected motor mounts. Any raise in front should clear larger centri blowers(time will tell).
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTBird93
When you put the 96/7 header panel in, you can work with the alignment of the bumper cover to adjust the gap in the hood so the whole thing lines up.
how exactly do you work the alignment of the bumber cover, stuff something in there or stretch it someway. can it also be adjusted for the 96 hood nose being more forward than the 94/5 bumber?

JR Tigerstar, i saw that post and posted a reply a few weeks ago about if there is any future plan for a 94/5 hood but no reply on that. that could be another option - i didn't think of it as an option. thank you,

is the GP still going or is it already over. is it possible to order a hood after the GP or is it a one time thing?

Hans
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 02:59 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Han Solo
... is the GP still going or is it already over. is it possible to order a hood after the GP or is it a one time thing?
Hans
Last I remember, the E.T.A. on the hoods were Feb/March. You might want to contact TydlwavS. He is managing the group purchase.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 04:20 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Han Solo

how exactly do you work the alignment of the bumber cover, stuff something in there or stretch it someway. can it also be adjusted for the 96 hood nose being more forward than the 94/5 bumber?
I'll try to get some pics sometime tomorrow (already dark here) to try to show you what I mean about the alignment.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

a friend of mine told me that i could put spacers between the k-member and the subframe to to make up for the extra height from the solid motor mount. so there is good chance that a 96 hood would work without much problem. i am curious to see your picutures about the alighment. i think this may work

thanks,
hans
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 08:59 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Sorry, forgot all about the pics. I'll be sure to get them tomorrow since I only have one class.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 02:01 PM

Hello,

Rex is out of town this week. He'll catch up on his posts next week. Thank
you for your patience and everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:35 AM

uhhh....where can i get one of those "legendary style" hoods from for a 97 bird? that is the baddest *** looking front of a bird i've seen in a while.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
From legendary. Except they went outta business and resurfaced I think as fastglass. I'm pretty sure they're the only ones with the ram air intakes. And you can find ANYWHERE on this forums to not use them unless you expect to get charged out the arse, horrible customer service, long long waits, poor quality, bad shipping & a resolve to curse the name legendary for the rest of your life after you're finally done with the project. Oh, almost forgot, paint sticks differently to fiberglass than it does metal, so paint matching won't be perfect.

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in