Custom Driving Light Locations... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Custom Driving Light Locations...

well i was thinking about installing hellaff75 driving lights..*had a bad experience with night driving awhile ago and i want more lighting for now*..i already am pleased with having my PIAA foglights in the foglight holes but i want to add driving lights in the other inserts in my bumper

i want to install them there but how would i go about takin the black inserts out?..would i have to remove the whole bumper or jus reach under the bumper and have them pulled out?..i always wanted to mount driving lights there but how would i go about this?..would that look weird or anyone think i should do that?.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
isnt it illegal to drive around with driving lights on?

i thought i read that somehwere.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

I think in some states, fog lights are to be on in conjunction with the low beams and driving lights can be used with the high beams. In other states, driving lights can only be used off road.

Mike--I don't think those are "inserts". I think they are part of the header panel or bumper support (or something like that) and are there to direct air towards the radiator for cooling. If you really want to take them out, just cut the fins. I don't know how it would affect the cooling though. Also, be carefull of the ABS sensors. I know they are behind the bumper cover somewhere but just don't know their exact location off the top of my head.

Kevin
Mid-Atlantic Drag Racing Team. 15.589 @ 88.64 mph
MAMN12.COM

Get all your Ford parts from Dan Newman

Green 95 4.6L Thunderbird LX
*J-Modded 00 Mustang GT Transmission and torque converter*
*Mark VIII Flexplate*
*K&N*
*Eibach Springs*
*Hayden Transmission cooler*
*3.27 Trac-loc*
*Removed air silencer*
*Swapped Climate Control and Radio Locations*
*MARCH underdrive pulleys--soon to come*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

grrrr...would puting driving lights in the foglight holes be point less?..isnt it supposed to be more than that low?..or aimed straight?.

-Mike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Raoul Duke

Do you really need six lights up front?
Just use your fog lights as "driving lights."

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

fog lights illuminate light up front and the sides of the car..thats what foglights are for no?..foglights are used during foggy conditions to light up the floor and not blind people...driving lights i believe light up fowards in front of the car for a better driving condition...

imagine silvertar headlights with PIAA foglights and hella driving lights...mmm can we say yum?

-Mike
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 PM
PostWhore

Please don't put lights there. You will look like a pre-runner t-bird.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

grrrrrrr....fine fine fine ill take out my piaa's then put the hella's there..

anyone wanna buy PIAA foglights?...55w H3 bulbs..grrrrr

-Mike
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop2oo2

imagine silvertar headlights with PIAA foglights and hella driving lights...mmm can we say yum?

-Mike

No, but I can say "blind other drivers."

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:23 AM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Just so you know....this is what it looks like behind the bumper...you can kinda see the fins in this shot...

~Jeff

*signed off
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'd have to agree, lights in that spot aren't going to look good (there's actually a guy locally I've seen with lights there... looks horrible IMO)

What' I'd do in your situation though is throw the driving lights in the fog light holes and then stick the fog lights side by side up under the middle (tucked way back)

or if you can find a decent set, get something like i have with driving lights and fog lights in the same housing (4 bulbs - 55W each). Doesn't work too bad, but the set I have is rather yellowed...

MidwestThundercats.com
15.183 @ 91.19mph - 2.236 60' :: nothing but a tune and 103s
178.7RWHP :: 244.2RWTQ
Sold

Driving a Chevy, next is a Mustang.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Who is John Galt?

I think the Hella Optilux 2020 is close to the same size as the FF75's and has driving and fog lights. They seem to be good models. Just a thought

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:29 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
u trying to land airplanes with ur headlights??
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Cougar Pilot

My FF75 driving lights were about the best $40 I ever spent. However, new headlights aimed properly might just solve everything for you, as yours are quite ****ed. In the areas I drive the driving lights are pretty much needed, and they shine a good half a mile ahead.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well i aimed the lights and everything is waayyy better than stock but still i wanted to add to what the silverstars dont do..hmmm putting foglights in the middle tucked back sound like a good idea..But wouod i have to put the drivign lights in the middle seeing how they are driving lights and would i keep the foglights in the foglight holes cuz they are meant for lighting up close to the ground?..

Quote:
u trying to land airplanes with ur headlights??
DURRHHH!!..lol

-Mike
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:28 PM
CEO, WT Club

Send a message via AIM to GODSPEED Send a message via MSN to GODSPEED
Quote:
well i aimed the lights and everything is waayyy better than stock but still i wanted to add to what the silverstars dont do
What the silverstars dont? I have silverstars and they are amazing, there is no way you should need 2 extra sets of lights. I plan on getting some extra foglights eventually, but it's almost pointless because I don't really need them. By no means at all do I think you should have 2 extra sets of lights, it's way out of control. Not only will you be blinding other drivers and making a dangerous situation for yourself and others, but you are making your car look like a Christmas tree. Keep the silverstars, have an extra set of lights to use in nasty weather, but sell off the extra set of lights and then no offense but do something to your car that serves a purpose.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

'13 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L V8, Auto, Brembo, Black - Daily Dark Horse
'11 Edge SEL AWD 3.5L V6, Loaded, Black - For the Misses
'98 F-150 XLT RegCab 8'Bed, 4.6L V8 4x4 ORP Oxford White - Work Truck

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Keep the silverstars, have an extra set of lights to use in nasty weather, but sell off the extra set of lights and then no offense but do something to your car that serves a purpose.
*SLAP*...why thank you...i needed that
ionno i guess i wanted the most lighting seeing how theres a road i drive home on that scares the crap out of me..and a week ago there was a little pile up and i could see a little outline of the accident but i couldnt see THAT far..so slammed my brakes and ended going in the ditch..funny that the car is ok no scratches *trust me took like 30 minutes checkin mah baby*..no damage drivetrain wise..and i wasnt pleased with my silverstars..i thought if that i coulod see a little farther i would have seen them..yea silverstars do rock vs stock but my girlfriends STOCK camry 9006 headlights are brighter..wth...

instead of adding more light maybe i could improve it?..say..a competition lighting harness for our 9007's?..any where that i couod find a set besides abay?..

-Mike
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop2oo2
well i was thinking about installing hellaff75 driving lights..*had a bad experience with night driving awhile ago and i want more lighting for now*..i already am pleased with having my PIAA foglights in the foglight holes but i want to add driving lights in the other inserts in my bumper

i want to install them there but how would i go about takin the black inserts out?..would i have to remove the whole bumper or jus reach under the bumper and have them pulled out?..i always wanted to mount driving lights there but how would i go about this?..would that look weird or anyone think i should do that?.

-Mike
First off you bastage, you jacked my idea; FF75 fogs and FF50 driving lights.

Fogs are supposed to be stay down low, they have a short wide beam pattern to help illuminate the sides of the roads & road lines. Driving lights have a thin long a$$ beam pattern to see far ahead at night. Both have a very low cut-off.

To mount the lights in the air inlets (ff50 or 75) you'd have to take the bumper cover off, cut off the fins that direct air in, and mount the lights to the header panel or the frame cross-member.

Laws about running/driving lights vary from municipality to municipality, you'll have to check with your county/state patrol

Personally, I think if done right it'd look pretty sweet to have two sets. Besides, I like the idea of having HID high beams, fog lights & driving lights lighting the CRAP outta the road when you don't gotta worry about other ppl being around (all the time when I drive)

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal

Last edited by Falcon5783; 01-16-2005 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in