Mirror Lights - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

Mirror Lights

Here's an idea I've been thinking about for a while...

I noticed that my Dad's Exploder has "puddle lights," which are just small lights on the bottom of the housing that illuminate when the interior lights (or entry system) are illuminated.
Has anybody tried to fabricate these or similar lights into a Thunderbird/Cougar mirror housing? I think it could look real smooth.
I mean, I'm surprised it wasn't an option on Ford's real luxury cars.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:44 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
I don't think I've ever seen anything for the birds, but that would be an awesome idea. I'd say maybe wire some small LEDs up to the courtesy lights and mount them in the small holes in the bottoms of the mirrors. The LED would sit right inside the hole, maybe protrude just a little, and illuminate in front of your door. Just my .02, LMK what you think

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 08:17 AM
PostWhore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i have a spare mirror at home and i have a couple of those lamps i took off some busted explorer mirrors , when i have spare few minutes. ill see how feasbale it would to install it into the bottom

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
awwww, look at the big cute floppy ears on those tbirds.. sorry, the M3 style mirrors don't look right on a bird.. stick out too much.

Jersey Rice
NJ Thunderbird & Cougar Club
Sold '96 Thunderbird LX 3.8l :: Cardomain Page
'93 Thunderbird SC 3.8l - 12 second car. 14 second driver.
'05 Toyota X-Runner
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Quote:
Originally posted by 8ate8
awwww, look at the big cute floppy ears on those tbirds..
that's frickin great.

I gotta give props to the guy with the bird, I'm not a huge fan of the mirrors, but I'm impressed with the amount of work he did

In the link, Tx_cat said the wire harnesses are different, but I'm sure it'd be easy to get a new wire harness and just splice the wires in. Maybe use a multimeter or wiring schematics to figure out what wire is what on both harnesses (for the new mirror and the car wiring)

cougar let us know what works out, sounds like a sweet idea

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Raoul Duke

I agree with everyone so far... including the mirrors on the blue T-bird up there. The mirrors we have from the factory are as sleek as you can get. Why change 'em?
Here's what I've been thinking:
Even if the wiring from an Exploder is different, that won't really be too much of a road block. I'm going to take my VU meter and test that rope of wires going into the door.
With the illuminated entry option, surely one of them must be "hot" with the interior lights.
Once I find that, all I need is a decent ground, which will also be easy to locate.
If there is any reason why we can't use the Exploder lights (hard to find?), we can use LEDs like Falcon suggested.
However, I would drill new holes because the existing ones are for water drainage... which is a nice feature.
I was looking at the cheap APC lights at AutoZone the other day, but I can't fathom installing anything from APC on my car. That's repulsive.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I've been eyeballing the mirrors on my 97 LSC for this very reason. I love the LED signal lights and the Puddle lamps on my LSC.

They look to be a close "bolt on" at first look, but upon closer inspection the molding is different between the two. So some major fabrication would be involved.

IMHO, the best bet would be to fabricate something on the bottom of the OEM MN12 mirror.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 10:36 AM
PostWhore

I agree the side mirrors on the blue bird are too big IMHO.

Quote:
Originally posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I've been eyeballing the mirrors on my 97 LSC for this very reason. I love the LED signal lights and the Puddle lamps on my LSC.

They look to be a close "bolt on" at first look, but upon closer inspection the molding is different between the two. So some major fabrication would be involved.

IMHO, the best bet would be to fabricate something on the bottom of the OEM MN12 mirror.
I was hoping you would see this thread.
I've been wondering if the '97/'98 Mark VIII side mirrors would "fit" on our MN-12s.
Thanks for the input Don.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Dim Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by cougarcragar
Even if the wiring from an Exploder is different, that won't really be too much of a road block. I'm going to take my VU meter and test that rope of wires going into the door.

I was looking at the cheap APC lights at AutoZone the other day, but I can't fathom installing anything from APC on my car. That's repulsive.
All you gotta do is pull the door panel off, the speaker out (I think), and you can reach into the door and find the plug for the mirrors to test, don't worry about the mass of wires. Like you said, just have to map out what wires are what

APC r teh sux0rs

+1

Elliot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in