Flip foward front end - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Flip foward front end

I've done a couples of searches and have come up pretty much empty handed on this one.

I'm looking to go to Wyotech, and I was talking to someone who's already been, and we got to planning not just a flip forward hood, but a flip forward front end. Stick the hood, fenders, and bumper cover together, put it on pins in the front end so that you could slide the whole thing forward an inch to clear headlights (I'm still figuring out how to do corners), and tilt the front assy forward. I'd probably leave the wheel wells alone. What's everybody think? Anybody have help to offer up?

+1

Elliot
'95 who-the-hell-knows-what in progress
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:16 PM

sounds like a pretty sweet idea, I've done some searches for one piece front ends, bit havent gotten any true one piece. the closest I've gotten is at hairyglass.com, but its a racing part, doesnt include a hood, and you'd have to cut out the fiberglass headlight molds in the clip to mount real ones, but best of luck to you Thats my $.02
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:03 PM

I don't know if this will help but here's a pic of someone that did it(if this is what your wanting to do)

http://www.gaugemagazine.com/2004/oc...owdown_118.htm

i'll try and see if i can find more but for right now, this is all i can find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:12 PM

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Send a message via AIM to Falcon5783 Send a message via MSN to Falcon5783 Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon5783
Thunderchick thanks for the links, that's the same idea I'm talking about, although w/out the ghetto paint/decals/bodywork all on a grand am

DSBird I'm probably going off on my way to Wyotech sometime this year so I'd probably do this as a project for school.

I'm no good at photochopping, so here's what I whipped up real quick with my mad MS Paint skills the lines are where the flip-forward assembly would separate from the body/frame/etc

Now bear with me...
  • Custom fab my own Ram Air hood, do the 96/7 headlight swap.
  • Fab the hood out of steel and attach the hood, fenders, and front bumper cover together as one piece
  • Not sure where to cut the fenders because of the splash guards & UCAs, I'll poke around sometime and figure out a good line
  • Add hood pins at the top of the hood/etc to fasten the hood down for the road
  • Once the front assy is together I'm looking for the right pins to tilt the front end forward. I'll need something where I can unlatch the assy, pull it forward an inch, and then tilt it forward. The 1" slide would be to clear lights etc.
  • The headlights I'll leave attached to the header panel, along with driving lights in the air inlets, and fog lights in the lower lights spot. I'll keep the 3 sets of lights on the header panel and frame crossmember so I don't have to worry about disconnecting wiring when I pull the assy forward
  • The corner lights I'm still puzzled about. If they remain attached to the header panel, the fenders won't clear when the assy is pulled forward. They might end up having to be attached to the pull forwars assy

I was hoping to leave the headlights on the header panel to make aiming easier but if I can't find the right pins for the project (where I can pull the whole front end piece forward) I'll have to put the lights on the assembly.

+1

Elliot
2003 Mustang Cobra radiator, 180* T-stat, Hayden Ultra-cool auxiliary transmission cooler, 13" slotted/cross-drilled front rotors, Dual-Piston PBR calipers Powder Coated Red w/ black logo, 17" 7-spoke Chrome Motegis, JVC Arsenal 5000 HU with touch screen, Kappa 5x7's, Audiobahn 12 pushing 550 rms, FF50 driving lights, FF75 fog lights, xenon 95 air dam, 97 side skirts, rear window tbird decal
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:19 PM

true, thatd be a good opportunity to get that done, and i was reading over what you posted, and i got some ideas which might help you out:

1: for the corner lights, (im not too sure if this can be done or not) use Bondo to like make a slot to fit the corners in so that you could just drill holes in the bondo for the studs and wiring harness, and as for aiming, you could use the bolts to create a proper aiming angle with some threadlock so they dont move
2: As for the hinge, I would try to mount it as low as possible (maybe the radiator support) to prevent any scraping of the back end of the front clip with the rest of the body of the car, and i believe if the hinge were low enough, you wouldn't need to slide the clip out an inch before opening it.
and 3: If you do need to slide it out still, a possible solution would be one of those little tracks used for cabinets, those things can hold a LOT of weight lol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Well, in theory, I could create housings for the headlights & corners lights to still attach to the flip-forward piece and still aim them. If that's the case I might be able to completely do away with the header-panel. Obviously I'd still keep the bumper support.

I'm gonna put the hinge as low and forward as possible. I guess the guys at Wyotech have a pattern for pins that hold hella weight, so I could create a bigger one or modify it as necessary.

lol at the cabinet glides, I'll have to keep that in mind

+1

Elliot
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 PM
4th Gear Poster

kevin got you thinkin hes good at that

"Im from the G and Im proud"
(The G is Granite City)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:15 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
I'd recomend keeping the headlights and corners as part of the unit that flips forward. If you place the hinge low enough in the front, you wont necasarily need to slide the front end forward. However you may need to modify the fenders.

My Chevy II has a setup like this. When I get back from classes and such today I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about.

math > pasta
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:33 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
awesome idea. my couisin went to wyo tech and i said about doin the same thing to my car. he said it would b cool and very possible. he turned into a jerk though so ill never get it. but anyway that will b super sweet!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
heres a few different views of what we did to my chevy.

in the above pic you can see the frame extensions where the front end attatches and swivels just below the radiator.

this is a more current picture, different view of the front frame.

This is the doghouse (all sheetmetal, no fiberglass, though the bumper will eventually be fiberglass). You can see a little of the reinforcements we did to the front bulkhead. The bulkhead is very rigid now (and heavy), the fenders flex a bit.

Another view of the front sheetmetal, you can see where the front fenders were modified so it could hinge open without having to slide forward. You can see the pieces they mate up to in the first pic. There 2 pins on either side that line the 2 pieces up and keep them alligned while the "hood" is closed.

math > pasta
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Dim Bulb

Thanks all for the support, it's glad to know I've got backup

Tricky Kevin and I have been talking about wyotech and bird ideas a lot, he's been a huge help. 10x more than the damn school reps

Thunder sorry to hear about it man. Maybe after I get done with my schooling I might post a how-to or we can talk about working on it for ya.

Stupid thanks for the pics & the input. I've only seen a few after-market pics so far. I'll try to keep the lights in the hood, trying to keep them aimed is the catch. Is your hood removeable (I was hoping to make mine that way)?

+1

Elliot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in