Can You Hear Me Now? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Can You Hear Me Now?

I've got a 94 Bird with the factory, non-powered antenna. Either from the factory, or the previous owner, someone installed an antenna on the back windshield that is connected to a phone jack on the passenger's side of the gear shifter. I am trying to find out if it is possible, or if anyone has attempted to rewire it so that small back windshield antenna is the antenna for the radio, and delete and fill in the spot for the original antenna on the fender. If it is possible, how do you think the reception would be since the top of the antennas are about the same height off the ground, but the back one is much smaller. In help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

I'm not antenna-savvy, but aren't antennas "tuned" for a specific frequency range? i.e., since radios and cellular phones operate on different frequencies, the antenna for a phone may not lend itself well to a radio.

I have heard of hidden FM antennas that you could install, and I'm rather certain 'caps' are available, one way or another, to fill in the OEM radio antenna area.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I never thought about the different frequencies, but you may have a good point. I know there are some hidden antennas out there, but I haven't heard a lot of good comments about them. I talked to someone that said it didn't work that great for him and that outside noise disturbs it. Whoever installed this antenna on my back windshield had to cut through the windshield and attach it on both the inside and out, so needless to say I will not be removing it. Maybe I can get an antenna the same size to fit there that is meant for fm frequencies? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Warlockguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to Warlockguitarman
this is a lil off the subject but i had a hiddin antenna on my old car, it was a 77 buick skylark, the antenna was just 2 little wires that were inside my front windshield, unless someone knew it was there nobody could find it.

96 pearl white 4.6 tbird: rebuilt npi block with pi heads, pi intake, crower stage 2 cams, shm high lift springs, L-MAF, 3.73's, marauder converter, jmod, kooks headers, xpipe, no cats, 2.5 in exhaust, no mufflers, a dyno tune, lots of interior work, 1 in drop with lots of new bushings, 18 in rims. 279 hp 319 tq. curently running 13.9 at 101 mph with a 2.1 60 time in 100 degree weather while having some nasty spark knock. Soon to have higher stall, aftermarket intake manifold, weight reduction, and hopefully a nice shot of the giggle gas.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

How was the reception? I wouldn't mind putting a hidden antenna in, and still removing the factory one, just using the one in the back for show. I heard the reception isn't great.

Does anyone know for sure if an antenna originally set to be used for a car phone is set to a different frequency than fm radio antennas? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Warlockguitarman
this is a lil off the subject but i had a hiddin antenna on my old car, it was a 77 buick skylark, the antenna was just 2 little wires that were inside my front windshield, unless someone knew it was there nobody could find it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Warlockguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to Warlockguitarman
well i had a LOT of money im my sound system and the radio had great reception, that system is now in my tbird and the antenna in my buick had better reception than my tbird does. but they do sell antennas that will work fine on your back windshield, just go to auto parts stores and walmart im sure you will find one made for radio.

96 pearl white 4.6 tbird: rebuilt npi block with pi heads, pi intake, crower stage 2 cams, shm high lift springs, L-MAF, 3.73's, marauder converter, jmod, kooks headers, xpipe, no cats, 2.5 in exhaust, no mufflers, a dyno tune, lots of interior work, 1 in drop with lots of new bushings, 18 in rims. 279 hp 319 tq. curently running 13.9 at 101 mph with a 2.1 60 time in 100 degree weather while having some nasty spark knock. Soon to have higher stall, aftermarket intake manifold, weight reduction, and hopefully a nice shot of the giggle gas.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

THANKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Warlockguitarman
well i had a LOT of money im my sound system and the radio had great reception, that system is now in my tbird and the antenna in my buick had better reception than my tbird does. but they do sell antennas that will work fine on your back windshield, just go to auto parts stores and walmart im sure you will find one made for radio.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Quote:
Originally posted by 504 Bird
Whoever installed this antenna on my back windshield had to cut through the windshield and attach it on both the inside and out, so needless to say I will not be removing it.
Don't think so as far as i cam remember from my old glazing days you cannot cut/drill tempered glass.

Its more than likely inductive.

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Im not familiar with the term inductive. I know I can't get it off, atleast not without a good deal of force. Wouldn't it have to be cut or drilled through for the wire to the antenna to connect to it because on the inside of the window you can see the wire come down from the ceiling liner and connects on the inside.

Edit: Just looked up inductive in the dictionary, so the signal would be emitted through the window, that could explain it too. I will go check tonight, I hope it's not drilled through the window because it's not even in the middle you can tell it's off when looking at the keyhole in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 Chero

Don't think so as far as i cam remember from my old glazing days you cannot cut/drill tempered glass.

Its more than likely inductive.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Raoul Duke

Honda Accords from the late-'90s have the factory antenna in the rear glass.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
Quote:
Originally posted by 504 Bird
Wouldn't it have to be cut or drilled through for the wire to the antenna to connect to it because on the inside of the window you can see the wire come down from the ceiling liner and connects on the inside.
they go through the weatherstripping, not the window.

Jersey Rice
NJ Thunderbird & Cougar Club
Sold '96 Thunderbird LX 3.8l :: Cardomain Page
'93 Thunderbird SC 3.8l - 12 second car. 14 second driver.
'05 Toyota X-Runner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in