Help me fit 265's all around... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Danimal
Help me fit 265's all around...

I just scored a set of 265 45 16 Kumho Victoracer's for $70 I think.

I have the older spindles cause the car is a 1992 Sport, so I should be able to fit them on a nice 8" wide 16" wheel, right? Lonnie had 275's all around...

I wanna fit these tires for auto crossing, what offset of wheel should I be looking for? I'm obviously not worried about the rear tires, but the fronts will need a decent amount to clear the spindle and upper ball joint.

Thanks,
-danimal

Webmaster of www.danimalrocks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

The car was designed to have a wheel with 39mm offset. Unless you would have contact with the balljoint, that is the preferred offset. If you have contact, you need a wheel with less offset.

What you really need is for someone to say "I put on 255's and it was ___ inches from the balljoint." you mentioned Lonnie, so ask him.

What you could do is use you current setup to find your current offset, how much clearence you want to leave, and how much the 265 tire will stick over the 8" rim. from there you can calculate your needed offset.

backspacing=(rim width/2)+offset
offset= backspacing-(rim width/2)

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:54 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
I think they say that 255's wind up being about 1cm (1/2 inch) away from the ball joints.

I'll find out next week when I get my new 255/50/17's mounted on my LS wheels, and put onto my car .

But the performance difference from 255 to 265 is so miniscule, I highly doubt it's worth screwing around getting them to fit on.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 07:21 PM

honestly, i think the tires are way to wide for the wheels. 265/45 is more than 10 inches wide. i think you'll need at least a 9.5 inch wide wheel to make the tire function properly. i'm not saying it wont fit on the wheel, i'm just saying you wont be happy with it. the center of the tire will wear prematurely, as its being pinched. think of it like holding a ruler by each end, then pulling the ends together, creating an arc in the center, thats what you'll be doing with these tires. a 255 or 245 would do just fine. the type/brand of tire makes abit of difference also. to put it mildly, kumho isnt the best. i run 245/50-17 michelin pilot a/s's and can barely get them to chirp on my 94 sc. my point being if you go with a better tire in not such a wide size, you can have far better traction.
michael
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

yeah, sounds like he bought a bunch of rear tires.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The victoracers are amazing tires, i have plenty of experience with them. Please don't post your "hear-say" here.

I have fit 275 40s with great results on a 9" rim, That is not at all the issue. Have you guys ever even dealt with these sizes of tires???

If you don't know the answer,don't post here.

-danimal

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Danimal
The victoracers are amazing tires, i have plenty of experience with them. Please don't post your "hear-say" here.

I have fit 275 40s with great results on a 9" rim, That is not at all the issue. Have you guys ever even dealt with these sizes of tires???

If you don't know the answer,don't post here.

-danimal
shoot an email over to lonnie. from the info i have on him for the calendar, hes running 17x9's on his 5.0 and i believe they are the same 5x4.25's that i have and not a mustang wheel. if thats the case and he is indeed running 275 up front, then you should be all set
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 08:14 PM

Well put Danimal, I couldn't have said it better myself :p
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

lonnie has the 4 x 4.5" bolt pattern, but he's running smaller tires now because he has the newer spindles (hence the cobra brakes). I remember before that he was running 275 michelin pilots on all 4's a few years ago, but when he switched to the new brakes the best he could run (even after notching the spindle) is 255's.

I decided to let the deal on the victoracers pass, I'll probably just break down and get some 17x9's (anyone want to sell some cheap!?!?). I'll get some sticky 275's for racing and keep my 7.5" cobra r's and 245's for street use. What a waste of money

-danimal

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JoelBender
Well put Danimal, I couldn't have said it better myself :p
Except that the DTC stands for Discount Tire Company, so he's not speaking "hear-say", tires is what he does for a living.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

ohh, busted. I looked at his profile right before you posted that...hehehe.

