Sylvania Xtra Vision = Euro Osram Silverstars? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Sylvania Xtra Vision = Euro Osram Silverstars?

Just wondering. I know that's what's claimed, but I installed a set tonight and to me the light just doesn't look as white as what's on my US Silverstars. Did a side by side after changing one of them. I'm not sure if it's any brighter or not, can't really tell.

I DID take some Meguir's polish to the lights though. Wow, that made a huge difference in how they looked. I've still got a bunch of small swirls and scratches, though I'd imagine I could get rid of those with more work (I didn't have enough polish and patience to keep going). If I had a blow torch, I'd seriously consider trying to flame polish it the rest of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Anything But Typical

Send a message via AIM to BambiRambino47
Xtra visions are nowhere near as bright as Silverstars. They are a nice step up from regular lights, but not quite that bright.

--Molly
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 PM
PostWhore

Cool

I have a set of the Silverstars as well. They work great.The composite headlights on these cars are designed to throw a wider beam as opposed to a long one. The best way to clean your lenses- buy a product that is designed to clean plastic lenses, or you can use Meguiar's step 1 paint cleaner, or at least a very mild rubbing compound. Apply it a little at a time and gently rub a small area at a time. If they are really yellowed, you can use a very fine steel wool. Once you've got them cleaned, you need to use a polish to remove the swirls. Then finish off with a coat of wax. It's alot of elbow grease, but you will like the results. Plastic composite lenses are proned to yellowing. You will see a big improvement when your done. I hope this helps!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiRambino47
Xtra visions are nowhere near as bright as Silverstars. They are a nice step up from regular lights, but not quite that bright.

--Molly
So it seems. But it seems on so many discussions, people say that the Osram branded Silverstars are the best and brightest ones but aren't available here. The US Silverstars are different and have a slight blue tint to the glass. The Sylvania branded Xtra-Visions are supposed to be the same as the Osram Silverstars. Or so I understood. Was I missing something?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

in my opinion, i like the us silverstars the best. there was a few other threads on this , saying otherwise, but i have tried them all,

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:39 PM
PostWhore

Extravision and Silverstars are both Sylvania's. Osram is just the name of the Parent company. Extravision is the bulb above stock, and Silverstar is suppose to be about the best you can get other than HID, which is a totally different tech.. The wattage is the same between the bulbs, suppose to be? It's the differance in the gas in the bulbs. The silverstar is suppose to burn hotter, which produces a stronger and brighter light.

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 01-02-2005 at 09:57 PM. Reason: wrong word
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar28
Just wondering. I know that's what's claimed, but I installed a set tonight and to me the light just doesn't look as white as what's on my US Silverstars. Did a side by side after changing one of them. I'm not sure if it's any brighter or not, can't really tell.

Read this thread; you'll get all the info about Sylverstar/Xtravision etc.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=53746

without an upgraded wiring harnes, you won't see better light no matter what you put on; the oem wiring doesn't allow the bulbs to operate on max. wattage anyway.

the U.S.Silverstar is inferior to the Xtravisions.
The blue tint in Silverstars steal light. they "look" brighter, but they don't put out more light at all..it's a nice optical illusion, according to lighting expert Mr. Daniel Stern.

in the most recent test done by a UK-survey, the US-silverstars were not even in the top ten.

No.1 Osram (euro) silverstar (almost=XtraVsion in U.S.)
No.2 Philips VisionPlus (now in U.s., finally!)
No.3 Philips High Visibility (also in U.S.)

The XtraVisions are, cheaper, and a LOT brighter

a better harness and one of the above mentioned bulbs is the only "real' solution.

Here's some expert tech info about that fact..and more.
www.danielsternlighting.com

Last edited by ortbird; 01-03-2005 at 05:08 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
PostWhore

Cool

If your still confused, go to the Sylvania web sight at www.Sylvania.com. Then click product catalog, then click " browse at " at automotive lighting. Click on the comparison chart link to the left for the differant style of bulbs. Then you'll see the real differance between these bulbs. As for the link I went to that shows the bulb with the bent plug, that bulb is style 9005 low beam, or 9006 high beam and is not meant for use in the T'bird. The bulb it's self is the same, the plug is made to fit a differant vehicle. The wiring harness would only need to be changed if you went with HID's. The extra wattage of these bulbs also usually require the use of a seperate relay to handle them. Some HID kits usually have all the necesarry hardware, but are expensive.

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 01-03-2005 at 10:09 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in