Cross Brace - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Cross Brace

There's a cross brace underneath the car about mid way back (near the gas tank) that goes under the exhaust pipe & bolts to each side of the floor pan. Does anyone know how necessary this piece is? It seems to be the part of the underside of the car that takes the beating from speed bumps. I'd like to remove it but am not sure if it would cause any problems. Advise please.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Veteran Poster

If your goal is to loosen up the car and diminish any good handling your car ever had, then sure. start hacking off braces and crossmembers. I heard you can make a light K-member with some conduit and JB weld.

j/k
For real, I think if ford threw a weak little brace somewhere, it probably needed it.

94 V8 on 17" custom paint, R.I.P
97 Mark VIII LSC yeah
08 Ford Edge, white for now
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
You could always take it off and see what happens. I am not sure if it will make a big difference or not but since the subframe connectors that I have have their main bar in that spot (in place of that brace) then I would think it is at least decently important.

Russell

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Are you referring to the piece that is held on with four 8mm bolts? I'm not sure, but I believe it is a safety "doo-dad" for the driveshaft. If your front u-joint goes out, the driveshaft should be held up so your car doesn't do a pole-vault.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:31 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
Quote:
Originally posted by tinman_72
Are you referring to the piece that is held on with four 8mm bolts? I'm not sure, but I believe it is a safety "doo-dad" for the driveshaft. If your front u-joint goes out, the driveshaft should be held up so your car doesn't do a pole-vault.
the DS is between the body and the gas tank.......

Live in Louisiana? - Check out the LA Chapter forum!
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=78
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Oh well. My theory sounded good anyway. I was just going by memory, my car is not here.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thebigslide
That bar is to catch the exhaust should it rust out and fall. No problems after removing it. Ryan

Primer is lighter than basecoat/clearcoat... besides, going fast IS looking good.

Anyone want parts. I got BBQ'd
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 06:36 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kentwood
My opinion is that it's needed.

Ford is pretty cheap - they won't waste 5 cents let alone put an un-needed brace

Live in Louisiana? - Check out the LA Chapter forum!
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=78
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 07:52 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to thebigslide
Quote:
Originally posted by Kentwood
My opinion is that it's needed.

Ford is pretty cheap - they won't waste 5 cents let alone put an un-needed brace
Again, it's not a brace, it's just for the exhaust. Those tiny bolts aren't holding anything, plus, the location is not prone to any twisting forces at all in that direction. If you're worried about chassis torque, weld in subframe connectors (roughly 30 times the connective surface area of that bar) which will actually support the torque load along the vector it's being applied on.

Primer is lighter than basecoat/clearcoat... besides, going fast IS looking good.

Anyone want parts. I got BBQ'd
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 08:42 AM
4th Gear Poster

I second that mines been out for 4 years now no issues todate.

No matter how good she looks. No matter how cool she is about your "stuff". No matter how great she is in bed, someone somewhere is sick of her crap.

1995 850R with 18T, 3" downpipe, R.I.P. kit, ported intake,42lb injectors, N/A cams, 960 throttlebody, Rica tune(15psi in first and second 17psi in third and fourth). Bilsteins all around, V70R caliper and rotor upgrade, total lack of traction. IPD STB, Ultra Racing lower braces and RSTB.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 09:59 AM

Mine hasn't been there since my dual exhaust went on, and I never saw any difference without it. I have added subframe connectors recently though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 AM

Mine came off via ''blacktop'' when I lowered the car 2 years ago. I never noticed any difference. I would also say it's to prevent a broken intermediate exhaust pipe from plowing a furrow ! ThunderCentral
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
That bar is to catch the exhaust should it rust out and fall.
i'm with him, mine's been out since i swapped my tranny and when it was there the exhaust went right over it.

Quote:
there is already a driveshaft loop under the car. i kno because it caught my driveshaft when the slip yoke on my front u joint shattered

01- mustang cobra- lazer red -bbk o/r x pipe w/ 40 series, JLT, waiting to install 4.10's
04 ram- ya, its a hemi- [email protected] -sold!!
92 tbird sc- sold!!!- almost made it to the 60ft mark

newest sales rep at Herb Chambers Ford in Braintree, MA, pm me for info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in