Age Classic Cowl Hood - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 97TBirdGirl Send a message via Yahoo to 97TBirdGirl
Angry Age Classic Cowl Hood

OK I am very "miffed" about the hood I got from Age Classic Design and I was wondering if anyone else has problems with hoods from them. I took my car and my hood down to the best auto body place in my area and they took it out and set it on my car and the hood has MAJOR waves and dips, one side is WAY thicker than the other, and the shop says its going to take a lot of money to make it look right. They also said that it is from the hood being taken out of the mold before it was cool enough. Now, this was the only place that I could find that sold a hood like this and it was on the Most Wanted Parts page so I figured some of yall got yours from them. Is it only me that thinks I didnt pay $410 +shipping to get something that needs hundreds more dollars of work just to make it look the way it SHOULD have when I got it?????

Tiff

PS-and NO it is not "that time of the month"...so dont even go there...(luckey for everyone involved though)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:07 PM

A lot of people seem to have these problems from many different hood companies. Real shame, especally since its a lot of money to buy a hood, even if its perfect. I would call back, demand a new hood.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I'm going to first thing tomorrow, since their closed for the day. I just dont feel like getting greif from them like "oh it must be where you stored it" or "its from shipping damages" etc. I kept the hood in my house, on the dining room table flat, and right side up (im totally paranoid about stuff) and when it was shipped they didnt tell me it was comming in an 18 wheeler that was too big to turn in my drive way and had to stop in the road and unload it. That would have been fine if I didnt live on a road that is busy enough to be considered a highway. In the box it looked fine but on my car in good light it looks like I made the durn thing. I was just wondering if anyone else had to return one to these people

Tiff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

all f-glass hoods need to be "fitted"

but one sided thicker than the other? hmm... yep.. call em
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yep one side is a whole 2 inches thicker/higher than the other and in the top part of the cowl closer to the passenger side their is a 8 inch wide circle of very thin weak fiberglass that sinks in and along the front of the top of the cowl it has waves from side to side...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 06:28 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NUHBOY4.6
bought mine through fast-glass and picked it up. belive me it wasn't perfect, it was just a good thing i know a body shop owner. call and give them a rash of sh$$. and if possible, take to a few other shops and see what they say. you might be pleasantly suprised, plus if your sweet little lady it will always help.

***image removed from signature due to rule violation***
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

OK I went back to the shop today to take pics and ask them exactally what kind of work they would have to do to "fix" my hood. Well, they told me they would have to sand the whole thing down and totally reserface it with some kind of filler (not fiberglass, but I dont remember what it was called). I know nothing about fiberglass work and I wanted to know if this sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. Their is actually two spots with large thin spots that cause dips, both on the passenger side. Their calling me tomorrow with a $ estimate. So does it sound like I'm getting ripped off???
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesD
all f-glass hoods need to be "fitted"

but one sided thicker than the other? hmm... yep.. call em
"most", not all. my cervinis fit perfect with no inperfections.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by 97TBirdGirl
OK I went back to the shop today to take pics and ask them exactally what kind of work they would have to do to "fix" my hood. Well, they told me they would have to sand the whole thing down and totally reserface it with some kind of filler (not fiberglass, but I dont remember what it was called). I know nothing about fiberglass work and I wanted to know if this sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. Their is actually two spots with large thin spots that cause dips, both on the passenger side. Their calling me tomorrow with a $ estimate. So does it sound like I'm getting ripped off???
fiberglass work is expensive because of the labor portion.. it is time consuming...

post back with a price and we'll go from there
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

OK I got the quote today. $300 and it MIGHT get it to work. What do yall think?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 AM

So, it 'might' work. I would assume the hood would then be non returnable to the manufacture. So if it dosent work, how much would it cost, or could it even?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yea it wont be returable after they alter it, but I told them before they started that $300 better do the trick and if they "mess" (not the word I used with them) it up its going to be up to them to get another hood and make it look right. I got it in writing that it wont be more than $300 and that its their problem to make it look right from now on, or if they mess it up they'll get another one. I was gonna hassle the company I bought it from but since the body shop said they'll do it and all I just gave up and decided to go with that then "take whats behind curtan 2" which is screw around with the company I got it from.

Tiff
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
GJ on getting it in writing, that'll make all the difference if they decide to "screw" it up. Hope all turns out for ya

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 10:20 PM

well, i do a lotta glass work on boats etc , or at least did till my allergies kicked in on polyester and epoxy resins... Anyhow i got a cobra -R hood from ASC, and was just sick with the poor quality I got... I literally hadda rebuild the side structure where the hinge plates mount , flaws in gel coat, and lotsa other probs... made a lotta work before it was even kinda ready for the body guy. I added a lotta cowel and shape to it, so after reworking it a second time in as many years its not too bad , except for the shape I hadda add to accommodate my blower/ some induction stuff, BUT these glass hoods are POS, and not strong at best, so if ya dont "Need One" dont get one unless youre willing to either do an awful lotta work yourself (Idid 98 percent) or spend a huge chunk of change makeing it right with regard to fit and finish... Harwood hoods are pretty decent in my experience, but they dont do a t-Bird.... Age Classic and ASC T-Bird hoods are not known for high Quality. good luck at the Body shop , but $300 sounds pretty cheap to me....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in