Either way, I really have liked the way 275's fit on 9" rims, and that's what I'll be going with. I am not using these for everyday use anyways. These wheels and tires will only be used at autoX events. I am not worried about "chirping" my tires, but looking for a big ole set of rollers for all 4 corners to keep my car planted. I currently have 245 45 ZR17's on my 7.5" cobra r's, and I'm not happy with the traction (they are Dunlop SP SPORT 5000's).

Hey DTC dude, got any suggestions on a tire for whipping my boat around the corners?

Thanks guys, sorry I got pissed. I asked a question and I got the same old crap from the same old people and I get a bit upset. These questions are not inteded for everyone...if you can't answer the question, get the hell outta here and go back the the newbie forum.

-danimal

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:56 AM

did you email lonnie? thats gonna be your one stop resource for an answer, almost guaranteed.

also, just a personal opinion... if you are looking at using these for autoX, where a little oversteer would be to your advantage, you might not get that with having such a wide tire up front. with the wheel and tire setup i have right now, it will still understeer mildly without any "right foot induced" oversteer. those wide tires up front are gonna grab the road well, and may not give you the oversteer you might be looking for on a course.

just my $.02
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

good thinking. If i'm adding the addco 1 1/4" sway bar though, I think it might create a fairly neutral car, but with a touch of oversteer. What do you think? Right now with the SC sway bars front and rear, intrax springs, tokico shocks and those 245 45's, i get some understeer as the nose will dive into the corner a bit much. I have heard that the 1 1/4 addco bar will help elminate that roll into the corner that causes the understeer. I just figured the wider tire would help keep the front end in check and planted...anyones thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

-danimal

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:16 PM

ok, you know what? i must have been really tired last night when i wrote that, because now it just doesnt make sense to me. now ive gone and confused myself

EDIT:

ok now i remember. a long long time ago i was schooled in road handling by a guy that had a Z28. he told me that it was his experience that a skinny tire up front is going to grab more than a wider tire because it will basically cut more than the wider would. he liked a stock size from tire with a little aggressive camber, in the front. nothing too wild, just enough to "cut" with. but i will tell you that it is not my experience as ive never tried wider than 255 up front, and when i did the tires were junk so i didnt do too much aggressive driving.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:09 PM

danimal,
sorry to get on your bad side for a second there. if you want to spend the money, go for the michelin pilots. if those are a bit salty, try bfg kd or kdw. yokohama makes some nice tires for even better prices. as for a good budget tire, i've heard nothing but good about falkens. kumhos on the other hand, 1 in 10 have nothing negative to say about them. i've chatted with a csr from kumho a few times and she even admitted, with all the complaints she gets, those tires are poop.
shadowdragon,
thanks for the back-up while i was out of town. i'll admit i'm not the most mechanicall person when it comes to our cars, but when it comes to tires and wheels, if i dont know the answer, i have the tools at work to help me find the answer.
for everyone else,
if you have any tire or wheel questions, let me know, drop me a line. i dont get to read all the posts here, and with being out of town for the weekend, i dont have time to sift through 10,000 posts often.
michael
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Dude...I'll totaly admit it, i was being an ***. I didn't really read your post other than the "to be honest, kumho isn't that great of a tire". Everyone here is quick to throw out there opinions without any knowledge behind it. yeah, turns out if i would have read your post, I would have seen that it wasn't your opinion, it was pretty much your experience talking.

SORRY!

It's good to have someone here who can really help on tires and wheels though...cause most of us have no clue.

Which Yoko's do you reccomend? I am deffinately on a budget, so the BFG kd's are outta the question pretty much.

Hey J-Rob, I sorta see where you are coming from...but the way I see it...the harder the front can stick (wider tire = more contact patch to spread out the force of turning on the tire...thus more traction) the more oversteer you could possibly have. I have no experience with this though...so keep your thoughts comming!

Thanks again!
-danimal

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 02:56 PM

if youre on a budget, i have zero complaints from my kuhmo ecsta supra's and they were dirt cheap. but thats just my opinion, i havent heard anyone really complain about them. they hook pretty well, but that could simply be from them being so wide out back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in