Project: Painting My Car - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Project: Painting My Car

One of my friend's dad is going to be painting my car the same color, Graphite Nightmist Pearl Metallic Code ZU. I'm not expecting the best job but atleast decent. He doesn't have a booth but a shop. I know about dirt and dust and stuff. Anyway, he says he's gonna do 6 clearcoats. Is this too much or will it shine better. Also, will quick drying clearcoat I guess still have a factory shine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:41 AM
drag-aholic

i guess the best you could do would be wet the floor to keep the dust down. any minor dust in the clear should cut out before you polish. 6 coats of clear is a lot but i guess it depends how thick they are. you will loose some when you wet sand. i think prep will be more of an issue than dust. quick drying clear? its catalized so i guess it depends on the temp range of the hardner i would guess. you will want a hardner made for cold weather or it will take forever to cure.

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

I think he said we're weren't gonna wet sand it? Do we have to sand all the clearcoat off or would it be safe to leave some on just make it smooth. I meant quick drying hardner not clearcoat**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Only you can prevent modular fires

Send a message via AIM to Nicktcfcsb Send a message via Yahoo to Nicktcfcsb
From a fellow ZU owner, ZU done with PPG and done right will be about the best looking factory paint color ever, most people think my car is some aftermarket color.

Dry rot is the sh*t.

"Thunder-cougar-falcon-cobra-stang-mark8-SC-bird" IS SOLD!

Dodge VIPER GTS blown and winged.

1987 Saleen #79 Turbocharged # 40 On the Top 100 Rarest Mustangs!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM
drag-aholic

you dont have to wet sand it, but that is how you get rid of the orange peel look to the paint. it will not remove all the clear, unless you sand too much. it will just the high spot down to where the lows are. maybe a few mils. this will also sand out any surface dust that got on the clear

1989 LX Full Air Suspension
Owner / Operator BAGGEDBIRDS.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Helps to wet sand it. Here's what my brother's Cavy looks like after he got it back. He did the wetsanding himself to save on money and acutally get into what is done in a paint job, since that's what he's going into:

The guy painted it, and my brother pretty much did the rest of the work. He spent several hours over at the guy's shop.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Where can I get Graphite Nightmist Pearl Metallic at online? We have a local paint store but wouldn't I be able to save online? Anyway, list a website or two if possible.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 07:43 AM

A quick tip:

400 wetsand the entire car before you paint it, no need to take off the clear. The old paint should have no shiney spots left, it should all be dull. Feather in any rock chips with 320, and then use sealer on any spots where you go through the paint. Have him shoot the paint. 4 coats of clear should be plenty for anyone, no need for 6, it's just more money. When the paint and clear is done, 1000 grit wetsand it until it doesn't have any orange peel left in it, avoid sanding on the corners if possible, since the paint will be thin there. After that, get a high speed orbital polisher, not just a buffer, and a good polishing pad, I use the new type, not wool, but it's more expensive, and 3M polishing compound from a body repair store, not the stuff you buy at Autozone. Good luck, you'll have strong hands and fingers by the time it's over with.

The stripes down the side are where it was 320'd to remove the marks where someone keyed my car. They are just down to the factory primer in most spots.
During Wet Sanding:

Dull finish:

Last edited by Rich95XR7; 12-10-2004 at 07:48 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 08:44 AM
5th Gear Poster

I was thinking about trying to repaint my roof since that is the only part that looks bad. Now I might try it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Color code ZU? Is that the color of the paint on my old bird (it was only available in 1995-1996...here is the color, I love it....

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Could I have a website where I could get the ZU paint from?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Only you can prevent modular fires

Send a message via AIM to Nicktcfcsb Send a message via Yahoo to Nicktcfcsb
WHOO HOO FOR ZU!!!!!!

Dry rot is the sh*t.

"Thunder-cougar-falcon-cobra-stang-mark8-SC-bird" IS SOLD!

Dodge VIPER GTS blown and winged.

1987 Saleen #79 Turbocharged # 40 On the Top 100 Rarest Mustangs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in